Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS and manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Eos m42 converter Reply with quote

Hello i'm kind of a newbee here and i've got an EOS 350D with an M42 adapter and a Takumar 1:1.8/ 55 mm lens. I like it very much but the only problem is that I can't use the Aperturefuntion on the lens. Are there converters which can controll this function?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You need an EOS -> M42 adapter with apterture pin flange.

So not like this one (look at inside):

But like this one :

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know where I can find one?
i found this on Ebay.
Is this a good one?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is a "good" one, you cannot really tell before you can try it, but it looks like it presses down the pin.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerbenv wrote:
Do you know where I can find one?
i found this on Ebay.
Is this a good one?

That'll do it. 'big_is' is a well known reliable seller on ebay.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I have a Zuiko adapter from these guys. It works very well and has next to no play. The M42 adapters are usually the most realiable from any seller. It is the easiest to make. Definitely get one with the AF confirm chip if this is your first try at MF lenses on a crop dslr.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 5D mostly have problem with wide angles, right?
Like around and bellow 50mm mostly ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compatibility list is here - not exhaustive though.

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

If you check my gear list via the link in my sig, I can tell you which M42 mount lenses out of that list are problematic with my 5D. However, some 5Ds may not have issues - both myself and Orio have 5D bodies and CZJ Flektogon 4/25 lenses, but my 4/25 copy fouls my 5D's mirror, while AFAIK Orio's doesn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
both myself and Orio have 5D bodies and CZJ Flektogon 4/25 lenses, but my 4/25 copy fouls my 5D's mirror, while AFAIK Orio's doesn't.

Yes, I seem to remember that it didn't - I have to check, I am able to see it from the RAW info, but I need to find the files in my archive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember you commenting on how it had the same or similar IQ and lack of distortion as the 4/20 so I inferred from that, that you had been able to mount the lens on your 5D without issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been finding trouble with half my Contax lenses. The rear fin and aperture post is to long.

The 1.4/50AEJ and MMJ, 1.7/50AEJ and MMJ, 2.8/35AEJ, 2.8/28AEJ, 2/100MMG and 35-135MMJ are all good.

The 2.8/28MMJ 2.8/60AEG, 1.4/85AEG, 2.8/135, 2.8/180MMG, and 80-200MMJ all not good.

All the Zuiko's are an easy fit from 21mm-180mm.

Any similar experiences. Will filing ruin future use on Contax film cameras? Should not aye?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Planar 1.4/50 MM via the Fotodiox adapter is fine.

If you don't have a Contax body and don't intend getting one, you may not need to file anything:

Unscrew the three screws securing the mount and lift it off - you should then be able to lift off the plastic fin assembly and refit the mount.

The aperture post is secured by two screws - again you may be able to remove this without filing although I'm not sure if the aperture post is part of the aperture ring click stop assembly.

Whatever you do here, don't lose the tiny ball-bearing that provides the aperture click stops.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the problem lenses the baffle is part of the mount. Machined and quite angry looking like a shark tooth cut in half.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity about that. Sad

I know I'd be reluctant to file anything myself as I've always preferred, where possible, to make all mods reversible even though I may never fit the lens to it's native camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pity about that.

I know I'd be reluctant to file anything myself as I've always preferred, where possible, to make all mods reversible even though I may never fit the lens to it's native camera.

I know. I'm really torn. I still shoot my film contax even more than the DSLR. They mount on the 40D well enough. I can not even mount the lenses to the camera the tabs protrude into the wall of the mirror box.

@ Orio
What is your experience? Did you file these tabs off?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pity about that.

I know. I'm really torn. I still shoot my film contax even more than the DSLR. They mount on the 40D well enough. I can not even mount the lenses to the camera the tabs protrude into the wall of the mirror box.

@ Orio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can not even mount the lenses to the camera the tabs protrude into the wall of the mirror box.

This tallies with what SRB-Griturn (UK company that supplies and manufactures various photo accessories) told me when I enquired as to why they indicated that the C/Y-EOS adapter they had for sale wasn't suitable for FF Canon bodies both film and digital.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

@ Orio

Only on my Nikkors, because they are very easy to "operate", the annoying parts are not moving (they are fixed), and the filing has no consequence on the use with Nikon cameras.

