Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS M3 in the USA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Canon EOS M3 in the USA Reply with quote

The Canon M series is back in the USA. Smile http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/eos-m-series-digital-cameras

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email from Robert's Camera about the M3. First I've heard of it. So I went to Amazon and found three reviews, all very favorable. A common comment to all three reviews was the degree of control the photographer has with the M3. AF, resolution, lens options, all these and more are discussed, and the owners appear quite happy with them and the camera's operation in general.

So has Canon finally decided to get off the sidelines and join the fray? It appears so. Very competitively priced compared to the Sony NEX 7 and a6000. I'm curious as to how it will fare in an in depth comparison to the Sony equivalents.

I wonder if Leitz is gonna give Canon any grief over the moniker "M3". Can alphanumerics be copyrighted/trademarked?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I wonder if Leitz is gonna give Canon any grief over the moniker "M3". Can alphanumerics be copyrighted/trademarked?

Everything can be copyrighted/trademarked. I remember a couple of years ago when Ferrari wanted to name their F1 car "F150" or something like that but then some American car company complained because there's an obscure car in their fleet with the same name and eventually Ferrari had to change theirs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. That would be Ford, whose animus with Ferrari goes back a ways, and that "obscure" vehicle is their most popular pickup truck model, which incidentally is the highest selling truck in the world, with some 34,000,000 units having been built since 1948. In fact, by Wikipedia's count, the Ford F-150 is the highest selling vehicle in the world, with the possible exception of the Honda 50 motorcycle.

Now, I'm guessing you probably already knew that, and this was some tongue in cheek humor on your part. But just in case you weren't aware . . .

Anyway, thanks for the response. And I guess it does make some sense. I note that Canon has recycled the term "A-1" and "EF", which likely means they own some sort of proprietary rights to those two combinations, at least as far as photo gear goes. Still makes me wonder about Leitz's silence, especially since they're continuing to add to their M-series line.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Now, I'm guessing you probably already knew that, and this was some tongue in cheek humor on your part. But just in case you weren't aware . . .

Actually I hadn't heard about it before that story and I've never seen one on the road. Not many pickup trucks where I live.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Actually I hadn't heard about it before that story and I've never seen one on the road. Not many pickup trucks where I live.

I have never seen a Leitz except online pictures. Smile

Not many cameras on display at the Best Buy store now days. It is the golden age of photography and the kids love the Apple cameras Smile

After much study I bought a Canon M cheap on eBay because I wanted a good body to mount on my Starblitz 24mm 2.8 lens.

Starblitz likes it's new body a lot. Smile