Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS and manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olivier and Peter for the advice.
How about the Konica Hexanon AR 135mm f3.5? I've read reviews with this lens compared to some of the lenses you have mentioned such as the Pentacon 135mm.
Also, I've read that a AF chip confirm has sizzled someones 5D once, but I believe that was on a AF m42 lens? I'm not sure.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use Konica lenses on a Canon unless you only want to use it for macro shots - see my reply to Saramob on page 4 of this thread.

There aren't any autofocus M42 lenses as far as I know. An AF chip tricks the camera into thinking an AF lens is mounted but you still have to focus manually. The chip makes the camera beep when you hit correct focus.

I still think you would be better starting with a plain M42>EOS adapter with a plain screw thread. This will work with all M42 preset lenses and automatic lenses with an Auto/Manual switch (only a few don't have this). A different type of adapter has a flange at the bottom of the thread to press in the auto aperture pin, which is needed if there is no A/M switch, but this puts the lens into stop-down mode so you have to focus before you adjust the aperture for every shot. Without the flange the pin is not depressed and you can use the A/M switch to open up the aperture for focussing and close it down again without needing to adjust the setting.

The flange can also cause problems with mounting certain lenses, either because the hole is too small, the pin is not depressed fully or the lens cannot be screwed into it sufficiently.

This is the plain kind, i.e. without the flange, which I would recommend:
Click here to see on Ebay

By all means try an AF-chip adapter if you feel it would be better for you, but they usually don't work at apertures smaller than f/8 and most of them have the flange I mentioned above. I only use mine with Tamron zooms, which don't have the A/M switch.

I can't say I've ever heard of an AF chip frying a 5D. A few M42 lenses project inside the camera too far at infinity focus and obstruct the mirror, which causes an error code and the camera locks up. But switching off and on again cures this. However, this isn't a problem with your 450D as its mirror is smaller.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benone wrote:
Also, I've read that a AF chip confirm has sizzled someones 5D once, but I believe that was on a AF m42 lens? I'm not sure.
Thanks!

There's no AF M42 lens as far as I know too.
Maybe you're talking about what happened to Haley here
http://forum.mflenses.com/af-confirm-chip-fell-off-in-my-5d-broke-the-shutter-system-t23531,highlight,chip.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this, price looks great, but the delivery is a little steep.
Is the lens mount a M42 though? The seller hasn't said which mount it is, can you tell from the pictures at all?
I've contacted the seller, but if they don't respond before the end of the auction I could miss out on a great deal.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a truly great choice to start you off. It is definitely M42 mount, no question. It has the original lens cap, correct hood and the case probably means it has very little wear. And the buyer has 100% feedback. Go for it! I don't expect the price to stay that cheap, but don't bid much more than $50 because, for sure, another one will come along for that price soon.

This lens is the S-M-C type Takumar, which means it has the extra linkage for open aperture metering on the Pentax Spotmatic F and ESII cameras (as well as the improved lens coating). The linkage doesn't affect how the lens works on a Canon, but you will probably have problems trying to use it with the flange type adapter I mentioned earlier. You should definitely use this lens with the plain adapter I recommended.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benone, if you begin a Takumar collection, there's a beautiful old Takumar 3.5/200 sold by a very fine guy here :

Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, ended up with a Pentacon 1.8/50mm and a Super Takumar 3.5/135mm got a Praktica MTL5B with the Pentacon also, all seem good so far, looking forward to the adapter to come through now!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Welcome everybody

I'm new in this forum and it really impressed me with all this manual world.

I'm owner of canon 50d dslr and after checkin many different threads on this forum I decided to buy a m42 adapter.
From that stage some stairs showed up.
I would try to buy some 200-300mm lens. There are sonnars but I'm not sure what to do with adapter. Is it better to take one with AF or cheapest one made from aluminium or maybe brass ?
To be honest after few post I'm in love with Sonnar 200. In future I'm planning to buy ff camera but for now crop must be enough. Also with crop i have better "zoom".

I would like to ask for some help and advice in this matter.

I found that my current Canon 28-135 lens is not enough to take shoots of birds or distant objects.

Could I also ask for some advice with wide lens ? something around 12-20 with good f on it.

Kind regards

Ps. sorry for brain washing english but it's not my native language.

And most important ! I'm new in photography too.
You can check my poor skill Wink on http://www.flickr.com/photos/deliasz
but i think that i can improve really fast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Marcin and welcome here.

(You'd better go away very fast from here because you are on a very dangerous slope. You are among MF addivted guys and you'll become like them) Twisted Evil

Still with us ? Very Happy

Okay, you have a 50D which is a very good body and has a good viewfinder. It also has Liveview which is very fine for adjusting focus precisely (on quiet and steady subjects).
If you have the standard viewfinder glass, you'd better take an AF chipped adapter ring. Else, if you change the standard glass by an EF-S one, you'll see clearer and you don't need an AF chipped adapter.
But you are a beginner in photography... so maybe you should begin with the AF chipped adapter which will help you to get close to focus and train your eye for future.

About wide lenses, you won't find under 20mm lenses as they are for full frame 24x36. A 12mm MF lens would be a 8mm on APS-C like the 50D.
You have a Pelang 8mm or a Zenitar 16mm, but they are Fisheye lenses.
So Wide lenses would begin at 20mm, then 24mm, 28mm, 29mm, 35mm.

The permament question to answer you correctly is : for what kind of use ? Landscapes, architecture, indoor shots ? Then what is your budget ?
Nevertheless, I would list those lenses :
Carl Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f4 and f2.8
Pentacon 29mm f2.8
Tamron 28mm f2.5
Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f2.8
Soligor 35mm f2.8
MIR-1B 37mm f2.8
Zuikos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Olivier

Thank you very much for effort and some good information about what I could do with my camera. Im not sure what you mean by glass view finder ?

Also for now I would like to focus on tele lens like maybe 80-200, 180, 200 or 300 with good light. I think i could spend around 200 on lens on that stage. We talking of course about used lenses.

I don't want to buy a lot of them in same tame because i will not have time to check them and feel them Wink

At the moment I'm owner of Canon 28-135 3.5/5.6 and Sigma 50mm 1.4.

I'm not sure about adapters but for now I know only about m42.There are different adaptors for eos system but I'm not familiar with them (with m42 too...)

I will stay on that site for long time becase I can see here great people with passion and so many helpful threads. That was some luck to find this place Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcin, what is your native language ?
I understand you live in Ireland and that english is not your native language. Correct ?

The viewfinder is the small optical piece above the LCD screen upon which you put your eye to aim and compose your photo.
I hope you understand as english is not my native language too. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I hope you understand as english is not my native language too. Wink

Olivier, I wish I was as good in French as you are in English! If you will help me, I can help you Smile

It should be "English is not my native language either". Wink

Au revoir!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah now i know Wink

My native language is Polish.

Ok so i have standard glass and also lcd view finder. I'm using lcd one to set up white balance manually.

Still waiting for some good advices about some 180 < 300 lens with good light Wink

I can understand you very well so don't be worry about me Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonnar 180 and Sonnar 300 but I'm not sure they are both available in M42.

I like very much the Taïr 300 f:4.5 in M42. You find it for good prices.

Cher Peter, merci beaucoup ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've read the chart on first page showing each camera mount and registers. The thing is that Canon EOS register is 44mm while Rollei SL35 is 44.6mm.
I see that some of you use Rollei Lenses on EOS, so I suppose that these adapters are 0.6mm thick, that is really thin. My question is : would this work with a 135/2.8 sonnar in rollei mount? I'm asking because I've only read feddbacks about 25/2.8, 85/2.8 and other standard focal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrunk wrote:
Hello all,

I've read the chart on first page showing each camera mount and registers. The thing is that Canon EOS register is 44mm while Rollei SL35 is 44.6mm.
I see that some of you use Rollei Lenses on EOS, so I suppose that these adapters are 0.6mm thick, that is really thin. My question is : would this work with a 135/2.8 sonnar in rollei mount? I'm asking because I've only read feddbacks about 25/2.8, 85/2.8 and other standard focal.

Hi and welcome!

I believe those using Rollei lenses are buying thin adapters (but not thin enough) and then adjusting infinity focus on the lenses.

Hope this helps Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I wanna thank you all for the advices you gived me some time ago!

I ended up buyng for really low prices two lenses:

olympus om zuiko 50 mm f 1,8
kiron (om fit) 28-85mm f 2,8-3,8

I am very happy with them, except for a thing: colors! maybe it's just an impression, but it seems that color are not bright as with the AF lens that I have or with my father's compact digital camera

is it possible that an old lens doesn't reproduce the colors well?

again, thank you and sorry for my bad english! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saramob wrote:
hi, I wanna thank you all for the advices you gived me some time ago!

I ended up buyng for really low prices two lenses:

olympus om zuiko 50 mm f 1,8
kiron (om fit) 28-85mm f 2,8-3,8

I am very happy with them, except for a thing: colors! maybe it's just an impression, but it seems that color are not bright as with the AF lens that I have or with my father's compact digital camera

is it possible that an old lens doesn't reproduce the colors well?

again, thank you and sorry for my bad english! Smile

Many of low priced old lenses has lower contrast and different colors than newest AF lenses. Some of them stunning and I love them , some of them request to fix it. I use auto color and contrast improvment in this case in post processing when I convert them from RAW to jpg. In 90% auto function is produce good results in rest of cases I adjust pictures manually.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much again for your reply!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: M42->EOS and P6->EOS Adapter experience Reply with quote

Dear friends,

let me share some recent experiences with M42-> and P6->EOS adapters. I own an EOS 20D, and have recently bought three types of adpaters.

1) M42->EOS by two different Ebay vendors (http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390241845784, http://cgi.ebay.de/M42-to-Canon-adapter-for-20D-30D-40D-50D-450D-400D-/290446336805?pt=Filtri_e_Lenti&hash=item439ff36325)

Unfortunately, the hole for the pinlock is about 0.2 mm too big. So the lenses can be mounted but are not well-fixed.

2) M42->EOS with AF chip (http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170518698518&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

Pinlock fits perfectly.

3) P6->EOS by two vendors (http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280426826205&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT, http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220485932263&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

Same bad fit as with the plain M42->EOS adapters. And with a fat Sonnar, this hurts the donkey.

Is this a common problem?

Best regards, Aspera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter what adapter you get for Eos?
My friend has the Canon 500D and she wants to try my M42 lenses...I use Pentax and have no idea which adapter to get for her?
Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M42 to EOS adapters are less problematic because the difference in register of almost 1.5 mm so ,shouldn't be problems with infinity focus. I'd suggest an AF-confirm chip one .I use this and I am satisfied : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270664943824&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com.au%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D270664943824%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
on her 500D in life view ,the focusing is going to be easier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some tries and following lots of advices here, I bought the ones from Big_Is with EMF chip, and I'm really satisfied with them. Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.fr/EMF-AF-confirm-M42-lens-2-canon-adapter-eos1DS-Mark-III-/120440946261?pt=Lens_Accessories&hash=item1c0ad6fe55

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you...It will be interesting to see how the M42s go on a Canon. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just get some clarification of the situation with Rollei lenses on EOS. It seems like the 50/1.8 has problems with the 5D and - I assume - other full frame models. But is this OK on other non-FF models like 10D, 20D etc? Does it clear the mirror? If there are problems, which 50/1.8 models does it affect - all or just some?

And while I'm posting, can you point me to any ready-to-buy adapters that are shaved down to the 0.6mm needed for infinity focus?