Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS 40D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS 40D Reply with quote

Finally Canon has confirmed the release of the new EOS 40D!
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos40d/
Some interesting new features: 3 custom modes (you store your settings), Auto ISO (it seems still not as flexible as Nikon's auto iso but at last Canon did it!), interchangeable focus screens (just like the 5D screens, great for MF lenses!), new 10mpixel sensor, 1/3 stop ISO adjustment, 14-bit ADC, DIGIC III processor, live preview mode, 1D style menus... impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never use Auto ISO (this is something I can decide for myself), but I would surely use the tilt correction which sounds useful for those hurried shots. And the possibility to check manual focus thought the LCD sounds like a winner, although we'll have to see how well and effectively it will be implemented.
The inclusion of the interchangeable screens shows that Canon wants to market this camera as a semi-pro, thus I expect a price well above the 1000 Euros.
At that point, I don't know how appealing it will be: probably too expensive for the average amateur, while the demanding amateur will still probably want to add the extra 500 or so and get the full frame 5D.
I think this camera will appeal mostly to sport and wildlife photographers: the increased speed of the CMOS III will allow for faster sequences, while the crop factor isn't much an issue for sport and wildlife action, where most of the times you end up using tele lenses.

Another feature I just noticed, the increased AD conversion bitrate, this will mean wider dynamic range, this is probably the feature with the most impact on the image quality.