Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Box camera help needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Box camera help needed Reply with quote

Hi folks

I've turned a cardboard box into a rudimentary 8x10 camera to try out a legendary 8x10 lens before I give it back to a friend.

It's 312mm focal length, so what I need to know is this - do i place the film plane 312mm from the back of the lens or 312mm from the iris/vertex of the lens? Assuming infinity focus of course.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distance from the back of the lens to the film plane is the back focal distance which is not the same. The focal distance is from something called the rear nodal point to the film plane and its position depends on the type of lens. If there is an aperture, or slot for stops, that might be a good place to start.
You could use a box within a box and some tracing paper to visually work it out as you build your camera?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to use a sheet of white paper and see where I get a focussed image, like a camera obscura.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you would have know that Ian! You will when you've tried this! Good luck.

oh any caffenol recipes for paper?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it down to f165 and call it a day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got x-ray film and dk-50 to use, or paper and d163 as a backup.

It only stops down to f64 and it's stuck at f22, the aperture needs servicing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I guess I'll have to use a sheet of white paper and see where I get a focussed image, like a camera obscura.

and you get the circle size that way too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Box camera help needed Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hi folks

I've turned a cardboard box into a rudimentary 8x10 camera to try out a legendary 8x10 lens before I give it back to a friend.

It's 312mm focal length, so what I need to know is this - do i place the film plane 312mm from the back of the lens or 312mm from the iris/vertex of the lens? Assuming infinity focus of course.

Hi did you check the inbox? what about the two lenses deal? Wink