Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS and manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pity about that.

I know I'd be reluctant to file anything myself as I've always preferred, where possible, to make all mods reversible even though I may never fit the lens to it's native camera.

I know. I'm really torn. I still shoot my film contax even more than the DSLR. They mount on the 40D well enough. I can not even mount the lenses to the camera the tabs protrude into the wall of the mirror box.

@ Orio
What is your experience? Did you file these tabs off?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can not even mount the lenses to the camera the tabs protrude into the wall of the mirror box.

This tallies with what SRB-Griturn (UK company that supplies and manufactures various photo accessories) told me when I enquired as to why they indicated that the C/Y-EOS adapter they had for sale wasn't suitable for FF Canon bodies both film and digital.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

@ Orio
What is your experience? Did you file these tabs off?

Only on my Nikkors, because they are very easy to "operate", the annoying parts are not moving (they are fixed), and the filing has no consequence on the use with Nikon cameras.

I did not dare to operate the same way the contax lenses, partly because I only has problems with a couple of them (the Hollywood 28 and the Distagon 18 ), partly because the part to file was moving so I supposed it to be part of the necessary mechanism.

Finally, I decided that I really wanted to use on my 5D all the manual lenses that I have, and there are several that I could not mount because of mirror (the SMC Takumar 1.4/50, the Helios-44-2, practically all the old aluminium Zeiss Jena lenses, and others). So I took the plunge and shaved the mirror.
Like I said in the thread about that operation, it was so much simpler, faster, and easier than I expected, and I really regretted to have waited so long before doing that. Now, I can mount all MF lenses on my 5D, with the exception of a couple ones of those old Zeiss Jena aluminiums, which still refuse to clear the mirror.
For those lenses, however, I suspect that a simple operation of removal of the bottom part would make them mountable. but I am faint of heart and I don't have the coureage to do that! Still, as it is now, I can mount 98 or 99% of my lenses, including all the most important ones for me, so I am content like this. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio is the CCZ 2.8/180MMG a problem for you. My problem is not the mirror. Rather it is the inside of the camera that the tabs hit. I can't even mount them on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Orio is the CCZ 2.8/180MMG a problem for you. My problem is not the mirror. Rather it is the inside of the camera that the tabs hit. I can't even mount them on.

No, it was never a problem, even when my 5D was unshaved. I always could mount it without any problem.

My version is MM - I know by experience that some lenses (such as Distagon 18 ) have different physical shape in the bottom between the AE and MM versions. I don't know if this is true of the 180mm however.
-

Last edited by Orio on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a German MM (I know lucky me ). It has the old mount that is cut from one piece of metal. I have never seen the Japan model I only assumed it is the same. The other thing and more likely is my 5D is different slightly. The fin is for strength right? It could not hurt to file a mm or so off. Idea It is a shame to damage this lens however. Although I never plan to sell it. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Mine is a German MM (I know lucky me ). It has the old mount that is cut from one piece of metal. I have never seen the Japan model I only assumed it is the same. The other thing and more likely is my 5D is different slightly. The fin is for strength right? It could not hurt to file a mm or so off. Idea It is a shame to damage this lens however. Although I never plan to sell it. What do you think?

I would never shave a lens worth more than 100-150 Euros. And especially a rare one such as yours. The Nikkors that I shaved were all old and battered ones, that I bought for, like 30 Euros to 50-60 Euros each.

It is much better to shave the mirror in my opinion. You do that only once, and you are set forever without the need to operate any lens. And in the unlikely case that you make a damage to your 5D, you can have it fixed for (they tell me) something between 200 and 300 Euros. So, less than the average price for one Contax 180mm lens.

-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at my Contax 180mm
the bottoms seems made from one whole piece of metal, just as you describe it.
So the mystery is not resolved.

I only had problem mounting lenses on 5D (as opposed to mirror clearing problem) with a couple of Nikkors. This because of the very long metal flange. But like I said i filed it and then I could mount the lens.
I never had this kind of problem with Contax lenses.

I heard that 5D was slightly modified after some time. Perhaps our cameras belong to different "breeds" and this might explain the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I took another look and measured a bit. Filing is a major commitment I should not do it at least not on the 180. Orio you're right. It is to uncommon to deface this lens.

