Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BW film shots from April 2012
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: BW film shots from April 2012 Reply with quote

Some shots that I like from April, all shot on 35mm BW film, please discuss frankly:

#1 Konica FT-1 + Hexar 3.5/28, Lucky 100SHD film in RO9:

#2 Konica FT-1 + Hexar 3.5/28, Lucky 100SHD film in RO9:

#3 Konica FT-1 + Hexanon 1.4/50, Ilford FP4 in RO9:

#4 Konica FT-1 + Hexanon 1.4/50, Ilford FP4 in RO9:

#5 Konica FT-1 + Hexanon 1.4/50, Ilford FP4 in RO9:

#6 Fujica STX-1 + Fujinon 1.6/55, Lucky 100SHD film in RO9:

#7 Fujica STX-1 + Fujinon 1.6/55, Lucky 100SHD film in RO9:

#8 Fujica STX-1 + Fujinon 1.6/55, Lucky 100SHD film in RO9:

#9 Fujica STX-1 + Fujinon 1.6/55, Lucky 100SHD film in RO9:

#10 Praktica MTL5B + Meyer Primagon 4.5/35, Ilford FP4 in Paterson FX-39

#11 Kiev-II + Jupiter-8 2/50, Fomapan 100 in RO9

#12 Kiev-II + Jupiter-8 2/50, Fomapan 100 in RO9

#13 Kiev-II + Jupiter-8 2/50, Fomapan 100 in RO9

#14 Kiev-II + Jupiter-8 2/50, Fomapan 100 in RO9

#15 Kiev-II + Jupiter-8 2/50, Fomapan 100 in RO9

#16 Konica FT-1 + Hexanon 4/21, Ilford FP4 in RO9:

#17 Konica FT-1 + Hexanon 4/21, Ilford FP4 in RO9:

#18 Konica FT-1 + Hexanon 4/21, Ilford FP4 in RO9:

#19 Konica FT-1 + Hexanon 4/21, Ilford FP4 in RO9:

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule I find it difficult to comment on multiple photos in the same post, espescially this many Smile but here goes anyway Wink

#1 seems to convey a sense of lonliness but incomplete windows on the left bother me a bit.
#2 Again lonliness or emptyness is what I find. strong perpective lines in this one but they lead to half a car Smile Can you tell that things cut in half get my attention Smile
#3 I like this a lot ! Pretty simple but very nice contrast and lighting If I had to nit pic the flowers on the lower right are not quite complete but not enough to grab my attention .
#4 I'm just not into this one. Sad but thats just me. ligh range exceeded the film too far for me.
#5 Fell like I am peeking into the cemetary. I like the texture and contast and the feeling of age.
#6 I like this a lot ! Slightly Orton effect like quality. difficult lighting handled very well in my opinion. Strong lines and framing .
#7 Pigs ! I like this ! I don't get to see them out of doors in this country very often any more.
#8 Not for me Sad not sure why but I would need something travelling on the road for this place to be appealing to me.
#9 This one works better for me than #8. stronger diagonals and better ballance for me.
#10 The subject in this one is unusual enough to hold my attention The lines of the car itself were disjointed to begin with this fits well.
#11 It's nautical, well focused, has nice tonality. I like this Smile
#12 I like the texture and subject. But the bottom is cut off just enough for me to notice. ( Sorry ! It's the first thing I look at in my own photos. And I still have a tendency to do the same thing with some of my rangefinders. )
#13 Like # 11 I like this one. Tonality is shifted towards the darker end but enough hilights to carry it off for me
#14 One of my favorites of the series ! Focus,Tonality and ovrall contrast is very nice for me.
#15 The suns low angle makes it work for me.
#16 I havent decided yet ?
#17 I like this ! pretty contrasty lighting which was handled well. Nice composition and lots of texture.
#18 See comments for #17 although if I really nit pic the car could be just a smidge too centered. And I'm not totally convinced that it is ?
#19 Undecided Wink

That's too many shots to get very specific with but I do like them though Smile
And of course my opinion is purely my own and not to be confused with anything of value Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Erkie! Number of shoots under discussion, I think we will limit to a few, to get critics easier.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Erkie, some great feedback there.

I realise now I totally overdid the number of shots, will remember that for next time.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 1, 14, 15 and 19.

