Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Canon lens mount converter"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: "Canon lens mount converter" Reply with quote

Sorry, long. I got carried away enthusiastically writing about my latest adapter "adventure".

I was aware that during the FD mount era Canon sold a number of adapters ("converters") from something else to FD mount. I suppose Canon could do that because the flange distance for FD mount is a bit shorter than several other mounts.

Recently I picked up a Canon lens mount converter "E" (Exakta to FD) and subsequently a "P" (M42 to FD) and I must say I am really impressed with the quality of these. I use these together with my Novoflex FD to M43 adapter; yes these are somewhat expensive but I am really happy with the quality of these Novoflex adapters. They are as good as the real thing in my opinion.

Anyway, both the Canon lens mount converter E and P on my Novoflex FD to M43 adapter have infinity focus right where I like it to be, namely fractionally short of the hard stop. Same goes for the Novoflex FD to m43 using an FD lens by the way.

I must add that I find a consistent difference in M42 lenses between Schneider Kreuznach on the one hand and everything else I have tested on the other hand, with the Schneider lenses being a bit too long so they don't quite focus to infinity. Not on my Novoflex M42 to M43 adapter (which could be an adapter problem), but also not with Canon converter P (the FD to M43 adapter the converter P is attached to focuses perfectly with FD lenses, so no problem there). Carl Zeiss Jena and Meyer lenses are perfect. Perhaps an East Germany - West Germany thing? I bought a Chinese adapter specifically for the Schneiders with the understanding that the Chinese adapter would be significantly short.

Since Novoflex don't and won't make an Exakta adapter (I asked), finding a really good Exakta adapter has been a bit of a quest. I settled on K&F but these are quite a bit too short. I guess that is to ensure infinity focus but the result is that infinity focus ends up being about 2/3 of the way to the hard stop. I had to add add a shim to the K&F adapter to get it closer. This Canon E adapter with my Novoflex FD to M43 adapter: perfection. The only thing about this E adapter is that removing it from the FD mount is a bit tricky (watch out for broken fingernails). The P adapter uses the standard FD rotating collar design.

The P adapters for M42 are quite common, the E's are somewhat uncommon in Europe (where I live) so i was lucky to be able to pick one up.

Bottom line: if you find yourself needing to adapt either M42 or Exakta to Canon FD, then I recommend you look at these.

Canon also made an A (M39 lens to FD body, macro only), B (FD lens on M39 body) and an N (Nikon lens on FD body). The A and B are quite common. The N is rare, and apparently also is called either "MC-N" or "BH MT. CONVERTER N". If Canon made any besides these five then I am not aware of it.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Canon lens mount converter" Reply with quote

If you look outside still image cameras there is a sixth even rarer adapter designated “B-C” which is for using bajonett mount (R, FL, FD) lenses on C mount cine cameras.

connloyalist wrote:
"BH MT. CONVERTER N"

“BH” is sometimes found on gear distributed by “Bell & Howell”. This image is from a 1970 B&H price list:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this might not satisfy everyone, but it's worth mentioning-

Put whatever can be adapted onto EOS here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001488598693.html
You can get these thinner at astronomy stores.

[insert your choice of M42 extension tubes here]

Then, for MFT, a 'slim' M42 adapter:

You should now be able to tweak, twiddle and tune infinity focus. Whilst you'll still have to play about with the right extension tube, there are so many out there (particularly older ones with different thickness) that I don't see why not.

As M42 mount is very popular for astrophotography, you really can get some very slim M42 extension rings, and spacers to boot:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-t-m42-adjustment-spacer-ring-set.html

I know people have mirrorless helicoids but quality is variable, this would be a 'fixed' solution.