Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FL 1,2/55
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Canon FL 1,2/55 Reply with quote

First encounter with that lens. Wide open.

Irradiante | Glowing by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a sleeper of a lens. I'm pretty sure it's the same optical formula as the early FD 55mm f/1.2. Of course, there are coatings differences. I own both, and I can detect no difference in photos of the same image taken with both lenses.

One thing I like about the FL version versus the FD version is the FL version's girth is noticeably less.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
It's a bit of a sleeper of a lens. I'm pretty sure it's the same optical formula as the early FD 55mm f/1.2. Of course, there are coatings differences. I own both, and I can detect no difference in photos of the same image taken with both lenses.

One thing I like about the FL version versus the FD version is the FL version's girth is noticeably less.

I do not have the FD version but from the info on MIR website what you say is correct. I will need some time to learn this lens. What I have noticed so far is that best performance is reached beyond 80 cm. Wide open at infinity field flatness is impressive. At minimum focus distance you need to close a little bit for good clarity. I already think it is an impressive lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the biggest challenge when shooting it wide open was making sure I didn't move. The slightest movement on my part could throw the image out of focus.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. I'm on the verge of buying a 35 2,5 or 3,5 fl and experiment furthermore.