Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 85-300/4.5 SSC. Loosing focus when zooming.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Canon FD 85-300/4.5 SSC. Loosing focus when zooming. Reply with quote

I just bought a Canon FD 85-300/4.5 SSC with a problem.
At 300 mm infinity focus is OK. Zooming out to 85 mm gives 'infinity' focus at about 20 meters.
The zoom and focus rings feels dry, but tight, so I don't think there is anything broken. Someone suggested the problem could be fixed by changing the lens-to-flange distance (Canon FD 35-105/3.5). I took off the rear mount, but couldn't see any obvious way of doing this on this BL mount. And I think this would mean the lens has to get closer to the camera?
Any good advice on where to start?
Some possible adjustment points: Around the front lens group there are four screws, and the rear lens group can be unscrewed from the rear...
I have some experience repairing Canon FL/FD lenses, but not with this problem.

-Egil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some zooms do change focus when zoomed (technically a varifocal lens). If you focus on infinity at 300mm then come back to 85mm can you re-focus to infinity? A zoom that keeps its focus is called a parfocal lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Egil!

I think you are correct, that lens needs focus adjustment. If nobody here can help with sequence of steps, perhaps a guide for another similar zoom will help. Some guides I have seen involve disassembling the lens helicals, then re-assembling & adjusting the inside helicals, then adding & adjusting the outside helicals at either end of range of travel. Basically, this procedure sets the ratio of travel between the helicals so parfocal is obtained. The helical screws are probably for adjusting the outside helical only.

Here's hoping somebody has the info you need!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for Trifox to chime in. He's the expert in those FD thingies.
Or email him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Parfocal. Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I think you are correct, that lens needs focus adjustment. If nobody here can help with sequence of steps, perhaps a guide for another similar zoom will help. Some guides I have seen involve disassembling the lens helicals, then re-assembling & adjusting the inside helicals, then adding & adjusting the outside helicals at either end of range of travel. Basically, this procedure sets the ratio of travel between the helicals so parfocal is obtained. The helical screws are probably for adjusting the outside helical only.

Yes, this is possibly close to what is needed, and what I hope is not necessary...
For an adjustment of a Canon FD 35-105/3.5 (new FD) someone suggested to adjust the lens-to-flange distance. nFD zooms has outside screws right in front of the mount that makes the adjustment a simple task. Adjustments can be done with the lens mounted on a camera body. It doesn't seem to be this easy on FD BL.

The lens is parfocal. I've got almost all Canon FL/FD/nFD lenses, and none of the zooms are varifocal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid that the lens is 'OK'

Well, I can't see the reason why the short end shouldn't go to infinity

I have had FD 50-300 L - I couldn't get the infinity at the 50mm end

Crazy but true..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
I am afraid that the lens is 'OK'
Well, I can't see the reason why the short end shouldn't go to infinity.

Do you know this lens, or the FD BL zoom lenses well, and are you telling me that there is no way of correcting this?
I also have the FL and nFD versions. They both focus correctly over the whole zoom range.
I will keep looking for a solution, unless you say for sure there is no fix to this problem.

I've got a Canon nFD 35-105/3.5 which was adjusted for this problem by a local camera repairman, but he's retired...

Update June 20.:
I have mounted the lens on a Canon Bellows M, with an improvised focus glass in the end. It turns out that a lens-to-flange distance of 41.5 mm eliminates the problem. The lens gets parfocal. Same focus from 85 to 300 mm. Now, if I can just shorten the mount by 0.5 mm...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Old thread, but new information Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but so are all of these lens Wink

erog_011263, did you get the focus on this lens to work?
I have the FL 85-300 F5 that looks like new! Seems the reason it is 'new' is non use due to not having infinity.

After reading this post I fixed mine.

loosen (remove) set screw on the focus barrel now it will not stop at minimum focus, keep turning a little bit.
as soon as the infinity focus stop is visible loosen the two screws, move to more focus, tighten the lock.
turn the focus back to some long distance and replace the set screw.

This was enough to give Infinity and a bit beyond and new life to this lovely albeit heavy lens.