Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FDn 200mm f4 Oh My!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one more image from this outing.
Again some HDR from LR and NIK

If there was any doubt about the resolving power of this lens, have a look at this very small crop from the previous image.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens for awhile, and I liked most things about it. Sharpness, rendering, size, close focusing ability. What made me sell it was that I found it hard to focus correct due to short focus throw. The most compatible lens to the Fdn is fuji's 200/4.5. If possible even sharper. I ended up with a Tessar 200/4 wich I like alot.
Kjell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but thanks to those who've posted images and who've discussed the difference between this and both earlier versions and the f2.8 version. Have probably cost me money, but an educated buyer, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belcanto wrote:
I ended up with a Tessar 200/4 wich I like alot.
Kjell

Intriguing little lens ... how is it, CA wise, compared to the nFD 4/200mm? The Zeiss CY 4/200mm shares the same basic design with most 4/200mm lenses of its time (not with nFD 4/200, though) - but so does the CY Zeiss 4/80-200mm, which is quite a bit sharper than its siblings from Minolta, Leica, Pentax etc.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
In a comparison test:- My Canon FDn 200mm f4 either is a slightly inferior copy or my Kiron 80-200 f4 is a very good copy...as I can't see any difference in results e.g. A4 prints, so as the Kiron is more useful my Canon is not used.
So it would be interesting if more members added their views on the FDn 200mm f4

Sounds familiar ....i did a big test of 70ish to 200mm ish zoom lenses ..some known to be very good to sum not and i had very interesting results ..on a 16MP NEX at 70 mm the lenses differed as expected, but at 200mm they all look the same !! i could not work it out ...surely it cannot be camera shake it was a bright summers day my shutter speed was 1000th+ but was handheld and as no EVF on the NEX the camera is not stuck to my head ..well i reshoot the 200mm test photos on a tripod thinking i am wasting my time but the results were night and day ..the poorer lenses looked just the same as the 1st test but the better lenses were way better

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davev8app wrote:

Sounds familiar ....i did a big test of 70ish to 200mm ish zoom lenses ... at 200mm they all look the same !! i could not work it out ...surely it cannot be camera shake it was a bright summers day my shutter speed was 1000th+ but was handheld and as no EVF on the NEX the camera is not stuck to my head ...

There are lots of such crap tests around ...

davev8app wrote:

well i reshoot the 200mm test photos on a tripod thinking i am wasting my time but the results were night and day ..the poorer lenses looked just the same as the 1st test but the better lenses were way better

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crap test is one that looks at the corners wide open at infinity.