Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 7, color skopar 35 2.5 compatibility
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Canon 7, color skopar 35 2.5 compatibility Reply with quote

Hi,

I just ordered two things that I thought I had a handle on but apparently that wasn't the case. At the time of the purchase my thinking was "The Canon 7 takes Leica screw thread, this color Skopar comes in Leica screw thread".

Post-purchased I looked it up a bit more and there appears to be a number of versions and variants of the Voigtländer Color-Skopar 35/2.5 and LTM and L39/M39 might not all be the same thing.

The Skopar type in question that I purchased is one of these:

Click here to see on Ebay

Will it fit a Canon 7?

Can someone enlighten me on the possible differences of Leica screw thread (I'm aware russian lenses have a slightly different mount)?

If the things I bought don't go well together that is slightly unfortunate but it isn't the end of the world, I'll sell one of them : )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander lenses are built for Leica-specification for rangefinder adjustment.

If your camera is too, then there should be no issue.

There's 2 potential issues with "M39"-lenses:
1. Some Soviet SLR-lenses have 39mm thread but much bigger registration distance, and no rangefinder-coupling. Unusable on a rangefinder, unless you use a spacer and the camera has liveview.
2. The Soviet LTM-lenses will physically fit and work (except for some versions of the Jupiter-12 / Biogon-clone), but the Soviet LTM-rangefinder-cameras (FED, Zorki, Leningrad) have a slightly different standard for the rangefinder, so focus may be off on a camera bult to Leica rangefinder-standard (unless the lens is calibrated to Leica-standard)
3. A lot of the confusion comes from the fact that some lenses, such as Jupiter 9 and Jupiter 11, have been made in both LTM and SLR M39 mount.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!
I'm a little wiser now.

I think the lens should fit the Canon 7 rangefinder then as the only potential misfits I've read about are russian lenses like the Jupiter 8. I was just rather confused when I saw several different models with different mounts of Skopar 35 2.5. Confused and not really sure about the relationship with the russian mount but your post has been a bit enlightening.

"SLR M39", heh : ) I suppose those are generally larger lenses.