The cameras must be different. Mine was new to the last owner in August '07. One solution could be to swap the mounts possibly. I have a box of C/Y mount lenses. Some are really inexpensive and could be donors.

Anyway future 5D buyers now can be aware of this potential issue.

I guess I will have to sell all my Contax lenses and buy a Canon f/.097 1mm - 3700mm EF IS EL Super Turd with the built paint air brush to fix the models makeup.

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Planar 50 is MM and is also AFAIK Japanese - but whichever it's country of manufacture, the fin on this one is plastic and fits into the actual mount.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
My Planar 50 is MM and is also AFAIK Japanese

It is. There is no German Planar 1.4/50. They were all built in Japan (understandeably, as 50mm is the easiest lens to build and the one that needed the largest commercial quantity)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Rollei Planar 1.4/50 Made in West Germany.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
My Rollei Planar 1.4/50 Made in West Germany.

Yes, Rollei (mine also which is 1.8/50)
I mean no Contax Planar 1.4/50 is made in Germany

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Gotten a Canon EOS 1Ds Reply with quote

I've just gotten a CANON EOS 1Ds full frame, 11mpix camera, and I'd like to now if someone else has some experiences to share on adapters and so.

My first concerns are about mirror hitting the lenses and compatible adapters.
The 5D is known to need a mirror shaving.
On the other hand my EOS-M42 adapter did not work in a EOS 1D Mark II of a friend, so I'm worried if it will work on the 1Ds.

Any info will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS 5D MK II Compatability Reply with quote

I'm new so be gentle. I have a compatibilty question that has probably already been answered. Are these lenses compatible with my Canon EOS 5D MK II?

LEICA 28mm f/2.8 ELMARIT-R

ZEISS Distagon T 2/28

I Heard with the Lieca you have issues with the lens hitting the mirror. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotten a Canon EOS 1Ds Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I've just gotten a CANON EOS 1Ds full frame, 11mpix camera, and I'd like to now if someone else has some experiences to share on adapters and so.

My first concerns are about mirror hitting the lenses and compatible adapters.
The 5D is known to need a mirror shaving.
On the other hand my EOS-M42 adapter did not work in a EOS 1D Mark II of a friend, so I'm worried if it will work on the 1Ds.

Any info will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jes.

It is almost certainly not the adapter that is the problem but the particular lens that is mounted on the adapter. Many lenses work with an adapter on the full-frame Canons - no mirror shaving needed - but some protrude too far into the camera. The shorter the focal length the more chance of a problem, any prime over 100mm seems to be OK as are a great many 50 to 100mm lenses and some wide-angles (notably the Flektogons). The old 1Ds is probably the same.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is an interesting post. I'll finally wait and save some money in order to buy a 5D , which is by now quite affordable. I want the full frame, cause i think that the crop sensors won't make it for me ... besides having a huge viewfinder on SLR's and going to a smaller one is meh.

So i've read that some lenses are troubles with this body, so if one can help i plane to use those ones, if you can tell by experience if they're usable without troubles cos i don't want to shave a mirror Very Happy

- Helios 44M and 44-2
- CZJ Sonnar 3.5 135mm
- surely a Pancolar 50mm
- Pentax SUper takumar 2/55 mm

optional cos i have RX body
- Contax Planar 1.7/50mm
- Yashica DSB 135mm 2.8
- and a 2.8/85mm Sonnar

Thanx for any infos !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, New to the forum. i,ve got a canon 300D and a m42 AF adapter, with a couple of lenses
a pentacon 500mm F;8
a helios 70-150mm F:3.8
and a mirage 100-200mm F:5.6.
what mode should my camera be set to and what do I need to adjust?
or anyone have a link to somewhere where it is explained.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thomas.

Set your 300D on Av or M Mode.
Then set the aperture on your lens, make the focus, adjust the speed to reach the right exposure and shoot.

Maybe you'll have to compensate exposure (over or under expose).

Enjoy ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Olivier, i,ll give it a go today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Hello Thomas.

Set your 300D on Av or M Mode.
Then set the aperture on your lens, make the focus, adjust the speed to reach the right exposure and shoot.

