Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bracketed Waterfall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Bracketed Waterfall Reply with quote

This little waterfall is quite close to my home, and I plan to visit it a little more.

I even had the thought of propping a ladder against the left side of the falls, to try to get an image of the spray where it rebounds off the little ledge in the middle of the falls. But..of course...I think I've learned my lesson the hard way regarding ladders... Shocked Very Happy

This horrid light situation is a good case for sometimes bracketing your exposures. This was the "one stop over" in a series of 5 brackets! It is the only one that held the shadows but still allowed the spots of sunshine to keep from blowing out.

Anyway, it is a nice little waterfall to have so close, so I wanted to share it. It drains some very nice meadows, and the water is pure and clean and untouched.

Sunspot Falls
Pentax 645
Pentax 55/2.8
Provia 100
f:3.5 and 1/30th

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchanting, solitary and wild, it feels to me like Gauguin's Pape Moe. "Mysterious Waters" (in turn made after a photograph):

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow! GREAT reminiscent memory, Orio! I actually think the old photograph is, as you say, enchanting. I recognize Gauguin's talent, but was never particularly enamored of his works.

The Seattle Art Museum recently showed works by Jan Vermeer, and I was blown away by getting to see the originals! There's nothing like it, to see works of art "live view".

Yes Orio, for being close to home, this waterfall is particularly wild. I frankly never see other people here, although I am sure that it gets visited. The meadows that "catch and release" the waters for this stream are lush from the 14 feet of annual precipitation. Those meadows, because of their propensity to release water sparingly but constantly, are ecological saviours.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Holy cow! GREAT reminiscent memory, Orio! I actually think the old photograph is, as you say, enchanting. I recognize Gauguin's talent, but was never particularly enamored of his works.

Easy reminiscence for me, as I love Gauguin Smile
For exactly the same reason that I love "photographic photographs" - his paintings are "painterly paintings" - not mimicking the job of photography. Not servile (although he had the talent for making reproductive wokr and earn much more than he did). He choosed to be independent and straight forward. No reason to hide I love his life and integrity as much as the artworks.

Laurence wrote:
The Seattle Art Museum recently showed works by Jan Vermeer, and I was blown away by getting to see the originals! There's nothing like it, to see works of art "live view".

Yes, there are painters that really deserve to be seen "alive". Both Gauguin and Vermeer are in the number. For almost opposite reasons if you want. But I love them both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fantastic falls to have near your home. I believe I could spend years getting different shots of it.
If you don’t fancy the ladder how about going down on a rope from the top? When your arm is back in action of course!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the well-watered meadows that are the headwaters of the "waterfall creek". This is in mid-summer, the dry time of the year, so it's these spongy meadows that continue to deliver water to keep things green. On a good clear day, I can just make these openings out with my eyes from home.

"Waterfall" Source Meadows on a Warm August Morning
Zeiss Ercona 6x9
105/3.5 Tessar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots - very green (oh, and I'm a bit 'greenwith envy' over your backyard Wink )