Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Build your own wrenches to repair cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Build your own wrenches to repair cameras Reply with quote

To be honest, I do prefer to repair cameras than lenses. Lenses are great to fix, but cameras use to be a puzzle with many difficulties, more complex and sometimes not solvable.

Cameras use to need special wrenches to disassemble specific parts.
And with the time, I've reached to the conclusion that the best is making them by oneself as they are needed.

For instance, this time I'm trying to fix the speed dial of a broken Praktica FX3 (that Attila was so kind of sending me, thanks Attila).

The Praktica has the speed dial on top. The first thing to do is to remove the index disk with a standard flat screwdriver.

Then the speed dial is visible, and the cut in the middle where a specific wrench has to be put to unscrew it:

As you can see, the middle part there is a circular hole with two sides (grooves?, don't know the english word for it!):
So we need a special wrench to unscrew it.

We depart from a standard cheap screwdriver wide enough. I use to buy them at a flea market, once I got 10 for 5€. They have to be cheap: the metal is softer and easier to work with it. And we don't plan to do a big force with it, we're talking of delicate cameras...

And then we proceed to work, first filing the central round shape, and then adjusting the sides to fit into the dial. Finally trimming the edge to fit inside.

That's all!

Although this is really basic, someone can find it useful, specially now that standard tools are more difficult/expensive to obtain.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jes for details!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant and very kind of you to share this knowledge...I may never use these instructions...but I am sure others will. Very Happy I have a Pracktica IV FB with that dial. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you Jes for details!

You're welcome, Attila!

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Brilliant and very kind of you to share this knowledge...I may never use these instructions...but I am sure others will. Very Happy I have a Pracktica IV FB with that dial. Very Happy

Thanks, Mo!.

BTW, my daughter and his boyfriend have spent one month in your nice country, they went back past week .
They were traverlling in a van from Perth to the north area and back. I still have to watch the pictures... Smile

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, my daughter and his boyfriend have spent one month in your nice country, they went back past week .
They were traverlling in a van from Perth to the north area and back. I still have to watch the pictures.

They were lucky they have missed the flooding over in Perth...I have not been over to that side of the country.I hope the photos are nice...any good ones ask if you can post them Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, you can think of an answer to every little problem!

Thankyou for being here and have a very Happy Christmas. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Jes, you can think of an answer to every little problem!

Thankyou for being here and have a very Happy Christmas. Smile

Thanks for your kind words, Peter!.

Have you and your family a wonderful Christmas season as well!

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Jes, and yes cameras are fun, that is when you manage to solve the puzzle Smile

Have a nice Christmas!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Nice work Jes, and yes cameras are fun, that is when you manage to solve the puzzle Smile

Have a nice Christmas!

Thanks, Ludoo, have a nice Chritstmas too!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Christmas Jes Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Happy Christmas Jes Very Happy

Merry Christmas for you too Poilu!

Jes.