Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bokeh or not?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Bokeh or not? Reply with quote

So I've just be lambasted on Flickr for describing this photo as Bokeh..

Now that shot on my CZJ Prakticar 50mm f1.8 at f/16 no hood. So I figured that is bokeh and flare..

Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some people think bokeh only exists wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Maybe some people think bokeh only exists wide open.

Yes I suppose some only can see it that way.
@ Gott - does it really matter?
The only person that your photography has to please is yourself. If you are happy with the image then who cares what others think.

As for bokeh - traditionalists might regard it as the out of focus rendering in front of, and behind the subject.
If there is no subject, then it might be simply an out of focus image.
If, however, the aim is to portray an image in an impressionistic manner by deliberately shooting out of focus, then is it really bokeh or interpretive photography?
And to come back to my original thought - does it really matter?
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to call names, but bokeh people are sometimes a little bit special. Not just on Flickr.
It is a research topic devoid of good quantifiable measurements, and thus strong opinions will easily overshadow any valid points.
Even the term 'bokeh' does not seem to be universally agreed upon, as you've just witnessed.

I'd just forget about it and move on.

P.S. There is something about completely defocused images. I have this mental notch in the back of my head to try this from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my mind Bokeh really needs an in-focus portion of the image, but the rules of the Flickr group SHOULD specify what they mean by it.

There are others who use bokeh to mean shallow DOF, if the group is one of these your best option is to simply quite & avoid it completely!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice hexagons!

(you should call them that Smile )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, bokeh only appeared in conversation when valuing how the oof area affected the in-focus subject. Bokeh was a subjective unit of measurement like hot or cold. In simple terms, you could get good bokeh which enhanced the subject or bad bokeh which detracted from it, in your opinion. So, if you didn't have an in-focus subject in the shot, you didn't have a bokeh to value. The picture is simply out of focus, although having said that, some of the great photographers in history used this technique and have become celebrated for it - Julia Margaret Cameron springs to mind. I think your pic is excellent too.

But today, bokeh seems to mean the oof area regardless of any in-focus subject and can be valued on how it looks in itself. We have a popular thread on this site called 'Bokeh only', an utter contradiction in terms for a traditionalist.

So they were wrong. You have changed the feel of a streetscape through careful use of defocus. The affect is measurable, subjectively, as we can also imagine it in focus and decide if it has been made better or worse. I think it is good bokeh, although I don't know what feel you had in mind and whether you feel you achieved it. It looks like you may be getting criticism from traditionalists.

I am a traditionalist concerning bokeh, but I know when I'm out of step with the zeitgeist, so shut-up and plough my own furrow. These changes in terms by a new generation often come around again eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist, I must agree. Language is fungible, words change meaning and you have to let it go. My personal pet peeve was the dilution of the word unique. Traditionally it meant one of a kind. Then people started using it as a synonym for unusual (which is a perfectly cromulent word). Modification could give any level of "unusua"l short of unique. Now we get "It is one of the more unique situations I have encountered" and we have no word that truly means absolutely one of a kind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that isn't bokeh. Back in the day the term didn't exist. What we have here is highlights in defocused image. The highlights are the subject.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. I would agree with others here that a bokeh picture should have a in focus element. But why shuld it? Bokeh didn't exist 20 years ago - or rather nobody actually gave a shit. Now you have Bokeh extremists I'm a member of a facebook group and half the members seem to be obsessed with it and invent ways of exaggerating it.

Your picture, like aidaho's is deliberately defocused, the out of focus highlights are beautiful. A great effort!

Nobody will ever completely agree with each other, its just some knob heads go crazy if you don't think their way. As with everything in life.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps my definition of 'bokeh' has become over simplistic, but I tend to prefer simple definitions over complex ones. To me, 'bokeh' means out of focus highlights. And by 'highlights,' I mean areas of an image that add to its quality.

Being a linguist, I find this whole discussion interesting. There's a similar one going on over at the Pentax Forums in their Mirror Lenses thread. Similar points are being discussed.

[linguist hat]
Any living language is a fluid medium. One of the things that most marks a living language is that change occurs. But there are differences here. This relatively new term has transcended language boundaries. It is a new term, which has scarcely been around -- in English, at least -- for 20 years. A term that involves evaluating photographs in new ways, and it hasn't had time to "settle" yet within any one language. Except, most likely, Japanese. Bokeh is of Japanese origin, coming from the Japanese word boke (kanji 暈け, katakana ボケ, hiragana ぽ け), which means "blur" or "haze."

