Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon A-1 - the unloved Canon SLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
If you are interested in flash try and get the matching 300TL cheap..but for me I try and use all my cameras in my profile, they are just tools to me with an additional hobby of playing with lenses , but they are all better than I'm a photographer Smile
AAMOI the new great buy of the year to look out for is the Canon AF EOS 300 with the kit lens for £5 (I bought one and so did someone else for a fiver) this does everything like the A1 and only weighs 820g also I've put a EF to M42 adapter on it, and it can meter....shame it can't take FD lenses Sad..thank you Canon for not caring. Sad

Yes - Canon's biggest black spot against its then existing established support base.
I think that I will pass on the EOS 300.
Thanks, but no thanks Canon.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Just to add as you are interested in exposure:- The T90 has spot metering and IIRC you can select up to 8 (or is it 9) areas in your scene and it will hold this in memory and average the exposure before you take the shot....ok it's cheating again over traditional methods Smile

Yeah, I remember even from the ads on the T90 back in the 80s about its spot averaging. I finally bought a clean T90 last year, but I've never used this feature. Really haven't used the camera that much, to be honest, but I am very much impressed by its capabilities. It's only real fault, the way I see it, is the aperture ring is not coupled to the meter. So, when shooting in manual mode, just like with the A-1, you've got to look away from the viewfinder to the lens to see where to set the aperture for proper exposure. I don't know why Canon didn't offer this feature in more cameras than it did. The FTb, the TX and TLb?, the new and old F-1s, and the AT-1 are the only FD cameras that had the aperture coupled to the meter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Just to add as you are interested in exposure:- The T90 has spot metering and IIRC you can select up to 8 (or is it 9) areas in your scene and it will hold this in memory and average the exposure before you take the shot....ok it's cheating again over traditional methods Smile

Yeah, I remember even from the ads on the T90 back in the 80s about its spot averaging. I finally bought a clean T90 last year, but I've never used this feature. Really haven't used the camera that much, to be honest, but I am very much impressed by its capabilities. It's only real fault, the way I see it, is the aperture ring is not coupled to the meter. So, when shooting in manual mode, just like with the A-1, you've got to look away from the viewfinder to the lens to see where to set the aperture for proper exposure. I don't know why Canon didn't offer this feature in more cameras than it did. The FTb, the TX and TLb?, the new and old F-1s, and the AT-1 are the only FD cameras that had the aperture coupled to the meter.

That is such a strange decision by Canon.
Difficult to understand
OH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that Canon had decided to go "all in" on automation for its amateur line of cameras with the introduction of the AE-1 in 1976, with the AT-1 being the sole notable exception, which came out shortly after the AE-1 -- an obvious nod to photography students who needed manual control, but who couldn't afford an F-1. Anyway, because of this attitude, I believe that Canon just didn't see aperture coupling as necessary, since, with the A-1 and T90, when the aperture ring is set to "A", one can shoot in Aperture Priority and assign the aperture value on the camera and not the lens.