Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can a Kodak folding Brownie be adapted to EOS?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good idea?
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Stupid
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Adapt everything on Earth to EOS !!!!!!!!!!
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Can a Kodak folding Brownie be adapted to EOS? Reply with quote

(not my pic)

Hello from Maine, USA.

I get a kick out of the Kodak Brownies.

I get a kick out of everything on Earth being adapted to EOS.

So, why not adapt a Brownie to EOS?

The earliest ones were fixed focus, I have one. This could not work (as far as I can tell) but others, like the "folding" Brownie, are manual focus Smile

I only have a "box" Brownie now, fixed focus, just for a knick-knack. But I was thinking of buying a "folding" Brownie - Then cutting it's back with a hole saw or by hand so the diameter of the hole is smaller than the outer flange of an M42 adapter - the Brownie's back would wedge between the M42 adapter and the Canon body, this would secure the Canon to the Brownie in a light proof way. But -

The distance between the Brownie's lens and the Canon's sensor would be greater than the distance between the Brownie's lens and the Brownie's original film position - luckily the folding Brownies have a bellows, so this distance could be compensated for by sliding the Brownie's lens back a bit in it's bellows.

Does this sound like fun to resurrect an old Brownie?

Does this sound stupid?

Does this seem like a terrible thing to do to an old Brownie?

Does it seem like it could work?

Let me know what you think Smile

I like the idea of a "digital back" for such a historically significant, yet mass produced, little camera Smile

Adapt everything on Earth to EOS !!!!

Cheers,
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you find an non-working camera what is hopeless to fix it , fine to take out lens and use it. I can't accept if somebody break a working or nice looking old camera. We should keep them as possible in genuine stage. If we brake them our children has no chance to use them in genuine condition.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think if you find an non-working camera what is hopeless to fix it , fine to take out lens and use it. I can't accept if somebody break a working or nice looking old camera. We should keep them as possible in genuine stage. If we brake them our children has no chance to use them in genuine condition.

I feel the same way.

oh and to the OP, K mount rules the world. it has since 1975 and will continue to do so. you cant topple its bayonet/m42 tower of power. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not difficult, and sometimes interesting.

Several people have taken lenses from old folders like that, and also from box cameras, and mounted them on bellows or other focusing devices for use on DSLR's. Member Viejo specializes in that.

There was something of a fad in Japan to mount (I believe) old Kodak Autographic folding camera ball-bearing shutter lenses on DSLR's. Even I have done this with some lenses from old Ansco and Rochester cameras.

If you can disassemble the lens from the camera. try mounting it on an M42 body cap. On a cheap M42 bellows it should work like any other M42 lens.

Another approach is to mount the entire camera to the DSLR and use the old focusing mechanism. This wouldn't work on a fixed-focus bellows, and may not really be adaptable to front-cell focus types either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria, I would only consider doing it with a manual focus lens. A fixed focus lens wouldn't appeal to me. Thank you for the information, I will Google with it.

All, I agree - it is not good to destroy an otherwise working, or reasonably restorable, old camera. It is historical and should be maintained for future viewing. The idea to buy one that is already broken is a good idea Smile Also cost effective!

Cheers,
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I found that website :

http://www.galactinus.net/vilva/retro/

I see all the images are soft focus, while I do appreciate the art I would prefer to make sharp focus for my own photos. I wonder if that can be done as well?

EDIT : Oh now that's I've wandered around on his site I see that I've already been there many times! He is a brilliant photographer and I would recommend everyone to crawl around his entire website.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand it now!!!

I have a Canon 10d with M42 adapter

I can buy an M42 bellows

I can make (or have my machinist make) a means to mount any lens I come across to the bellows.

I can adjust the bellows so it is the correct distance from sensor to lens Smile

I would find it so interesting to use a 100 year old lens in this way, but it must be a manual focus and adjustable aperture affair I guess.

Thanks all for the info, when I get this project in motion I will post pics Smile

Feel free to make any suggestions for keywords I woudl search eBay for.

