Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5D MkI with bad LCD display, what to do?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
Point is... Canon should be *the* DSLR brand, no?

Actually... no.
Canon is cheap with camera build. Always has been. If it wasn't for the register distance, I'd be using a Nikon.

I hate Noink for some reason. I would give up photography rather than use a Noink DSLR. Film SLR maybe, but DSLRs..... I really, really, really, really, really hate them and I've no idea why.

I know a few others that have the same opinion and the same reason.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Orio wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
Point is... Canon should be *the* DSLR brand, no?

Actually... no.
Canon is cheap with camera build. Always has been. If it wasn't for the register distance, I'd be using a Nikon.

I hate Noink for some reason. I would give up photography rather than use a Noink DSLR. Film SLR maybe, but DSLRs..... I really, really, really, really, really hate them and I've no idea why.

I know a few others that have the same opinion and the same reason.

I hate cameras with bayonets which require the lenses to be turned anti-clockwise to lock them Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really is a gear forum. Very Happy
Images from even the original 5D far outperform the very best camera LCD.
Yes the screen was bad but, the iq as viewed in print or on a "proper" display is fantastic.
Break the chimping habit and the screen won't matter. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy, I have zero interest in viewfinders that give me realistic colours, as long as the colours in the photograph are like those of the first 5D.
I sometimes think that histograms are all that a DSLR should show as playback view. For sure they are the only thing I care about - but I ralely need them anyway because I like to measure light accurately before taking the photo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I sometimes think that histograms are all that a DSLR should show as playback view. For sure they are the only thing I care about - but I ralely need them anyway because I like to measure light accurately before taking the photo.

Agreed!

The main reason being that the light meter in the 5D is not fully reliable when using manual lenses. I normally use an adapter with f/3.5 programmed in it, which ensures that it isn't too far off in both directions. Still it is a good thing to check for blown highlights.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I used to own the MKI and the serial no. was 2431200x. I did not notice any problems with the mirror or LCD display. When I sold it on, I guess the buyer complaint a little about the brightness of the screen which can be adjusted anyway.

However, my demands might be lower as I am used to shooting with a much smaller LCD display using my Oly E-300 before the 5D came around.

However, I must admit I dislike the display of my Nikon D2H. You can never tell how sharp the images are even when you zoom in. There is just not enough pixel density there.

Last edited by stingOM on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if we could use this

with the 5D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5D with a low serial number (starting with a 0), and I never had problems with the LCD. However, I only use it for inspecting the histogram. And it is fine for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same, but there were always complaints that the display was not bright enough on this model. Maybe it is just the way it is designed.

My problem is getting batteries - I bought three "new" Canon ones on ebay and none of them hold their charge (unless the camera is running them down somehow). I assume they were old stock.