I did not dare to operate the same way the contax lenses, partly because I only has problems with a couple of them (the Hollywood 28 and the Distagon 18 ), partly because the part to file was moving so I supposed it to be part of the necessary mechanism.

Finally, I decided that I really wanted to use on my 5D all the manual lenses that I have, and there are several that I could not mount because of mirror (the SMC Takumar 1.4/50, the Helios-44-2, practically all the old aluminium Zeiss Jena lenses, and others). So I took the plunge and shaved the mirror.
Like I said in the thread about that operation, it was so much simpler, faster, and easier than I expected, and I really regretted to have waited so long before doing that. Now, I can mount all MF lenses on my 5D, with the exception of a couple ones of those old Zeiss Jena aluminiums, which still refuse to clear the mirror.
For those lenses, however, I suspect that a simple operation of removal of the bottom part would make them mountable. but I am faint of heart and I don't have the coureage to do that! Still, as it is now, I can mount 98 or 99% of my lenses, including all the most important ones for me, so I am content like this. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio is the CCZ 2.8/180MMG a problem for you. My problem is not the mirror. Rather it is the inside of the camera that the tabs hit. I can't even mount them on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Orio is the CCZ 2.8/180MMG a problem for you. My problem is not the mirror. Rather it is the inside of the camera that the tabs hit. I can't even mount them on.

No, it was never a problem, even when my 5D was unshaved. I always could mount it without any problem.

My version is MM - I know by experience that some lenses (such as Distagon 18 ) have different physical shape in the bottom between the AE and MM versions. I don't know if this is true of the 180mm however.
-

Last edited by Orio on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a German MM (I know lucky me ). It has the old mount that is cut from one piece of metal. I have never seen the Japan model I only assumed it is the same. The other thing and more likely is my 5D is different slightly. The fin is for strength right? It could not hurt to file a mm or so off. Idea It is a shame to damage this lens however. Although I never plan to sell it. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Mine is a German MM (I know lucky me ). It has the old mount that is cut from one piece of metal. I have never seen the Japan model I only assumed it is the same. The other thing and more likely is my 5D is different slightly. The fin is for strength right? It could not hurt to file a mm or so off. Idea It is a shame to damage this lens however. Although I never plan to sell it. What do you think?

I would never shave a lens worth more than 100-150 Euros. And especially a rare one such as yours. The Nikkors that I shaved were all old and battered ones, that I bought for, like 30 Euros to 50-60 Euros each.

It is much better to shave the mirror in my opinion. You do that only once, and you are set forever without the need to operate any lens. And in the unlikely case that you make a damage to your 5D, you can have it fixed for (they tell me) something between 200 and 300 Euros. So, less than the average price for one Contax 180mm lens.

-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at my Contax 180mm
the bottoms seems made from one whole piece of metal, just as you describe it.
So the mystery is not resolved.

I only had problem mounting lenses on 5D (as opposed to mirror clearing problem) with a couple of Nikkors. This because of the very long metal flange. But like I said i filed it and then I could mount the lens.
I never had this kind of problem with Contax lenses.

I heard that 5D was slightly modified after some time. Perhaps our cameras belong to different "breeds" and this might explain the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I took another look and measured a bit. Filing is a major commitment I should not do it at least not on the 180. Orio you're right. It is to uncommon to deface this lens.

The cameras must be different. Mine was new to the last owner in August '07. One solution could be to swap the mounts possibly. I have a box of C/Y mount lenses. Some are really inexpensive and could be donors.

Anyway future 5D buyers now can be aware of this potential issue.

I guess I will have to sell all my Contax lenses and buy a Canon f/.097 1mm - 3700mm EF IS EL Super Turd with the built paint air brush to fix the models makeup.

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Planar 50 is MM and is also AFAIK Japanese - but whichever it's country of manufacture, the fin on this one is plastic and fits into the actual mount.