Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Buhl 6-9" XTRA BRIGHT ZOOM FOR SHARP XG-P20XU 825MCZ900
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Buhl 6-9" XTRA BRIGHT ZOOM FOR SHARP XG-P20XU 825MCZ900 Reply with quote

This monstrosity showed up on ebay.
On camera:
[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20211/big_7980_16095400946431301455898028246874_1.jpg]

[/url]

Adaptation turned out to be easier than I thought. I had just purchased a bower 52mm extension tube set for Canon a650. A short 52mm -52mm tube and a a 52mm to bayonet. The tube on the Buhl that was used to focus was....52mm. Since I was only after the 52mm to 52mm ring I dremeled off the lugs and just enough of the metal that it fit snugly via friction. Then a 52 male male tube an 52 to 42 helical. Various m42 extensions and helical to the flange. The zoom function changes the field of view very little but can be used to help fine tune focus. The helical had so much pressure i had to support the lens and leave the camera body cantilevered. Mostly focus was accomplished by changing camera distance (leaning or even walking)

What it lookedlike out of box.[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20211/big_7980_16095415634293464962198685481886_1.jpg]
The flange and outer tube section came easily out after loosening a thumb screw.
[/url]

Chromatic aberration is terrible. Resolution at infinity is also bad, but for 20 dollars a decent portrait lens.

The push on adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great experience and curious coincidence! In these days I received a brother of yours, Buhl Navitar 2.75-5 projector zoom for Sony Ps-10 which I took out of curiosity. I didn't expect it to be so large and haven't tried to put it on the camera. Your test gives an idea of how it would perform.

I really like the bokeh and some lively touch of the main subjects. Congrats for the find!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiko joined our family as a 6 week old kitten in April. He is a very good hunter having brought home already by the age of 6 months, several rats. Which due to the popularity of backyard chicken coops and there associated food are a bit of a problem in the neighborhood. Unfortunately he has also a few songbirds on his hit list. We try to discourage this as they are delightful backyard companions. He is a frequent target of my photoshoots. Especially for portrait lens tests. He has made the pandemic lockdown much more bearable.

I missed focus on the shot where he is looking over his shoulder. Back focused by a bit. The fur on his side is in focus, not his eyes. It would have been a really good shot if I had nailed that one. The action shots are in better focus but the tree branches I find a bit distracting.