Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 40mm f/2.8 (RF lens)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Canon 40mm f/2.8 (RF lens) Reply with quote

If you buy lots of cams and lenses, you end up with boxes full of defective and incomplete items.
Among it was a Canonet 28, the electronics did not work anymore, so i took it to pieces and modified the combinated shutter/aperture so that they could still function as simple manual aperture blades, set by the original lever.

A mount from a broken Sony E-mount lens which i kept for obvious reasons made it complete.

On the old NEX-3 it actually makes a handsome combo! The lens itself has a very short focus throw, which can be annoying in low light with the lens wide open, besides that: it's minimum focus distance is 0,8mtrs!

My next project will be a lens from a Minolta Hi-Matic 7S.

Here's how a rangefinder lens from an old film-era compact performs on a sensor, but first a pic of the Frankenlens!
Canony by René Maly, on Flickr

Lazy (Canon 40mm RF lens) by René Maly, on Flickr

Marked (Canon 40mm RF lens) by René Maly, on Flickr

Tree (Canon 40mm RF lens) by René Maly, on Flickr

Tank stop (Canon 40mm RF lens) by René Maly, on Flickr

..(Canon 40mm RF lens) by René Maly, on Flickr

Barb wire (Canon 40mm RF lens) by René Maly, on Flickr

4M (Canon 40mm RF lens) by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not a bad lens, nice tinkering. And it looks good too!
I am still thinking about mounting a Yashinon 35mm 1.7 (from a Yashica Half Rapid) or a Rollei Triotar (from stuck Tollei B35) on my Nex, but hadn't the guts to screw the camera's open.
But I want a solution with better close focusing.
Still thinking Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Certainly not a bad lens, nice tinkering. And it looks good too!
I am still thinking about mounting a Yashinon 35mm 1.7 (from a Yashica Half Rapid) or a Rollei Triotar (from stuck Tollei B35) on my Nex, but hadn't the guts to screw the camera's open.
But I want a solution with better close focusing.
Still thinking Rolling Eyes

It seems it is pretty hard to get the Yashinon 35mm 1.7 modified. There is no much room to make it focus closer. Take a look at this Chinese link: www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_ya32_17.htm .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
It seems it is pretty hard to get the Yashinon 35mm 1.7 modified. There is no much room to make it focus closer. Take a look at this Chinese link: www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_ya32_17.htm .

Wow, that is an interesting link, thanks Calvin!
My Chinese isn't very good (non existing in fact), and Google translate isn't good in tinkering lenses, but I understand that you are right, not enough space to improve near focusing, except by a diopter in the filterring. Sad
A pity, because it might be a nice lens for APS-C, and the camera's are plenty and absolute.
Too mch hassle to fill cassetes, not enough choise in filmspeed, dictated by the cassettes, for the automatic working shutter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a way to mount the body to M mount, you could use a helicoid adapter to gain closer focus.

I've been looking for a broken Canonet GIII QL-17 for its 40/1.7 lens, I have yet to find a good candidate.

I did just win a Rollei XF 35 with a 40/2.3 lens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

The Olympus Pen half frame lenses (the fixed ones) are superb and not hard to adapt to a NEX as I did with the 2/35. Lots of broken Pens of various models to be had cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice job, it looks made for the NEX. And it's a great lens as well, it's a winner. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your comments!

This lens surprised me, now i regret all the broken cams i have thrown away in the past.... but not to worry, i still have some left!

Half-frame camera lenses are a nice idea, they're really small and compact.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pen F 38/1.8 is a nice little lens for NEX, works great on my NEX-7, one of my favourites from the many lenses I have, I think I do like my Leica M 28 Elmarit v2 more though, but it's 5x what I paid for the 38.