Now for the critique part. Some shots get me all dizzy.
At least on my monitor, I don't have a clue where the focus point is with the pigs and the tree shot. (7&9)

Was it intentional?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were about 50 pigs all moving around constantly so it was a case of shoot a few frames and pick the best one, that big fat one at the back kept trying to mount smaller ones, it was impossible to properly compose. #9 was supposed to be a shallow dof shot with the nearest tree being in focus and the rest receding further into blur, didn't come out as I intended really.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3, 15 and 18.

3. A touch of the Fox Talbots, maybe. A tricky exposure but it works well and the flowers complete the composition for me.

15. A poignant and often photographed subject, but what I really like about your shot is a. the slightly diagonal composition, b. The gradual move out of focus could suggest how memories diminish with time., c. The casting of long shadows "Lest We Forget", d. The crop takes out all the distractions so there is no mistaking the subject matter.

18. I have always liked Moggies and this one, in B&W, gives the scene a certain sadness. The tree above and the flagstones add to the feeling of despair that this is the end for such a fine car.

Also rans =1. 2. and 7.

1 and 2 Urban decay is very hard to photograph in a striking way. I have never had much success with this type of shot and when I see shots I like they seem to have isolated a detail that suggest decay and leaves the imagination to fill in the rest of the picture.

7. In a strange way this shot reminds me of a wedding photograph that featured in a photo mag a year or two ago, where the bride was having a final brief with the bridesmaids The shot was taken from a balcony above and one bridesmaid was looking up at the camera. If only just one pig had looked up at your camera. Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Skida.

Some food would have worked wonders with the pigs I think, they were too busy rooting around, I think they thought i was the farmer come to feed them so they all came over to the corner of the pen. To be honest, I didn't take as much care with that shot as I should as I'd just fallen on my arse down a rocky slope and split my hand open, the pen being at the bottom of the slope and I lost my footing, good job I have a well-padded posterior!

The RAF graves I shot specifically because it was 'Help For Heroes' day. I read the gravestones, they were all boys, the oldest was 24, really sad.

I like Moggies too, there were 7 or 8 of them in this spot along with 4 or 5 MKII Jags, all of them in this condition, sadly. It's a place I want to return to sometime but the guy who lives there is a nasty piece of work, he's on the sex offender's register I found out since so I'm keeping away.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

bravo for being in the front. I agree that there are too many for a single offering. I would also like to see some detail info (exposure/f stop/camera/film). Specific comment:

#4 soft and blown window lighting. I have no idea how to get around the wide range with b+w film.

# 7 focus issue - what f stop were you using?

#9 focus distracting

#12 backdrop distracting - rooftops. I often do exactly the same thing and kick myself later

The others I like sufficiently well to have no comment.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Ian

bravo for being in the front. I agree that there are too many for a single offering. I would also like to see some detail info (exposure/f stop/camera/film). Specific comment:

#4 soft and blown window lighting. I have no idea how to get around the wide range with b+w film.

# 7 focus issue - what f stop were you using?

#9 focus distracting

#12 backdrop distracting - rooftops. I often do exactly the same thing and kick myself later

The others I like sufficiently well to have no comment.

patrickh

Cheers Patrick, I've gone back and added Camera/Lens info, I can't recall apertures and shutter speeds, sadly.

I didn't notice the rooftops in 12 until you mentioned it, well spotted, I could fix that in PP.

9 I like for it's moody look, but I think I messed up the focus.

7 I remember having difficulty focussing, couldn't see the split screen very well, not sure why, it was dark though due to being under the trees you can see in 8.

4 was wide open at f1.4 with Hexanon 1.4/50, not sure exactly where the focus was. I suppose an ND filter could have solved the blown window issue, first time I tried shooting in a church.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert, so I prefer to leave an aesthetic appreciation.:

#1 nice composition.

#17 #18 feeling of desolation , loss and despair.

#19 allways Love trees bording roads.

The last three ones makes me think i will also get my own 21/4 next week and i can't wait.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Hexaddict.

You will love the 4/21, it's a stunning lens, perhaps my favourite lens of all those I own.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to comment, but feel overwhelmed by the number of pictures, so I surrender Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I would love to comment, but feel overwhelmed by the number of pictures, so I surrender Very Happy

Yes, I overdid it! Smile