Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FL 35mm f2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Canon FL 35mm f2.5 Reply with quote

I have had this lens for some time but have been unable to mount it on my adapter for X-E1. The projecting rear of the lens around the rear element has always bumped into the aperture locking pin. I found a work around today and took a couple of quick snaps. Interesting bokeh.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find it a very capable lens, far better than you would expect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

i have several other FL's and they are very good indeed, so I am expecting this one to be in the same class, but I take your point - it may have been an under-rated lens in the past.
Interestingly, it has one of the shortest focus throws that I have seen - only about 90 degrees of rotation from 0.4m to infinity.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

+1

Sharp even wide open, has swirly bokeh too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian - yes it is quite good.
Today is quite dull, cold and uninspiring outside - so only a couple of images from this lens.
Here we go
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FL 35mm f/2.5 is probably still my favorite 35mm lens (bought my first copy way back in 1984). I find it to be sharp corner to corner, with excellent depth of field, and with great color and contrast. Here's a dupe of a Kodachrome 64 slide I shot with an FL 35/2.5 back in 1984 or so. Taken on a foggy, cold winter morning along the Kern River bottom in Bakersfield, California. The camera was a Canon FTb.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Michael.
Good old FTb - my first and favourite SLR
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the FTb is one of my favorites as well. I often say that the FTb was the camera that taught me photography.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Yep, the FTb is one of my favorites as well. I often say that the FTb was the camera that taught me photography.

I could not agree more.
I was delighted with the selective metering system and the absolute reliability of this camera.
I went on to own an EF which I also rate very highly, but when I had the opportunity to purchase another camera body, I chose the FTb again.
I was gifted a box of 35mm film today and so I will give the FTb and the FL 2.5/35 combination a workout soon.
Happy days
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an FTb QL a while back as pat of the deal to get a lens, everything was great till I tried cleaning the eye piece, it pushed in!!! And I'm like WTF???? Never seen that happen before.
Yeah, love the FL series I still need to get a few more, 24, 58, & 85.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Canon FTb with FL 2.5/35
Posted here just for the joy of it.
Smile
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC nearly all FL lenses work on nearly all or all Canon cameras up to T90.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to, but not including the T90?

I have only a few FL lenses -- the 35mm f/2.5, a 55mm f/1.2, and then the bazooka -- the 85-300mm f/5. Honestly, I don't recall trying any on my T90. Guess I should.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

The ones with bulbous rears(35/2.5 & 58/1.2) would be the ones I'd use caution with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots as usual Thomas Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

The ones with bulbous rears(35/2.5 & 58/1.2) would be the ones I'd use caution with.

The 19mm f/3.5 too, a lens I used to own, which worked just fine on my F-1 and FTb (A-1 too I think). Here's a photo I snagged off the net:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Up to, but not including the T90?

I have only a few FL lenses -- the 35mm f/2.5, a 55mm f/1.2, and then the bazooka -- the 85-300mm f/5. Honestly, I don't recall trying any on my T90. Guess I should.

The 19mm R version works on the T70 and T90 although I've only used it on the T70 so far. The manual is confusing as they say the 19mm wont fit (well ok it could be the 1st version) yet they go on to say the metering will not work properly on the T90..well I assume they mean the 2nd R version is ok but use a seperate meter, but more confusion is the T90 will meter properly but dunno about auto use.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to consult my T90's manual, but I'm pretty sure it has stopped-down AE, same as the A-1. When you push in the stop-down lever, it kicks in the stopped-down AE mode, which is basically aperture-priority AE at the actual taking aperture.

So, given that stopping an FL lens down on an FD body is the proper way to insure an accurate meter reading, I would think that this works the same on the T90 with FL lenses.