Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon LTM 50 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Canon LTM 50 1.8 Reply with quote

I have just received this lens. Build quality is fantastic . Very heavy and smooth focusing. My sample has some cleaning scratches and some small dust inside. They do not seem to have any influence on the quality . I shall post some shots.
Has anybody some experience with it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of that lens, and I like it pretty much; not exactly comparable to a Summicron, but pretty close.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does not seem to be very sharp, my Topcor-S 50/2(which looks just like it), kicks it's butt.
But I also have the Canon 35/2.8 which also has the same solid build, it's sharp, and it works good on both my NEX-7 and my A7r.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens but sill no camera to use it Smile
But I agree with the build quality, it feels very well build. Very heavy for the small size.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not much time to test this lens. It seems to be useable from f2. It is not the case of my J8 which really soft at f2.
It has nice contrast and warm colours . Nice rendition in B&W.
The bokeh looks nice not so far from the J8 which is a Sonnar.
Some comparisons at f2.8 with the J8 and with a Rokkor MD 50 f2 .
The J8 is softer with less contrast

Canon

J8

Canon

Canon cropped

J8 cropped

Rookor cropped

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks very good mememth
I like the colors rendered by the Canon best. Did you do some WB adjustment, or are all out of cam?

I have this version and also the later 'black' version, optically they are identical, I think
The later version is not as heavy, but many copies suffer from a milky glass. Mine too, though just a little bit ( I had other copies that have more milky glass ) it might be just enough for my silver version, the same as your's, might slightly outperform the other

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these old Canon lenses, nice build and good IQ IMO Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
looks very good mememth
I like the colors rendered by the Canon best. Did you do some WB adjustment, or are all out of cam?

I have this version and also the later 'black' version, optically they are identical, I think
The later version is not as heavy, but many copies suffer from a milky glass. Mine too, though just a little bit ( I had other copies that have more milky glass ) it might be just enough for my silver version, the same as your's, might slightly outperform the other

The outdoor shot is daylight setting of the camera. Indoor WB is quickly adjusted in LR5 in order to give a similar result.
No sharpening. The J8 is from year 57 and the Canon about the same. The contrast of the Canon is really better.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build quality is top notch, like a Swiss watch.
The Canon 50/1.5 has a good reputation if you can find one without haze.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Canon LTM a while back that I used on an old Bessa but I forgot which one it was. I believe it was a 50/2 but don't quote me. It ran me a few hundred bucks. If I'm not mistaken, this one is harder to find and will run quite a bit more, but from what I've read the quality difference is notable. FWIW, I found it difficult to focus due to the size.