Have fun Smile
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Seymore, that's what I had in mind, nice !

Do you find that adjusting the bellows focuses the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I mounted mine on some PVC pipe, on the theory that I could focus by turning the pipe join. Didn't work too well.

Then I mounted it on a proper bellows:

It's not too bad, though not by modern standards necessarily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the other approach
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arkku/864049949/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you guys are the best. Thank you all.

LONG LIVE MANUAL LENSES!

All must join the manual revolution Smile

New fangled lenses are overpriced plastic!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster, regarding "Here's another approach" - the bellows seems more sensible as it can be adjusted, it seems like it coudl accomodate a variety of glass. Just attaching a camera to the front of the dSLR with a short tube seems more limited. I think I will stick with the bellows plan.

In your picture - what is used to attach the old lens to the front of the bellows?

I thought about having my machinist make a plate with a flange on the bottom and a large hole in the middle, this would go in place of the M42 screw mount on the front of the bellows. Then any lens I get I can have it mounted to a similar plate, on center, and simply attach the lens plate to the bellows plate - the bottom of the lens plate would rest on the flange and I could use quick clamps on the sides (or something more elaborate that accomplishes the same thing). I had envisioned thin steel for the plate's material.

I could have a collection of antique lenses in small plates rather than a room full of dismantled cameras.

I like having a machinist friend Smile

Thanks,
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute easiest way to mount old lenses on M42 bellows - the cheap plastic $2 M42 body cap. Just drill the right size hole, and screw, glue, or fix in place with the ring (like a nut) many of these folder lenses have. Its a mini lens-board !.

Once the folder lens is on the cap - its M42 !

This only works for smaller lenses, but should be fine for just about any that come off a folder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method - prime goals being cheap and fast to unmake - has been to wrap a bit of window insulation foam around the rear of the lens, push the lens into an M42 extension tube & tape it on. Seems to work well enough.

I did this with a MF pinhole, thinking I'd get a pinhole zoom. Well, sort of. Will need more investigation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a clever idea Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Absolute easiest way to mount old lenses on M42 bellows - the cheap plastic $2 M42 body cap. Just drill the right size hole, and screw, glue, or fix in place with the ring (like a nut) many of these folder lenses have. Its a mini lens-board !.

Once the folder lens is on the cap - its M42 !

This only works for smaller lenses, but should be fine for just about any that come off a folder.

This is absolute perfect ingenuity!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Kodak folding Brownie be adapted to EOS? Reply with quote

spystyle wrote:

(not my pic)

Hello from Maine, USA.

I get a kick out of the Kodak Brownies.

I get a kick out of everything on Earth being adapted to EOS.

So, why not adapt a Brownie to EOS?

The earliest ones were fixed focus, I have one. This could not work (as far as I can tell) but others, like the "folding" Brownie, are manual focus Smile

I only have a "box" Brownie now, fixed focus, just for a knick-knack. But I was thinking of buying a "folding" Brownie - Then cutting it's back with a hole saw or by hand so the diameter of the hole is smaller than the outer flange of an M42 adapter - the Brownie's back would wedge between the M42 adapter and the Canon body, this would secure the Canon to the Brownie in a light proof way. But -

The distance between the Brownie's lens and the Canon's sensor would be greater than the distance between the Brownie's lens and the Brownie's original film position - luckily the folding Brownies have a bellows, so this distance could be compensated for by sliding the Brownie's lens back a bit in it's bellows.

Does this sound like fun to resurrect an old Brownie?

Does this sound stupid?

Does this seem like a terrible thing to do to an old Brownie?

Does it seem like it could work?

Let me know what you think Smile

I like the idea of a "digital back" for such a historically significant, yet mass produced, little camera Smile

Adapt everything on Earth to EOS !!!!

Cheers,
Craig

...and where's the cupholder for the coke???

methinks I'm crazy, too...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!

Klaus and I are crazy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using few of these from last 2 years (thanks for Viejo inspiration)...

