Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bought the Bessaflex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

- "Fohgt" as in Engl. "hot" only as a long vowel (can't think of an Engl. equivalent"

"hoat" maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Here's a closeup of the Bessa wearing Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85:

That's a big WOW!!!

What a nice cam. I see you got the silver one with that fantastic mirror box.
And this combination with the Sonnar! WOW!

I guess, I have to come to Italy and visit you, just to ask you if I may shoot some pics with it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

- "Fohgt" as in Engl. "hot" only as a long vowel (can't think of an Engl. equivalent"

"hoat" maybe?

I don't know this word, but I think that's too much like in "boat", there is an [ou] sound in it, but in "Voigt" there is only a long [o].

Ah, now I know an example.
Do you know Shakespeare's Othello?
Traditionally, and politically not correct, he is called a "moor" (a person with dark skin). The original pronunciation of "moor" is almost the vowel sound of "Voigt", in "Voigt" it's just a bit more rounded (lips are further pushed to the front).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I guess, I have to come to Italy and visit you, just to ask you if I may shoot some pics with it!

You can come anytime (when I'm here of course) Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? We live in a multimedia world, so...

Click here: http://www.nicanet.de/foto/voigtlander.wav

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The original pronunciation of "moor" is almost the vowel sound of "Voigt", in "Voigt" it's just a bit more rounded (lips are further pushed to the front).

Ok, I get it now. Thanks Smile

BTW I don't think that moor is politically uncorrect. We call Otello "Il Moro di Venezia" and perceive no problem with it.
We even had a boat with this name that reached the final match of the America's Cup some 15-20 years ago.

In Italian, we also use the adjective "moro" to indicate a person with black hair, regardless of skin. For some reason however this is more used with females than with males (although correct for both).
So for instance Monica Bellucci is a "mora" - when the black haired female is of small size "moretta" is used.
When the hair is not black but brown, we used the words "bruna" or "brunetta" instead.
Bruna and Brunetta are also common female first names ("Bruno" only for males)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that your voice? Nice tone!
You could be a radio speaker. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that´s me. But I don´t know about the radio speaker, I think my voice is a little too high pitched - btw it gets worse when I speak English. Wink

That´s very interesting information about Italian "moro". The Italian language - even if there is not THE Italian language Wink - seems to be fascinating, I should try to learn it. I wanted to start several times, every time when I went to Italy on holiday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought, Voigt=Fought
lander=lender

Like in Handel is Hendel. at least that is what I was told.

Orio, it's a beauty, can't wait to see some pics! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Yep, that´s me. But I don´t know about the radio speaker, I think my voice is a little too high pitched

Oh but that has nothing to do with the timbre - learn to speak with the diaphragm, that's what radio speakers and actors do, that's why their voice seems deeper, it's not really. Wink

Quote:
That´s very interesting information about Italian "moro". The Italian language - even if there is not THE Italian language Wink - seems to be fascinating, I should try to learn it. I wanted to start several times, every time when I went to Italy on holiday.

Well, next time you do, if you see a nice black-haired lady you can call her "ciao, bella mora!" - not granted to work though, she may also slap your face, but you wouldn't know until you try! Laughing
Of course, to do only if your wife is not watching! Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Do you know Shakespeare's Othello?
Traditionally, and politically not correct, he is called a "moor" (a person with dark skin).

I'm not sure this is un-PC Carsten, even though lots of Shakespeare definitely IS. I have always thought of the term "Moor" to refer to someone from Morocco, or perhaps in a wider sense someone of Arab descent. Looking it up I found that the word derives from the Latin "mauri", a name for the Berber tribes living in Roman Mauretania (modern day Algeria and Morocco).

There is a period in Spanish history (711-1492 AD) when part of the country was ruled by the Moors from North Africa, which is always called Moorish Spain, and in English history sailors referred to the northwest coast of Africa as "the Moorish coast".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Is that your voice? Nice tone!
You could be a radio speaker. Smile

Agreed! To spell it in English, the nearest I can come up with is "Foked-lender".

Lovely camera Orio, I'm going green with envy! The slide switch to the side of the lens looks exactly like the ones on my Spotmatics. Does it operate the same way, i.e. do you slide it up to stop down the lens and switch on the meter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Oh but that has nothing to do with the timbre - learn to speak with the diaphragm, that's what radio speakers and actors do, that's why their voice seems deeper, it's not really. Wink

Yes, that's right. I one was trained on that on a rhetorics class.
Now, I am able to do that, but it is not my everyday voice.

Orio wrote:
Well, next time you do, if you see a nice black-haired lady you can call her "ciao, bella mora!" - not granted to work though, she may also slap your face, but you wouldn't know until you try! Laughing
Of course, to do only if your wife is not watching! Wink Laughing

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
... To spell it in English, the nearest I can come up with is "Foked-lender".

Yes, that's a very good idea to put it like that!

Thanks for the information about "moor". Very interesting, Peter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

To spell it in English, the nearest I can come up with is "Foked-lender".

Let's make double sure to spell it correctly then! Laughing

peterqd wrote:
Lovely camera Orio, I'm going green with envy! The slide switch to the side of the lens looks exactly like the ones on my Spotmatics. Does it operate the same way, i.e. do you slide it up to stop down the lens and switch on the meter?

I guess so (don't have Spotmatic), here you can slide it up partially and then release it when done, or you can slide it up all the way to lock it up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes, that's a very good idea to put it like that!
Thanks for the information about "moor". Very interesting, Peter.

I actually knew about the Mauritania thing - my memory unfortunately is not as strong as it used to be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounting the Helios-40 :

Mounting the MIR-10A :

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounting the CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50 :

Mounting the CZJ Sonnar 2.8/200 :

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W-O-W! I'd say you got the Bessie fully kitted-out, there, Orio! That
Helios shot is really something!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beauty!
Great with all the lenses, but I have say that I still like the Rollei Sonnar the best.

Perhaps a Jupiter-21 also would look good...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha , just great Jupi-21 is your new favorite I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy It looks great and offers very good performance. Yes, I like it a lot, Attila. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio:

The Bessie looks great.

Especially with all that splendid glass.... Cool