Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bought the Bessaflex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Bought the Bessaflex Reply with quote

I took the plunge and finally bought the Silver Bessaflex TM.
It is discounted at Robert White's, 135 pounds instead of 175.
sale ending today.
UPS shipping to Italy is 17 pounds, Should be the same or similar for all Europe.

I'll take it to Budapest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

This surely is a great cam and 135 pounds is a very good price, considering that you get a brand new cam!

I am curious about your experiences and am looking forward to reading your Budapest report.

This is a cam that is on my dream list as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will report soon, the camera will be shipped today with UPS, so I expect it to be here tomorrow or thursday at the latest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, that's a very good price for the Bessaflex. Post some pics of it
when it arrives! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap!!!!!

I succumbed too.... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Snap......

I succumbed too.... Laughing

Thanks to you, Bob, who let me know of the sale. Did you buy the black one then?
I bought the silver one even if I know that there may be a problem with some lenses. But I liked it so much better aesthetically.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Orio, that's a very good price for the Bessaflex. Post some pics of it
when it arrives! Smile

Sure.
Yes it was a good occasion to buy what will probably be the last one brand new M42 camera ever available... unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Orio. That's why I have been thinking about buying one myself. But then, I have a perfect (almost new) Zenit EM (and my Zenit E works fine and Praktica L2 is OK) and thus do not want to spend the money.
You know me, it's me being cheap again. Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio: No problem - I knew you wanted one. It was indeed the black version I bought - like you I'm still waiting on it to arrive.

I must admit to being torn between the two - the silver one is much more "classic" in appearance and for a moment I almost went for it instead.

Apparently there was a limited edition Topcon badged 58mm lens to go with the silver version - Cosina/Voigtlaender got special permission from Topcon to use the 'Topcon' name on it.

@ Carsten: I went for it because other than my 5D, the only other M42 capable camera I have is a Praktica BC-1 and the main problem with it is that the PB-M42 adapter isn't very common and is susceptible to damage. It also only ever came in a version with a rear ring to depress a lens' stop-down pin and as a result some lenses won't fit because the lens rear fouls on the adapter ring - Flek 2.8/35 and Biotar 2/58 are two that come to mind.

Last edited by bob955i on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Apparently there was a limited edition Topcon badged 58mm lens to go with the silver version - Cosina/Voigtlaender got special permission from Topcon to use the 'Topcon' name on it.

I thought it was an old lens - it looks gorgeous!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I saw it:

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtFlexTM.htm

It is indeed a work of art and is probably the main reason I so nearly went for the silver. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, this is a beauty!!! Shocked

@Bob: That's OK, I can totally understand it! I would love to have one myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

@ Carsten: I went for it because other than my 5D, the only other M42 capable camera I have is a Praktica BC-1 and the main problem with it is that the PB-M42 adapter isn't very common and is susceptible to damage. It also only ever came in a version with a rear ring to depress a lens' stop-down pin and as a result some lenses won't fit because the lens rear fouls on the adapter ring - Flek 2.8/35 and Biotar 2/58 are two that come to mind.

I have a couple of working Prakticas but I wanted a brand new M42 camera with a bright viewfinder, because to me M42 lenses are very important. Also, I am not confident that the strange batteries that Prakticas use will still be available for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many film camera do you have already ? 10 or more Smile Congratulation for your new toy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
How many film camera do you have already ? 10 or more Smile Congratulation for your new toy!

Let's see... I have 2 P6, 2 Nikons, 2 Contax-Yashica, 1 Canon, 3 Prakticas, 1 Bessaflex... 11 Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out almost Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...Also, I am not confident that the strange batteries that Prakticas use will still be available for a long time.

That's why I am a fan of my Zenit EM - no batteries! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

how does the light meter work?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Probably uses a selenium cell, accuracy, who knows? My Zeiss Ikon
Contaflex has the cell covered when not in use and is still in pretty
good shape (compared its readings to my Gossen lightmeter.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

There is a tiny Russian nuclear reactor inside.
They say this cam works best with the old, radioactive Yashinons.

Laughing Laughing Wink

No, all jokes aside. There is a selenium cell inside. And since I also cover the metering window matrix, it still works fine. Every now and then I compare it to my well working Fotolux II light meter and to my EOS.
The Zenit EM seems to be very reliable.

Apart from that, the "sunny 16" rule works fine...

Last edited by LucisPictor on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BESSA IS HERE !! Very Happy

Only 24 hours after the order - Robert White ships FAST!
Brand new, it's a beauty!

Photos soon!

Tiny camera, don't know why but I expected a large one, it's tiny and lightweight instead. Little disappointment - I prefer heavy big cameras. But no major hassle.

Good news #1: There is practically no protruding at all of front part. This camera will mount all lenses.

GREAT news: the VIEWFINDER! It's incredibly bright and large! Just as good as my Nikon cameras, which says it all. Focusing is super accurate. It's a thrill to use the M42 lenses with a bright new viewfinder and not a single dust piece inside.

Overall, very happy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's fast indeed!

Congratulations, Orio. It is obvious that you are really happy, I guess we all know this feeling to get a new toy.

Now we are eagerly waiting for the photos.

Do you think you could, before you have the first roll develop, show us some beautiful lenses at your new Bessa?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a "panorama" shot with the Bessa, box, and accessories:

Provided are a neck belt, owner's manual, body cap, and two batteries (one is probably for spare)

Here's a closeup of the Bessa wearing Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Do you think you could, before you have the first roll develop, show us some beautiful lenses at your new Bessa?

Sure, I'll be happy to Very Happy
Will make some photos in the work breaks.

What is the correct prononciation of "Voigtlaender" ?
I can figure the "laender" part but not the "Voigt" part.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Voigtländer" is like...

- "Fohgt" as in Engl. "hot" only as a long vowel (can't think of an Engl. equivalent"
- "Lander" as in (Engl.) "land" and the "-er" as in "player"

So, you don't sound the "i" in there.