Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon new FD 1,8/50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Canon new FD 1,8/50mm Reply with quote

I am pleased to use moderately priced lenses.

This one is the humblest. The nifty fifty. I am pleased to introduce the Canon FD hair nose. Yes, not FL chrome nose. I bought this lens from an ebay seller who sacrificed the price at 19 €. The lens had certainly been opened, for haze fungus or whatever else and the former owner did drop behind the front lens ... a nose hair. Quite big, very visible so impossible not to disclose in the course of the transaction. Hence the ridiculous price.

I am glad I bought it. I will keep the hair inside as a souvenir.

I will also post the pic under the 3D thread since I think it also deserves a place there.

[img][/url]Magnolia by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

Last edited by lumens pixel on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first 35mm lens, and probably one of the sharpest Canon lenses I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sharp!!!!

Nice 3 D.

Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
My very first 35mm lens, and probably one of the sharpest Canon lenses I've ever owned.

My story is similar.
Mine was the 1.8/50 breech mount.
I took all of my early images with it back in the early 70's
Congratulations
T

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice result!
I have the same lens, but have not used it on my digital camera yet.
I will have to give it a go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Storm and unreal light Reply with quote

Over the city of Meaux.

[url]Orage | Storm by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/url]

Last edited by lumens pixel on Sat May 01, 2021 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, very well captured!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FD 50mm f1.8 is one of Canon's best for contrast and sharpness.
I actually prefer it's slightly warm tones on C-41 film.
It came on an AE-1 that got me back into film.
I have given the camera and it's moderate lenses stable to my sister.
I am back into Nikon now and have bettered that old FD with an even older, warmer f1.4 Nikkor S.C.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments. I am not a Nikon guy but I am sure there are some fine lenses there.

Yes all these lowly 50ies are fantastic photographic tools. I remember in the old days my lack of interest for such primes looking after all these new 28 200 zooms. If I only knew.

I owned the nFD 50 1,4. Excellent lens for sure and probably half stop better wide open. But there is something in the crispness of the 50 1,8 at middle apertures that is hard to believe.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon new FD 1,8/50mm Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
I am pleased to use moderately priced lenses.

This one is the humblest. The nifty fifty. I am pleased to introduce the Canon FD hair nose. Yes, not FL chrome nose. I bought this lens from an ebay seller who sacrificed the price at 19 €. The lens had certainly been opened, for haze fungus or whatever else and the former owner did drop behind the front lens ... a nose hair. Quite big, very visible so impossible not to disclose in the course of the transaction. Hence the ridiculous price.

I am glad I bought it. I will keep the hair inside as a souvenir.

I will also post the pic under the 3D thread since I think it also deserves a place there.

[img][/url]Magnolia by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

Fd breech version?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Canon new FD 1,8/50mm Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Fd breech version?

No the nFD. I bet they are the same, but that is unclear to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon new FD 1,8/50mm Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
papasito wrote:

Fd breech version?

No the nFD. I bet they are the same, but that is unclear to me.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 1,8 strikes again.

Château de Mont l'Evêque | Ile de France by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

Un point rouge | A single red dot by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, good job!
Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had to clean this lens which was starting to become a little hazy between first and second element.

That is the control test.

@F1,8 - Amazing performance if you ask me. Where is the Zeiss 55 1,8 ? I paid 19 € for this lens.

[img]Promenade au parc 1 | Stroll at the park 1 by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

@F2,4

[img]Promenade au parc 3 | Stroll at the park 3 by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

@F2,4

[img]Promenade au parc 2 | Stroll at the park 2 by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

@F4,0

[img]De retour du parc | Coming back from the park by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

Good for service.

Last edited by lumens pixel on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel. un peu plus petites stp.

Sticky: Max image width 1024px please.
I have to scroll sideways to see them and I have a 27" monitor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Did not want to offend but relied on the following (sticky):

"Images wider than this must be posted in the Oversize Gallery or can be linked to externally using the url tags."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is " Best of lenses " gallery.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
This is " Best of lenses " gallery.

Agreed. Please have a look at the sticky on top of best of lenses section.

I guess you may want to modify it if you want to limit picture size to 1024. I have been confused by the "or" proposition to insert a link to external website hosted photos.

As well you could also move the thread (and I guess all my threads) to the oversize section since none of my pics is 1024 wide.

If this is cumbersome you may delete the thread as well and I will insert back the pics in a new thread in the other section.

Again sorry if I misunderstood something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

This is (perhaps the only) caveat of using mfblack Board style; browser does not automatically resize images too large to fit into browser window.

Flickr does give code for inserting smaller version of in-line images, however the code may only be available to paid Flickr members.

EDIT: Snooping Flickr page source code I see two smaller size images: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51864712185_744158d0d0_z.jpg and https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51864712185_744158d0d0_n.jpg

In line here those look like

lumens pixel wrote:

and

EDIT2: hacking the Flickr image link changing z or n to b gives https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51864712185_744158d0d0_b.jpg -- about the right size imho.

Inline
lumens pixel wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Himself wrote:

This is (perhaps the only) caveat of using mfblack Board style; browser does not automatically resize images too large to fit into browser window.

Flickr does give code for inserting smaller version of in-line images, however the code may only be available to paid Flickr members.

EDIT: Snooping Flickr page source code I see two smaller size images: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51864712185_744158d0d0_z.jpg and https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51864712185_744158d0d0_n.jpg

In line here those look like

lumens pixel wrote:

and

EDIT2: hacking the Flickr image link changing z or n to b gives https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51864712185_744158d0d0_b.jpg -- about the right size imho.

Inline
lumens pixel wrote:

I do not know how you found that but I did change the code to b and the photos are indeed smaller. Thanks for the trick.

Of course accentuation is not fit for this format but anyone could click on the picture and see how it looks on Flickr.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is caused when mflenses Board style mflblack is used (not by you). Attila can probably fix that sometime.

Meanwhile a workaround is for you to use, for example,

Code:
[url=https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49750185332_e9fe83f40c_o.jpg][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49750185332_e9fe83f40c_b.jpg[/img][/url]

which shows the b image size here for mflblack members, and links to Flickr original when image is tapped:

lumens pixel wrote: