Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD EOS converted 85mm SSC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Canon FD EOS converted 85mm SSC Reply with quote

Stan aka Trifox recently converted the mount on my FD 85mm 1.8 SSC. Quite apart from the challenges which the lens presented, he kept raving on about the colours which the lens produced. Since I got it back it's been on my 5DII all the time.
See what you think

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look a bad lens, but there are probably better in that focal length that don't require conversions.

It's a shame it's one less for us FD mount users to use. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
It doesn't look a bad lens, but there are probably better in that focal length that don't require conversions.

Oh tell me about it. I can't now use the lens on any of my Canon 35mm bodies - cough cough - unless I can find a reverse adapter to take it back to FD mount from EOS.

"It doesn't look a bad lens, "

No, not exactly. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey given up shooting with film already Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

How dare you! You cad, sir! Very Happy

Why, I'm simply "resting" one part of my brain and using a different part.

Film schmilm, digital schigital - it's all images to me. In fact, I care nothing for your petty distinctions: medium format, miniature 35mm format, 1.3 crop, full frame, they're all the stuff of life to me. I cock my snook at your triflings Laughing Laughing Pah! Where's me mobile phone camera????

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Film schmilm, digital schigital - it's all images to me. In fact, I care nothing for your petty distinctions: medium format, miniature 35mm format, 1.3 crop, full frame, they're all the stuff of life to me. I cock my snook at your triflings Laughing Laughing Pah! Where's me mobile phone camera????

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
tikkathree wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Laughing

And besides - yeah! Twisted Evil - I have still unpacked a film scanner which will take MF negatives. I had a 35mm scanner but to be honest I was happier keeping the camera shop sweet by paying them a paltry amount to scan my 35mm negs to CD and then uploading them electronically, far, far happier than scanning my own negs. So I sold that scanner. Trouble was, they'd made such tut! tut! noises about the time taken to scan 120 format negs that I just new they didn't want to take on that job. So my mf films come back developed with small prints.

Then in my local freecycle group came up this posting for a scanner which takes 120 negs, and it was free and I won it.

How's that for the best of both worlds? Laughing Idea Cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:

And besides - yeah! Twisted Evil - I have still unpacked a film scanner which will take MF negatives. I had a 35mm scanner but to be honest I was happier keeping the camera shop sweet by paying them a paltry amount to scan my 35mm negs to CD and then uploading them electronically, far, far happier than scanning my own negs. So I sold that scanner. Trouble was, they'd made such tut! tut! noises about the time taken to scan 120 format negs that I just new they didn't want to take on that job. So my mf films come back developed with small prints.

Then in my local freecycle group came up this posting for a scanner which takes 120 negs, and it was free and I won it.

How's that for the best of both worlds? Laughing Idea Cool

some are even using an enlarger in a darkroom and producing B/W prints with smelly chemicals Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

some are even using an enlarger in a darkroom and producing B/W prints with smelly chemicals Wink

That's just weird!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Contact details for Trifox?
I want to see if a PB mount can be converted to M42.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Oh tell me about it. I can't now use the lens on any of my Canon 35mm bodies - cough cough - unless I can find a reverse adapter to take it back to FD mount from EOS.

"It doesn't look a bad lens, "

No, not exactly. Laughing Laughing

That's my impression of it not bad. How do you rate it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hits the mirror at infinity?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
it doesn't

Thank you very much. I am ready to convert a new fd 85 1.8.
I can not buy a 85/1.2 SSC unfortunately. I'm not convinced of the quality of 1.8. But we must experience.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality delivered by 85 f1.8 is truly remarkable ...
It's different from 85 f1.2 but great and very uniuqe colour rendition..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trifox"
It's different from 85 f1.2 but great and very uniuqe colour rendition..[/quote]

This is the very first point that catched my attention:#1, #2, #4 & #5 pics. The #6 shows some "japanese old style" bokeh, which comes as a bonus,
Good lens, indeed,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikkor 105 2.5 (sonnar design) which is very close to two 135 Excellent, the EF 2.0 and FD 2.5. So I want 85, not sure if I will like a different bokeh of these lenses. But I guess it converted to EOS / EF if I do not like it I can sell very easy. If anyone can upload pictures with the FD 85 1.8 help me.
Thank you very much

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found them! Smile

Full link:

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-85-f1-8-with-ef-mount-t36943,highlight,+canon++fd++85++f1++8.html

3 - INFINITY

4 - MINIMAL FOCUSING DISTANCE

ALL TAKEN AT f1.8 because the aperture wasn't done at that stage...
CLICK ON THIS PICTURE.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Stan
You are very kind and generous.
Best regards.
Sergio