Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 50/1.2 LTM-Rangefinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Canon 50/1.2 LTM-Rangefinder Reply with quote

This thing is very unlike the usual stuff I go in for. But one day, while at Gassers in San Francisco, there it was, with a beat-up Voigtlander Bessa R2, for an extremely good price. If you are ever in San Francisco, Adolph Gasser, 181 2nd St., is about the only professional film-oriented camera shop left. If you need 4x5 film, or to rent an MF digital back, or look for second hand cameras and lenses, give them a try.
My father in law, a sudent of Ansel Adams, almost lived at their store, in his day.

http://www.gassersphoto.com/

The lens was in pristine condition, and in spite of looking quite worn, the Bessa R2 was in perfect working order, and included an LTM-M adapter.
I have very little experience with LTM lenses or bodies, so this was a bit new for me, as also an f/1.2 lens.

The Canon lens is of course the little brother of the famous f/0.95 "dream" lens, but rather more practical I understand. Its a dense, solid little thing, not really bigger than a Takumar 50/1.4 and even a bit shorter overall. But that front glass is considerably bigger. This model was made from 1956-67. I'm guessing from its serial number that mine is early-ish in the range, a "version 1", maybe from 1959?

Anyway, there is a good discussion of the type here -

http://www.antiquecameras.net/canon50mmf12ltm.html

Using it was interesting. The most annoying thing about it, as with so many of these Leica type lenses, is the $@#*% infinity lock. Otherwise its much like any SLR lens with a manual aperture. Its a trip watching all those blades open and close in such a huge range! The aperture is not round btw, its 11-sided polygonal with the "flats" being concave segments. I guess its best described as a "star" aperture like the Komuras.

It is said (in the linked article, and elsewhere) that this thing is very prone to vignette, and it is so. Ordinary filters may vignette. I didn't have a 55mm red or yellow, so I was not able to use a filter at all, and the front element glass is so close to the filter thread that we couldn't even find a working UV filter with enough clearance, and we had to dig through Gassers for a workable lens cap. That huge front element looks VERY vulnerable.

Ordinary "normal" 55mm screw-in lens hoods will vignette. My super-monster rangefinder Series VII vented hood vignettes - too bad, its a perfect style match for this lens. Finally in my junk I found a Canon slip-on hood from one of the more popular RF cameras that does work. The proper Canon hood for this thing goes for @$150, so that's right out. I may get an adapter for the smaller Cokin system, that may work.

Results- well, I was using ISO-400 B&W, so pixel peep enough and you will get grain, not sharpness. Still, at f/5.6-f/8, where I did most of my outdoor shooting, this thing is as sharp as anything I have shot film with. No particular flare, though there is a "glow" at larger apertures. I did what I could to get f/1.2 shots - this is not easy, and I don't think its a miscalibrated RF or anything, its just a matter of practice. I don't really have a low-light mind.

Minimum focus on this is pretty far if you are used to SLR lenses. This doesn't go below 1 meter, vs less than 1/2 a meter for the usual 50mm. Just as well, rangefinders aren't made for close work at all.

The Bessa is a very well-behaved, predictable camera. Its really a late model generic SLR body (Copal metal shutter) with a coupled rangefinder attached, and that's how it works. Film transport, lightmeter, film loading and rewind, batteries, are all 1980's SLR style. Some people fault the RF for a short rangefinder baseline, but I had zero problems with this even with this very extreme lens. The ergonomics are nice, the camera works fast enough, and I found the meter very dependable even in indoor light. The viewfinder is better than any of my vast collection of occasionally-functional leaf shutter rangefinders. The only downside is that the shutter is very loud vs the nearly silent leaf shutter types.

I am even entertaining crazy thoughts of getting the Voigtlander 21mm with its external viewfinder at the risk of looking like an overage hipster, or some local San Francisco codemonkey with a hobby. I may have to grow a ponytail.

All shot on expired Kodak TMax 400 or Ultrafine Ultramax which is about the same it seems. Either seems to be a good substitute for good old Tri-X.
Developed by Gassers (yeah, Im lame). Scanned on my ancient Canon scanner.

f/5.6 - f/8

f/1.2 - f/2

A bit of "glow".

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Luis, what a awonderful find! This lens has a high reputation and I was tempted at times,
yet the usual asked for price stirred me away from buying and trying.

Great results you got and I'm sure you get used to using it soon, as I doubt it will sit around.... Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely go with the ponytail - Smile
That is a beautiful lens for sure - good on you.
The results show that lovely old world charm that reminds me so much of the images that I used to see as a much younger man.
I like these a lot
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats with that special find!
Pleasant results, the lens does well and seems to inspire to make different then usual pictures.
Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Looks they perform well. Interesting read.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome bargain and some great images. Thank you for sharing. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb luis..I have the Cokin filter holder etc.you mention,I never use it and if you agree to postage you are welcome to them Gratis.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kryss!
I already do have the Cokin, etc., just missing a 55mm adapter for it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Like Dog

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are some amazing results. You mostly think of this as a bokeh lens, but it looks very sharp to me stopped down.
I just recently found one on eBay on a VT deluxe for a great price, getting it on Wednesday.
After seeing your post, I'm even more excited.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: C 1,2 Reply with quote

In the distant past I briefly used the 1,2 but gave it up in favour of the collapsible Summicron which was easier to transport and (on FP3 and Panatomic-X) provided results that I liked better. The Canons adjustable viewfinder and bottom quick-wind, however was far superior to my ancient IIIc.[/img]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch by unoh7, on Flickr

Dead Beds by unoh7, on Flickr

Street Hemi by unoh7, on Flickr

The lens is not well understood. In fact, it's blistering in the center from 1.4 on down. But the edges never really click in Smile

Driveway by unoh7, on Flickr

That said it has a very nice look and is light and small for it's superspeed punch.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct way to disable the infinity lock is to glue a bit of styrene or wood in the recess of the stationary part of the latch. Keeps the latch from catching, no risk of losing parts. Rubber cement or Pliobond will do fine for glue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon LTM 50/1.2 on NEX 3 -

Since I have a NEX now, I thought I would see what this can do on digital.
All shots from the San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park.

Generally, this lens is fairly soft at f/1.2, but very sharp by f/2
I am not a bokeh man, but the interesting nature of its bokeh characteristics may come across.
A real bokeh-master could do a lot with this thing.

DSC00708 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00601 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00679x by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00589 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00572 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00493 by luisalegria, on Flickr

DSC00733 by luisalegria, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

DSC00601 by luisalegria, on Flickr

fantastic view

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely gorgeous Luis.. Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Luis, I heard very good about this lens and this proves it well!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Very nice lens and it delivers great on NEX 3. Lovely pictures!
I like very much how the bokeh integrates and accentuates the defining lines of the main subject in picture no 2 and the pastel colors in the following flower images.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Canon Rangefinders Reply with quote

I have just created a couple of days ago a website devoted to Canon rangefinders and lenses 1936 to 1975
https://www.canonrangefinder.org
This is still a work in process, but is maybe half complete. I have also added two pages on Minolta-35 cameras and lenses and
I hope to add pages on Leotax, Nicca, Reid, and other historic rangefinders using the M39 screw mount.
Have a look... hope you will find of interest. Also, all corrections, additions, comments welcome at
huffman@gmx.com
thanks, Larry