Maybe you'll have to compensate exposure (over or under expose).

Enjoy ! Very Happy

Sometime ago Orio posted an excellent explanation on stop-down metering on the EOS cameras. If I remember correctly; the further the actualy f-value is from the one coded in the adapter, the more the camera overexposes (or underexposes, if the actual f-value is lower than the coded value).

In general; use the histogram!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I'm new here (and really inexpert)
I have a canon 450d and I was wondernig wich manual lenses I could buy... the problem is that I run really low on money so I was thinking that if I buy some lenses of the same brand at least I have to buy only one adapter.. (maybe it's stupid I don't know) wich brand is easy to find (for example on ebay) and has a lot of different kind of lenses?
(I'm trying to figure out what I'd like, for sure something similar to the canon 50mm 1.8 and maybe a tele and a wide angle)

I don't even know if it's a good idea trying manual lenses since I'm so new to photography, but I think that I will learn someway! I looked in this direction 'cause of the prices!

I'm sorry if my question sounds stupid, but I don't know much about lenses so I'm a bit confused
(sorry also for bad english) Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Saramob and welcome.

I think I can speak for every members here : there are no silly or stupid questions. Smile

I have a Canon 40D.
Look at my signature : you'll find M42 mount, Pk mount, Nikon mount, P6 mount.
For each of these mounts, I have one adapter. So that makes 4.
There are other adapters, such as Exakta and others.

The more easy is to buy a M42 adapter. I would advise to buy an AF confim adapter, that means one with a chip which enables the visor red leds to light on in the focusing screen.
With M42 adapter you have access to a very great number of MF lenses and many are cheap.

For example : very good lenses for relatively cheap (less than the canon ef 1.8/50) :
- the Pentacon 29mm 50mm and 135mm,
- the Helios-44 58mm.

A link to a M42 adapter :
m42 adapter

Last edited by Olivier on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome! Don't worry, your English is great, well done! Smile

Your Canon 450D is ideal for MF lenses because you have a very wide choice you can use. Virtually all lens brands can be mounted with plain adapters because the camera is thinner than most other makes, and the bayonet mount is wider. The only common lens brands that can't be used directly are the old Minolta MD and Canon FD mounts, because they are designed for even thinner cameras. These lenses need to be mounted closer to the film/sensor than the EOS mount allows, but even this can be overcome using "optical" adapters which have an internal correcting lens. Cheap optical adapters can affect the image quality and reduce light transmission.

Most of us here have started with M42 screw mount MF lenses before looking at other types, mainly because they are usually relatively cheap and easily found. If you already own an SLR and lenses of a different make (for instance Pentax, Nikon or Olympus) it makes sense to stick with these to avoid buying too many different adapters, but after a while you'll be bitten by the bug and want to try out something else! Smile

Even though you're low on money at the moment, I don't believe it's a good idea to buy very cheap quality lenses, much better to save up to buy something good. You can find some very high quality M42 lenses under $100, and there are several "hidden gems" we can recommend, which can cost less than half that.

You'll need an M42 to EOS adapter to mount these lenses on your camera. You can find them easily on Ebay, I would recommend you start with a plain one like this:
Click here to see on Ebay
Later you can think about other tyoes and adapters with chips which fool the camera into thinking you have an AF lens, and the camera will beep when you hit correct focus.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the answers!

I'll give a try with the M42!

I found two old lenses of my father:
- tamron 80-210 f/3,8-4 adaptall 2
- konica 40 f/1,8

is it worth using the tamron? since it's already here I'm curious of trying it

I read on various forums that there is no way to use the konica 40mm on my canon 450d, is it impossible even with two adapters (canon-m42 and m42 konica, or something like this)? (I guess not, or many people would do it) Very Happy
I see that somebody put in the middle an extension tube, but he had to glue the back cover of the lens to the tube and make a hole in it (and I think this is useful only for macros, or not?)
http://photoblog.edu-perez.com/2009/01/konica-lens-canon-eos-camera-2.html

I used the konica 40/1.8 on my father's SLR and I like this lens really much! It's a pity that I couldn't use it on my camera