Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 Chrome Nose
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 Chrome Nose Reply with quote

Okay, thanks to Trifox (Stan), I have had the opportunity to try out this Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 (chrome nose) for the past several days. My schedule and the weather have prevented me from doing much of anything with it until today. Even so, the only digital camera I have to test it with is an EOS, so using my FD to EOS adapter -- with the corrective element removed -- the only thing I can do with it is close-up stuff. Nonetheless, I figured I could give the lens a fair evaluation, so I went for it.

But just to make things interesting, I decided to do a comparison. Since this is the early FD version of the 55mm f/1.2 -- pre-SSC and all that -- I was wondering just how different it was from its immediate predecessor, the FL 55mm f/1.2. I happen to have a copy of the FL 55mm f/1.2, so that's what I did, an A<->B comparison between the two. Is there a significant difference? Well, I'll let you be the judge.

Yesterday I looked for a subject around the house and noticed that one of our azalea bushes is already in full bloom. It was getting late in the day, but I did manage to take two photos hand held with the lens at f/1.2. There was a slight breeze blowing, so even if I would have set up a tripod, the shutter speeds would have been way too slow to avoid montion-induced blur.

The FD 55mm f/1.2

The FL 55mm f/1.2

Today it was sunny, so motion-induced blur wasn't as big of a problem. This is the flower I took pics of today.

The comparisons:

All images were taken at ISO 100. I used Live View for focusing accuracy, plus the camera was mounted onto a sturdy tripod. No post processing was done other than reducing the images to be shown here. There was still a slight breeze blowing when I was taking the photos. Enough to rearrange things slightly, and unfortunately enough to cause some blur at f/8 for the FL lens and at f/16 for the FD lens. I didn't notice the blur until I had put everything away and called the images up on my computer. Oh well. This will have to do.

My verdict: I suspect that the optical formulas for the both the FL and FD 55mm f/1.2 lenses are the same. I can detect essentially no difference between the two lenses from a performance standpoint. Both lenses have apertures from 1.2 to 16, both have the same minimum focusing distance of a bit under 2 feet or 0.6 meters, both have a 58mm front filter size. About the only difference I can tell between them is the coatings. The FD's reflections are a bit deeper in color than the FL's. Of course, the other big difference is the FD is designed for full-aperture metering whereas the FL has to be stopped down to meter. But then that's really only of concern if you'll be using the lenses on Canon FD film cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all

Thanks to Michael for taking care about the FD 55 f1.2 Wink

and hmm = hard to say!

there almost identical --

thanks again

tf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chrome nose FD 1.2/55mm was probably meant to be used on the F-1 camera. The combination shown here is huge, and it is heavy: quite exactly 2.5 kg (!!) including the batteries. The motor drive MF (shown here) certainly looks and feels less awkward than the earlier MD drive for the old F-1. The grip is ridiculously large, and since it is quite far away from the center of gravity of the entire combination, it feels less "natural" than the Nikon F2 with MB-2 motor drive. However, when you mount a 2.8/300mm Fluorite lens, the whole combination feels nearly perfect: The heavy camera / motor drive and the relatively lightweight FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite make a great combination indeed!

S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a beauty.

Without a doubt. Speechless. Just design beauty.

Thanks for sharing it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
It is a beauty.

Without a doubt. Speechless. Just design beauty.

I certainly is. And it's fun how these things come together - actually I'm never searching for something, but I rather prefer to buy what's around nearby.

The FD 1.2/55mm was first, as far as I remember. I found it in a small village outside of Zurich, where a few young guys had taken over a traditional old fashioned photo store and transformed it into a webshop & traditional store. They always have large amounts of used gear (usually cheap stuff), but whenever I'm there I have a look. CHF 150.--

The F-1 was next. I had found a small online ad for a cheap Minolta 1.2/58mm (CHF 150.-- as well), but finally I didn't get it. I was a bit disappointet, and startet to browse the onlide as again: Someone had, just a few minutes ago, put a old F-1 for sale, and this time I was lucky! CHF 150.--, again.

And finally the motor drive, two days ago: It came from my favourite local photo store - it's owner knows quite well what i like, and he had put the drive aside, for me Wink.

The old F-1, by the way, came from its first and only owner. He had bought the camera - for a hell of a lot of money - when he was young, and used it during his entire life. Now, shortly before retirement, he was starting to sort out redundant stuff, and sold it to me.

It's always moving to see and hear the stories behind these little treasures. Some of my lenses come from rich Vietnamese collectors who had to flee back in the 1970s, others from world-famous athletes, and others from relatives which have deceased many moons ago.

S