Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 100mm F2.0 LTM on A7R II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Canon 100mm F2.0 LTM on A7R II Reply with quote

The lens. It is not in its original focusing mount:

Flare test:

Samples. Click to enlarge:

My thoughts:
Good sharpness although it is rather old lens, even my copy is not perfect. Good build quality. Color looks nice to me.

Last edited by calvin83 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small looks rather nice Calvin! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 100mm F2.0 LTM on A7R II Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

My thoughts:
Good sharpness although it is rather old lens, even my copy is not perfect. Good build quality. Color looks nice to me.

I would agree with your assessment. CA appears to be very well controlled. I see some of the slightest traces of green CA in a few of your images. A negligible amount. That must have been quite a special lens when new.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results calvin83!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, with this helicoid it can cover the GFX 50S sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank all. Thank You Dog

@cooltouch
Yes. Some CA is visible WO in the last photo. It is minor consider its ago.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An LTM lens on a canon FD to Nex adapter? Just asking

This lens also has a very soft and vintage look to it, imho..... Not trying to be critical, you have turned me on to alot of great glass.... This one just doesnt "pop" to me....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
An LTM lens on a canon FD to Nex adapter? Just asking

This lens also has a very soft and vintage look to it, imho..... Not trying to be critical, you have turned me on to alot of great glass.... This one just doesnt "pop" to me....

LTM lens head + FD focusing mount + canon FD to Nex adapter.

Yes. This lens is has a vintage look on it as you will expect from fast lens from late 50s. Check the last photo for sharpness as it is shot WO. My comment on sharpness is based on comparing lenses made in the same era. Check PebblePlace too if you haven't http://www.pebbleplace.com/reviews/rangefinder/canon_100mm_serenar/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more to show the goods and the bads of this lens. Click for larger photo. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this lens was intended for mostly portraiture style shots, that it does as well as it does in other areas is a bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I think this lens was intended for mostly portraiture style shots, that it does as well as it does in other areas is a bonus.

or work in low light. The F3.5 version would be better for situations where large aperture is not needed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed would make a great portrait lens!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive lens!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin's lens looks like it's the version made for the mirror reflex housing for the Canon rangefinder cameras, which makes it quite an uncommon lens. I still have the LTM rangefinder model but sold my Canonflex R version last year. I think the lens is in many ways superior to the contemporary Leitz 90mm Summicron - it's a lot lighter for one thing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Calvin's lens looks like it's the version made for the mirror reflex housing for the Canon rangefinder cameras, which makes it quite an uncommon lens. I still have the LTM rangefinder model but sold my Canonflex R version last year. I think the lens is in many ways superior to the contemporary Leitz 90mm Summicron - it's a lot lighter for one thing!

My lens comes with the canon focusing adapter R-A with no distance scale. As with the Summicron, i think both lens are excellent of its time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1950's and 60's LTM lenses show best on an M Monochrom or B&W film. The colour always seems "off" to me when these optics are shot on colour sensors or emulsions. This is not, after all, what they were designed for.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most if not all post-war camera lenses are already color corrected. The color correction of them may not be as good as a more modern lens ,though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Most if not all post-war camera lenses are already color corrected. The color correction of them may not be as good as a more modern lens, though.

Indeed, and the colors look "off" because most of us have been using better-corrected and APO optics now for a long time.
We're spoiled.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100/f2 Canon is an interesting lens....I have it with the M39 rangefinder focusing mount. The lens head screws off, and can be mounted on a Canomatic (precursor to the FL and then FD SLR mount)....I believe the 85/1.8 can do the same.

Both the 100 and 85 (and others I suspect) were also release in Canomatic and FL mount, with different barrels and aperture mechanisms.
http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/s56.html

I think these are under-rated lenses....the SLR mount is fairly rare too.

My copy of the 100mm has a typographic error on the beauty ring...it says "Canon Len" not "Lens".

Here's what it looks like:

Here are some pix, shot with a Sony A7 with no post processing (I'd like to think I upload unprocessed so you can see how the lens renders...or...I am lazy?)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Friends

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at these sold listings. It seems this lens gets more love these days.

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few classic Canon lenses that are crazy expensive nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
There are quite a few classic Canon lenses that are crazy expensive nowadays.

Here the list with highest increase in price due to the high demand for cine photographers.

New FD 14mm f/2.8L
FD 24mm f/1.4 S.S.C. Aspherical
New FD 24mm f/1.4L
FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. AL
FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical
FD 85mm f/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical

The price of most FL/LTM lenses are pretty stable in the past due the relatively large supply.

Last edited by calvin83 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:12 pm; edited 3 times in total