Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bring forth the wonder that is flare!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
#3 is top notch IAZA Like 1 . Thanks for putting it up. It looks like he's steadying himself to jump through it.

thanks man.. he leaned on chair btw.
now Schneider Kreuznach cinelux 62,5/f2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canon fl 35mm 2,5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing it back! I love to see these flare shots and I would love to see more! In my opinion flare is part of these lenses, especially the older lenses with older coatings to no coatings at all. Embrace the flare!

Here is my contribution, Auto Rikenon 35mm f 2.8 sawtooth flare

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful photos and topic! Whoo Turtle

Sorry for the re-runs @mr_tibbs2004 (previously posted on a fuji-x forum we both belong to, perhaps others as well) Laugh 1

Minolta Macro 50mm Rokkor QF

#3, the Larch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: A Schacht Ulm Travenar 90mm Reply with quote

Ahh… so pleased to find this thread, so many beautiful examples of flare! I thought this one was really unusual but turns out there's at least one other lens that does it and it's on page 2, I think!

Rainbow flare by Amy Hoy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super-Takumar 55mm F2 (version 1)
Flare-o-Rama by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is using a star filter allowed?

[img]

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax-A zoom 28-135mm no hood (damaged filter ring)
Flairy Duck by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Flares in Huesca, Spain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two of mine that puzzled me. I assume it must have been the Zuiko 180mm f2.8 I´ve taken them with, and it creates those two little blue bubbles. Blue because of the sky, I assume. Both were taken on film some time in the early nineties, but not in the same year.

I´ll probably retouch them one day, just wanted to show you. And I haven´t managed to reproduce the effect with the lens on a digital body yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar little balls with my Sigma 18mm on a sony digital body.

Here's a whole mess of flare on a stitched image.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I've had similar little balls with my Sigma 18mm on a sony digital body.

Here's a whole mess of flare on a stitched image.

You should post this on DPreview, modern lens perfectionists would go bananas!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like lens aberrations, they can sometimes be put to artistic use. Smile

'Perfect' lenses are boring....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here´s something more palatable from two weeks ago, taken with the Hexanon 21mm f4 at the Mediterranean Sea. Too cold to swim at this time of the year, unfortunately.
And I just want to add, the pictures in this thread are really inspiring.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I like lens aberrations, they can sometimes be put to artistic use. Smile

'Perfect' lenses are boring....

I agree... modern lenses today have somewhat sterile output, no soul in the image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I feel images like this with the imperfections you get with the less than stellar coatings and other shortcomings of a vintage lens have more soul - the sunlight is somehow more visible and characterful than with a modern lens.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more from the Volna 9 today. I was attempting to catch a bee on a flower of the tree, but the wind was blowing just a bit and making things difficult. In the mix I found these two with flare that I thought stood out, because I didn't really nail the focus with any other shots.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that first one Mr Tibbs, well done!

Sunset last night, playing around with a tiny Cosmicar f1.4 25mm C mount lens on my Oly OM-D E-M5.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Excellent examples so far Like 1 small

Perhaps an interesting perspective: whilst photographers generally try to avoid flare, videographers frequently like to use it to very good effect, especially in music videos!

Videos allow for a dynamic effect of flare to be exploited, i.e. the way in which the flare effects transition through the frame as the direction of the light sources change. This behaviour will also be very dependent on the particular lens used.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a background in videography, so that is likely why I like flares so much.

However, J J bloody Abrams has done a lot to destroy the creative use of flares through overuse and being a bloody awful director who killed not one, but two of the all-time great film franchises.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have a background in videography, so that is likely why I like flares so much.

However, J J bloody Abrams has done a lot to destroy the creative use of flares through overuse and being a bloody awful director who killed not one, but two of the all-time great film franchises.

Abrams takes it to the point of it becoming rather annoying, agreed. Personally find its creative use lends itself better to music videos than to cinematic productions.

e.g. in this MV on top of some nice bokeh-shots, you get a multitude of lens flares, anamorphic flares, haze, purple fringing, general loss of contrast etc, but here I think it really works well together with the music and setting:

(if you don't like hard-rock, either turn off the sound, or be ready to become a convert Wink ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FWuMx_pkH4

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, creative use of flare is more suited to things like music videos.

When used well though, a nice flare is a thing of beauty.