Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 85 1.8 SSC or FDn ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
For sure the SSC version of the 1.2/85 is better
(optically different) than the non-SSC. But we're talking of a completely different lens.

Correction of typo: I meant the 1.2/55 lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankotirador, if FDn costs half of SSC, then get FDn without thinking twice. The only possible explanation for such a price difference is that people are stupid. Some people don't realize that FDn has SSC coating (and the later and better version of it). Some people think that the more metal the thing has, the better. Personally, I prefer to use FDn lenses, because they are lighter. I certainly wouldn't pay a cent more for SSC than I would for FDn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This is a photo that I took in 2010 at the mediaeval Palio of San Secondo with the EF version of the lens.
It was chosen by the organization for the official poster of the following year's edition.
It displays the features of the lens (brilliant rendering, very good bokeh)

+1
I have this lens I bought second hand. Very good price/quality ratio ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Frankotirador, if FDn costs half of SSC, then get FDn without thinking twice. The only possible explanation for such a price difference is that people are stupid. Some people don't realize that FDn has SSC coating (and the later and better version of it). Some people think that the more metal the thing has, the better. Personally, I prefer to use FDn lenses, because they are lighter. I certainly wouldn't pay a cent more for SSC than I would for FDn.

You're right, and I can not pay 300 or 500 U $ S for FD 85 1.8.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the older metal mount lenses with the red SSC letters do fetch more than the newFD versions, no idea why, all it can be is people think the red lettering denotes something special.

Canon's marketing tricks still working after decades. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread revival. I am very impressed with the Canon FD 85mm/1.8 SSC. I would prefer an FDn but this is what came up at a reasonable price. I used to be more of a medium wide angle photog. This is becoming my most-carried lens, especially after a new granddaughter came into the world. Great focal length for the right distance and indoor lighting. Also ideal for near-stage concert photography in available light.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2604. Canon FD 85mm/1.8 SSC on Sony A7.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD 85mm/1.8 SSC on Sony A7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine pictures and bokeh ! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on FD , but I'm looking to get a good for it, what size should I look for? 55mm thread but don't know the length, maybe one that would fit the 50mm 1.4 s.s.c. also?
BT-55 is the original one for 85mm 1.8 FD and BS-55 is for the 50mm 1.4, can anyone confirm what is the size difference between these two? Would the bs-55 fit the 85mm (even if it would be shorter,as I'm not planning to get both of them?)