Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bunch Lake Canyon from Hell
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Bunch Lake Canyon from Hell Reply with quote

Here's some pasted text from a Facebook conversation with a friend about this notoriously difficult canyon:

From facebok:

"Hello xxxxxxx: At Lake Quinault Lodge for a moment. Went up to Bunch Lake via Bunch Canyon yesterday. What an ordeal! Fish jumping in lake. Here's a quickie crapola shot of the 200 foot headwall below the lake, with Bunch Creek sort of 'misting' down rather than its usual full-fledged waterfall. Very low water.

Regarding Bunch Creek Canyon - this was an 'anniversary trip' up that f-ing canyon. Holy Cow! What a BRUSH CRASH! I was last there in the first week of August in 1965, so it was a 50th Anniversary - almost to the day - SWEAT FEST.

I've NEVER seen so many downed logs. I TRIED to stay on the 'interface' between canyon and slope, but was forced to the side time and time again. Lots of short walks on logs 12-15 above the ground, then had to jump down and CRAWL upwards to get under other logs. This repeated itself for the whole route. Crazy! But FUN!

Coming down was NOT any easier, because I had to keep myself from falling into holes so many times, and got myself REALLY scratched up from devil's clubs and various sticks, branches, whips, rock knives, cat-o-nine-tails, witches with brooms, flying thorns, etc. Never again. But wait! There's more! And..what is the "More"? Well, I think that my grandfather and I said "Never again" way back in '65 too...so perhaps I AM just slightly crazed."

Shots of headwall about 1/4 mile below lake inserted. It's actually about 200 feet high and forms a semi-circular amphitheater. Just getting down into this plunge pool area was a brush-crash. Wore jeans for protection in case anyone would wonder why wear jeans on a hike like this.

I spent several hours right in this 'hole' below the headwall. It was much cooler here than in the 90 degree (30C) heat trying to force my way up the canyon.

All images with Contax AX and Zeiss Contax Planar 50/1.4, as well as Tamron SP 17/3.5

No, I wasn't grumpy here - just trying to get into position before the self-timer went off. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Laurence on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great story and great shots again! Inspires me to go out and find some waterfalls. We've had an exceptionally dry summer this year but it's raining now and it's going to rain the whole day tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky on sunday. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Larry! That water and greenery has something mythical!!
Wonderfully captured! Nice "selfie" too Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures!