Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CA problem - expert advice please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: CA problem - expert advice please Reply with quote

I have a friend who is asking about fringing on a defective efs 17-55mm f.28 IS USM. She sent it back to the company for replacement and they now say they have repaired it and want to send it back. Here is the problem:

"I wish it had just been my high expectations. Unfortunately, it was also showing up at the f10+ range - even at 14 and 16. If there's anything white: shirt collars, whiteboard isolations (with no lighting on the white board and in the shade!), and absolutely anything and everything with a sky in it. The worst was when one green leaf overlapped another green leaf, and there was fringing along the edge of the front leaf.

Quite honestly the CA was far far worse than on my crappy 18-55mm kit lens. And so much that it made the lens impractical because post processing to fix the problems was too lengthy.

I'd checked it out with the other photogs because I wasn't sure myself, and there was agreement (based on the images shown) that it was a duff copy."

She wants to know:
A) could a lens like this have something wrong with it that needs a straightforward repair, or does it have to be replaced?
B) If a repairable fault could cause this, what would need to be done to put it right, so she can ask the shop what they did to it and find out if they are just messing about or might really have fixed it.

It costs her a lot in postage so she doesn't want to get it back and find it needs to be sent back yet again.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some image samples?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask her to provide some.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a misaligned/poorly centered group. Has the lens ever been dropped, or banged against another in the camera bag? Modern high end AF lenses are very complex, and must use rather delicate mechanics to keep the AF fast and low power - it is easier to throw them out of alignment than an old brass lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if those are 100% crop, it is quite good for a Canon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are 100% crop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

This is an expensive lens. Do not compare it with the kit lens.
It it supposed to be the equivalent of the 24-70 for 1.6X crop cameras.
My Canon 24-70 has never produced CA like in the man's collar...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easy to check whether it is due to a symmetric or asymmetric phenomenon (and force will rarely ever create a symmetric defect) - the CA will generally be about as symmetric as its cause. Only design limitations and assembly flaws, sensor artefacts or a (rare) purely axially offset element will create a strictly radially symmetric CA, i.e. matching juxtaposed seams at each corner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

+1
The lens is not defective, maybe a slightly worse copy of the lens, but overall it's well within the typical CA tolerance of modern Canon autofocus lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, I agree with poilu and Orio, after seeing at a comparison between 18-55 IS and 17-55 IS here (scroll down to middle of page). The 18-55 CA is much worse, but I still see it in 17-55 example. The review also says 'CA in 17-55 is well-controlled'; imho, that means much better controlled than 18-55 (obvious in example), not necessarily in comparison with other lenses. The review also states 'this should be an L-series lens'. Laughing

The lens review also says prone to flare. I wonder if a hood would have helped your friend?

If CA in examples was much worse I would say as Sevo did much more eloquent than me there might be misaligned, incorrect(!), or even a reversed element or group.

Given all that, I think the lens is fine, that the "CA" present in photos is due to lens tendency to flare rather than CA.

When your friend asks repair what was done to the lens to 'fix it', expect to hear 'realigned element/group', 'found improperly seated element', 'tightened auto focus mechanism', or something similar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
poilu wrote:

This is an expensive lens. Do not compare it with the kit lens.
It it supposed to be the equivalent of the 24-70 for 1.6X crop cameras.
My Canon 24-70 has never produced CA like in the man's collar...

The 24-70 is one of their best. This one is still 17mm at the wide end and has the design difficulties associated with that, so I think the 17-40 f4L is a better comparison. This sort of result is why my 17-40 f4 rarely sees the light.

I've passed on the main points to her, thanks for the replies.