Kodak Series III Camera No. 1A folding camera lens mounted on Canon DSLR 350D/Rebel XT. (Vintage Kodak Series III No. 1A: KODAK ANASTIGMAT F5.6 130mm)

"Meniscus Achromat Vest Pocket Kodak" camera lens. The lens is 2-element single group used directly on Canon DSLR 350D.

"Seneca Trio Folding Camera" and used the lens on Canon Rebel XT/350D DSLR.

These are not Kodak brownies but folding camera lenses...

Vintage Friedrich Corygon lens in Compur shutter on Canon 350d/rebelXT.

Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar 50mm f2.9 (2.9/5cm) from old folding camera,

And this is general set-up for these lenses (this particular set-up is for Friedrich Corygon Setup)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the same setup I use, except that I recplaced the bellows with a special helicoid for added stability and useability.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite easy ... I started this kind of lens "hacking" 35 years ago with an Anastigmat Novar 6,3/105 Zeiss from an Ikonta Folding camera , on M-42 bellows My last "hack" was a simple meniscus element from a Kodak six-20 box camera , remounted in an old "destroyed" Industar . I manage to use the diaph and helical mount . Today , I have several "from folding cameras" lenses in 75,100,105,122,135,150 mm , such as : Zeiss Tessar , Novar , Triotar ; Meyer Trioplan , Schneider Xenar , Lacour-Berthiot (the best !), T-22 Lomo , Doppel-anastigmat Citonar ,etc ....with a choice of adapter rings (Aluminium made ) , and spacers and wrecked lenses (mount "cannibalism") . A very pleasant occupation , with astonishing results ! I use often these lenses on a similar "Ballu mount" !
Pvc plumber hardware is convenient , direct tapering in foam is excellent method (No mean of any lathe , even a pakistanese one ...Very Happy )

Kodak meniscus in industar "case":

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/94/3348/1024/IMGP0889.jpg

Lacour-Berthiot symmetrical six elements 6/100mm

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/94/3348/1024/frbsy_06392.jpg

Two among 10000 portrait pics ....

Last edited by Helios on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:39 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceptional photos and a wealth of knowledge - what more could I ask for?

Thank you all Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, what exact cap attaches to the M42 bellows which I will attach the lenses to? I should probably order those caps today. If you tell me the exact name I can search for it.

Cheers,
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plastic body cap in m-42 (see the chinese ebay's vendor, they have all !) , metal is not mandatory , you drill a hole (centered !) and adjust it to the exact diameter of your hacked lens (Four of my "collection" have the same diameter and use the same ring !), then provide a spacer in order to prevent the blocking of the diaph ring , if necessary ; then use the original screw ring and tighten the lens in this mount ... That's all . One cal also use a m39/M42 ring , they are often near the correct diameter to screw this original ring onto it ....
the idea of a plate mount is excellent !
Best job can be made in an aluminium body cap with the exact tapered hole ... (Don't you have a friend equiped with a lathe and mill ? Very Happy )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a machinist buddy Smile

OK, so to recap - I am ordering an M42 bellows, I do not have it in front of me so that's why I asked what cap I will need.

The cap that fits the end of the M42 bellows, which I will attach the "hack" lens - is called "M42 body cap"

So I should serach for M42 body cap on eBay - correct?

Again thanks all. I am happy I will be able to see what my Brownie box camera can do !!! I already modified it for the said rig Smile

No. 2A Brownie* (Kodak) circa 1925, awaiting an M42 body cap :

I was not too wasteful, I have saved all the Brownie's parts so someone else can complete their Brownie. Also I feel this is a very common camera and not a a rare one that should be in a museum.

Anyway, I have owned it for a long time and always wondered what an image through it would look like Smile Soon I'll know. I got it for $10 USD shipped.

Cheers,
Craig

p.s. You mentioned M39 - I have already ordered an M39 thread adapter to fit my M42 chipped adapter Smile

http://www.brownie-camera.com/56.shtml

Last edited by spystyle on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total