Because of its newness in English, and I'm guessing other non-Japanese languages as well, my estimation is that its definition hasn't yet moved to any sort of rigid state. Which brings me to the discussion going on here. If we look at the original meaning, the Japanese one, there is reason to claim that a totally blurry print can, in fact, be called 'bokeh.' So, in this context, this image would be bokeh:

Probably my most favorite blurry image, by the way.

We linguists don't proscribe, we describe. That is, we tend not to make and enforce rules, rather we watch how language is actually used and draw our conclusions from that. So, while it might be argued that things are still up in the air, if I had to lay odds on this topic, mine would be in favor of the looser definition, namely that any and all blurry elements of a photo can be considered 'bokeh.'
[/linguist hat]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me highlights are not bokeh; highlights are highlights. Flare is flare. Bloom is bloom. Blur is blur. Bokeh is background unfocused past where anything can be discerned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is one of many (actually too many) examples of the total misunderstanding, or misinterpretation, of the term 'bokeh'. Bokeh is about lenses, not images. The image is just the result of how the lens captures the subject and the way in which the lens captures the subject can be discussed in terms of sharpness, contrast, resolution etc. AND bokeh. There is no such thing as a 'bokeh image'. Any image that has out of focus areas 'may' give some insight into the bokeh of the lens. Out of focus highlights especially but certainly not exclusively.

Anyone who wants to know what bokeh is really about should read the three original articles published in Photo Techniques in 1997. That is where bokeh was introduced to the English speaking world. It was the editor who created the word as the literal translation from the Japanese is 'boke' which would be mispronounced so he added the h to the end.

Scans of the relevant pages from the magazine can be downloaded from...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AD8kuNpvUogMopyb_lAv2ZCG_HFWb8qp

Note: If anyone objects to my copying and distribution of these articles, please let me know. However, I do so only for the reason of education and learning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bokeh or not? Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

Now that shot on my CZJ Prakticar 50mm f1.8 at f/16 no hood. So I figured that is bokeh and flare..

Am I wrong?

lol
Sigh, 'bokeh' is like 'texture'

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/texture
Quote:
tex·ture
/ˈteksCHər/

noun: texture; plural noun: textures

the feel, appearance, or consistency of a surface or a substance.

You wouldn't say this lens is texture or it has no texture(that's impossible), you will say it has texture, but that's vague, we need descriptors to help define it or describe it.
Same with bokeh, A picture isn't bokeh, or doesn't have bokeh(unless the whole image is in focus, because bokeh needs an OOF area).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh
Quote:
In photography, bokeh (/ˈboʊkə/ BOH-kə or /ˈboʊkeɪ/ BOH-kay;
Japanese: [boke]) is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image

Key words: 'aesthetic quality' & 'out-of-focus parts'

So, yeah, congratulations, your picture has bokeh, they have no idea what they're talking about(bokeh=OOF is wrong, W-R-O-N-G wrong.), should you choose to, you can name your picture 'Bokeh'.
Both of you are, IMO, wrong, you for "describing this photo as Bokeh" rathar than saying it has bokeh and then describe it
Now, the way I see it, I'd describe your picture's bokeh as harsh, angular, and hexagonal.

If someone asks you what something feels like, you wouldn't reply "texture".

Re: flare. See ghosting. https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/25572/what-image-quality-characteristics-make-a-lens-good-or-bad/31113

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monopix wrote:

Anyone who wants to know what bokeh is really about should read the three original articles published in Photo Techniques in 1997. That is where bokeh was introduced to the English speaking world.

Thank you sir. The article should be stickied on this site and not lost in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bokeh or not? Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

Am I wrong?

"wrong?" I wouldn't lambast you for being 'wrong', but I would certainly praise you for an excellent image, I really like that a lot.

If the middle car had been in focus, would the cars behind and in front looked the same ( or very similar ) as in your defocused image? If that was the case then then would that satisfy the critics that your image presented the bokeh of the lens?

It's an interesting topic, and I think the bokeh produced by a lens can be presented in an image without a point of focus. When I test a lens in the Churchyard behind my house I use the sun shining on a Holly tree to create small bright highlights that show bubble bokeh, I usually focus on a headstone in the foreground to get an image that has a sharp point and the highlight bokeh. But sometimes the sun isn't quite right, so I don't get the headstone in the image, I just focus short. I still get the same result, I get to see the bokeh.

I like the articles monopix linked to, they have made me think about bokeh in more depth. They are well worth reading.