Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 15mm f2.8 Fisheye SSC heavy problem..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Canon FD 15mm f2.8 Fisheye SSC heavy problem.. Reply with quote

Hi, i'm new at the forum, and i would like some advice. Well, here's the thing:
I bought this lovely lens for about 110 bucks and well, it had some small marks on the front element (not something to worry about) but a lot of fungus on the inside. So, i started to clean it and i reached a point where i couldnt do more. So i sent it to "professional" cleaning, and they cleaned it quite nice excepting for a good mark which they told me it was a crack. Well, i was pretty sure it wasnt a crack so when i got it back i decided to check it for myself. So i insisted with isopropilic alcohol and q-tips and voila! it was cleaned!
When i was taking the excess of alcohol, i noticed i did some scratches to the element (which i think its the smallest one). What did i do? well, i checked the Carl Zeiss page, and there said i could use cigar ash to polish it. I was polishing it with ash and cotton (as the page said) and then i noticed the coating started to wore off. What could i do? well, sadly i had to take all the coating from the element (which is the middle element, not much to worry about) but still now im trying to get all the coating off and still has the horrible scratches! Now, any of you know where i can get a replacement or some kind of magical fix?
I'll gladly appreciate it. I can pay with money or with elements from other lenses, like Sakar 35-200, SMC Takumar 200mm f4, and Pentax-A 100mm f4 macro, and Helios 44-2.

Thank you all in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I think we all learn from your story don't need to rush and try to clean everything. People pretty crazy about lens fixing and problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome! I think we all learn from your story don't need to rush and try to clean everything. People pretty crazy about lens fixing and problems.

Hi, thanks for your reply. It's not the first time i do this, i've done it successfully with a canon fl 58mm 1.2, nikon 105mm 1.8, tamron tcs, etc, etc, and this was the first time i did a scratch... thats why im lost at this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post photos of the scratches?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course:

The black things on the back its just cigarrete ash that entered the space between elements. They are not cemented so its easy to take the ash out, but my worry is on the lens. As you can see, its not a huge crack, just the two "gentle" scratches. There're a couple more but those are from unnoticeable to invisible.[img][/img]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the focus was a little on the back, just on the ash, thats why the scratches doesnt seem too defined. Sorry, my bad. BTW, that's the lens with the coating removed, the purplish tone its from the back of the same glass. A little reflection does affect the image quality (but as i've read, i coating less is about 4% less light and reflection... or something). Taken with a Sigma SD14 and 24mm AF (non working) 2.8 II macro.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in peace with scratch , doesn't harm anything I also made on a lens I was angry about myself, time did cure it. Hopefully you able to rebuild again and enjoy it and let us know this rare lens power.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Check out this beauty.... Reply with quote

Taken with the nintendo dsi's camera. More than enough! As you can see, the center is a little bit on the left, but who cares as it can take great photos?
Any of you knows the maximum protruding of a lens before sigma's IR filter breaks? I can only reach infinite focus on f5.6 plus. But i think im too near the filter, if not touching it.