Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can someone please help me remove the mount on my lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Can someone please help me remove the mount on my lens? Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I recently acquired a MF Nikkor *ED 180 AIS on the cheap with the intent of modifying the mount for my camera. However... when I removed the screws(5 of them) that fasten the flange, I found that though the flange will lift up(aprox. 1/4 inch), it will not come off entirely.

If I had to describe it, I'd say that there was something holding it there, like a spring or lever on the inside because the resistance is rather progressive like a spring. Though I never forced it or anything.

I've read other posts on people who have changed mounts on Nikkor AIS lenses, but no one seems to of mentioned this type of problem. So I was really hoping someone could help me get past this because I am very weary of putting the lens on a lathe due to material debris and the forces that the chuck and tooling will put on the flange.

John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pulling the mount off at an angle (at various sides). If this does not help, try to see if there is a way to disassemble the lens from other directions. I recall running into the same problem with the Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8, but I don't remember what exactly caused it… Probably a spring-loaded aperture lever getting caught in some slot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Try pulling the mount off at an angle (at various sides). If this does not help, try to see if there is a way to disassemble the lens from other directions. I recall running into the same problem with the Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8, but I don't remember what exactly caused it… Probably a spring-loaded aperture lever getting caught in some slot.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I took it appart again and found that it's the lever that's holding it back. It looks like its attached to the mount but I can't seem to get the screws that hold it.

Did you happen to negotiate this as well in your own disassemblies?
And also, is the lever even necessary in this application?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to update this thread and say that I finally got the mount off.
It turned out that the aperture lever was attached to a ring which was in turn attached to the mount via a rotating ring on bearings.

The entire assembly looks like it was never meant to disassembled from the rear. But... after a little prying and drilling, I was able to remove the screws that held the lever in place without damaging what I needed in the lens.

So for the record...
The Nikkor *ED 180 AIS is not a good candidate for mount modifications for anyone looking for a quick fix.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a bit late now that you got it off, but I think I probably disassembled the lens from the front. In any case I had to take it completely apart to replace the mount (along with manual aperture control) and to clean it up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Well, this is a bit late now that you got it off, but I think I probably disassembled the lens from the front. In any case I had to take it completely apart to replace the mount (along with manual aperture control) and to clean it up.

I'm fairly certain I'll have to clean this lens as well.
So my next question is... how involving is it to disassemble the lens from the front and... what risks are involved? I don't want to mess with alignment related procedures, otherwise, I'll just put the vacuum to it and call it a day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:
how involving is it to disassemble the lens from the front and... what risks are involved? I don't want to mess with alignment related procedures, otherwise, I'll just put the vacuum to it and call it a day.

If you have no particular reason to open it up all the way, I'd say don't. Of course, I don't know that particular lens, but re-adjusting focus is usually necessary after such disassembly. I replaced the mount with M42 so I needed to adjust focus for that anyway, but if you are not doing anything of the sort and already got it disassembled from the rear, then let it be if it works. =)