Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5D users out there?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Canon 5D users out there? Reply with quote

I am sorely tempted by full frame for manual focus lenses. It means selling my beloved 350D and sigma EFS 17-70. And its A LOT of money for a body only second hand they seem to go for about ?1000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the digital camera forum! didn't see that before. So do all lenses fit is there a problem with wider lenses extending into the body?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Ah yes the digital camera forum! didn't see that before. So do all lenses fit is there a problem with wider lenses extending into the body?

Unfortunately not all lenses work. Some can be mounted but don't clear the mirror. Some other clear the mirror at close focus but not at infinity. Some are so protruding that can not even be mounted.
The problem affects mostly the wide angle lenses at infinity focus, but sometimes, also the standard lenses like 50mm.

Here's some of mine that don't work:

Nikkor pre-AI 24mm/2.8 - can not be mounted

Nikkor pre-AI 28mm/2 - can not be mounted

Mir-1B 2.8/37mm - doesn't clear mirror at infinity (ok at close range)

SMC Takumar 1.4/50mm - sometimes doesn't clear mirror at infinity, sometimes it does (must be a matter of a hair thin difference)

This is what I can remember now, i think I had a problem with the Helios-44-2 also, but I am not sure, must check.
There may be others.

There was a list online, i don't remember if I already put the link in the links forum, anyway I will look for it later (currently I'm busy with the work)

Anyway if you are really in love with the 350D, don't sell it, you may regret it - or, my suggestion, try a 400D first. It's not full frame, but for many reasons, it is a better camera than the 5D - more technologically advanced, and in my opinion, better image quality.
(I know many don't agree on this)
The 400D is a fantastic camera at a very cheap price. I may buy another one next year as a third body. Sometimes I feel I could use three cameras (in situations like the Carnival).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio there are a few things I dont like about the 350D like the fidlly buttons, I may try to borrow a 400D and see the difference. Maybe put the 5D off for a few more years, I do like the full frame capabilities though, maybe one day....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Thanks Orio there are a few things I dont like about the 350D like the fidlly buttons, I may try to borrow a 400D and see the difference. Maybe put the 5D off for a few more years, I do like the full frame capabilities though, maybe one day....

I moved from the 300D to the 400D and the difference is HUGE in terms of larger display, much friendlier user interface, larger writings, etc.
This is one area where the 400D is even better than the 5D.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, does the 400D have any known mirror clearance problems with commonly used M42 mf lenses, like the 5D?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naplam wrote:
Orio, does the 400D have any known mirror clearance problems with commonly used M42 mf lenses, like the 5D?

No, the mirror in the 400D is smaller (because of crop size) and it gives no problem.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LensLunatic wrote:

Using Contax (C/Y), Leica (R) and Olympus (OM) wide-angle lenses on a full-frame DSLR like the 5D is extremely rewarding IMHO: sharpness right into the outer image corners, as well as evenness of brightness of these lenses is outstanding and still unrivalled - most available AF lenses (both fix-focals and zooms) aren't even remotely as good as these old gems.

This is the Gospel, my friend Smile
Yes, Contax, Leica, and Olympus are the Holy Trinity of manual focus wide angle lenses. And yes I have yet to see an AF wide angle lens that performs as good as any Distagon or as the Elmarit 19 or as the Olympus 18 and 20mm. The current Canon and Nikon offerings may be sharp (but not always, at least if what I read on the Canon forums is to be believed), but as far as distortion, corner performance, and microcontrast quality, they have just to run and hide for the shame Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LL Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compatibility list as a first clue - at last you have to try it on your own as mentioned before:
http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/index.html

After we've bought the 5D we rarely use our 350D. Looking through the viewfinder of the crop camera is like looking through a small dark tunnel. I feel always uncomfortable about the focal length on crop, there is always something "wrong" and too long. A very big point for me is the much lesser noise of the full format sensor.

But don't listen to me, this is absolutely subjecive. After the first time I had this camera in my hands I was enchanted and not able to make objective statements about it anymore. Twisted Evil

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LensLunatic wrote:

Yep, it's the plain truth ... distortion being the one thing I hadn't even mentioned .... Very Happy

Hi Werner, nice to meet you here. World is small, especially the world of mf lens lunatics - I think you've sold me the Mir-47M.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LensLunatic wrote:
But ... don't you EVER try to use the rearward (screw-mount) filters when using the lens on a full-frame Canon body .....! Very Happy

Yes, two times. The first and the last time Shocked . You know what happend. But I think in contrary to the Zenitar Fisheye the rear filter isn't part of the optical calculation - at least it doesn't matter using higher aperture values.

Much worser was what happend to me with the adapter: It was getting stuck in the 350D during a wedding shot and I was in panic although it was only the backup camera used for some wide shots. After a few minutes I recognize the small assembled pin (not the stop screw) that was getting caught in the mount. For my cameras this pin isn't necessery so I detached it - and the wedding session was a success Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LensLunatic wrote:
Yes, the MIR's rear filter is NOT part of the optical formula, nobody really misses it... Smile ?

I think (but am not sure) that it's absence influences the position of the focusing ring, making the barrel writings wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LensLunatic wrote:
I had also had tested the adapter on a 350D, a 20D, a 5D, an 1D Mk.II and an 1D Mk.IIN. No problems whatsoever! It always went in and out like .... ah, forget it. Very Happy

Don't mind about it, nothing serious happend Very Happy

LensLunatic wrote:
... Very Happy Do you have any pics of the wedding to show?

Yes, I've posted some of the pictures including the Mir-47M ones:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=1268
Many of the groom- , location- and family shots where made with this lens.

Michael