Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Camera body restoration help requested.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Camera body restoration help requested. Reply with quote

Hi gents and ladies, I have a collection of manual cameras (Nikon,Canon,Olympus,Konica) that I am interested in a complete cosmetic refurbishment.
As far as I an tell the mechanisms all work pretty much as they should be but I haven't used any electronic calibration equipment so that might be an area I need to look into,but not just yet.
I am looking to get the black paint coating on the bodies into as close as possible to new. I' talking about slight brassing,minor scratches and a loss of patina/gloss that a new one out of the box would have.
I have done a quick web search but I was wondering if anyone here had used and would recommend a service? However, I am aware that this might not be cost effective.
The main reason is I am in possession of a modest set of lovely, mechanical classics that I would like to restore to their original condition.
I also will be owning two motor drives for Canon F1 and Nikon F2 soon and these are a little scuffed and could do with a touch up.
Failing any cost effective repairer,is there a paint marker that could touch up the paint losses and a polish to restore the sheen, maybe something equivalent to T-Cut perhaps?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touching up the paint to original finish standard would be difficult. Camera's will probably have been sprayed with enamel paint then baked to harden the paint. Getting a similar finish with a brush is very difficult. And a bigger problem is matching the paint to get the same gloss / satin / matt finish.

For small paint repairs I use the Tamiya acrylic model paint in the 10ml jars. I use x-18 Semi gloss black and XF-1 Flat black and the thinners for the paint. With a tiny artists brush apply as little of the best matching paint as possible to the unpainted mark. Then as it dries I lick my finger and gently rub the paint as it hardens. This flattens the brush marks and spreads a very thin layer of paint around the mark on top of the original paint. It also dulls the gloss, which with a bit of practice enables you to match it closely to the original paint. If you make it too matt, wipe with a bit of thinners on your finger. If the repair needs flatting after it's hardened use a tiny smear of toothpaste on a pencil eraser and rub very gently.

Hobbycraft sell the paint, and of course Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-Acrylic-Mini-XF-1-Black/dp/B000BX230G/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_21_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CK08PV438K2C4EGDY6KK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top covers and bottom plates are usually easily removable, so one could find a service to do the powder painting for them. Problem is that this paints over also the texts, so you had to somehow mask them yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for replying, I think I'll try Lloydys suggestion first as I want to keep costs down but these old jewels deserve a bit of attention to keep them looking their best.