Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Blue Moon Today
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Blue Moon Today Reply with quote

There is a 2nd full moon this month, called a "Blue Moon" - here shot in reflected UV and
superimposed to a normal light night shot of our castle here.

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and I was planning on taking some pics of it tonight, but it's overcast here. Maybe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that too, it's cause for my wife and I to go out for dinner tonight as we got married on a blue moon!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a saying "..... once in a blue moon" - which means very rarely.
I took this image last night but it isn't blue I'm afraid
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot Oldhand! It's really cool to see the Moon somewhat inverted from the way we get to view it in the Northern Hemisphere.

The clouds finally cleared enough to grab a few shots at 1:15am here. Will be posting some later. Poor conditions the last two nights. Hope tomorrow will be clear and haze free.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Great shot Oldhand! It's really cool to see the Moon somewhat inverted from the way we get to view it in the Northern Hemisphere.

The clouds finally cleared enough to grab a few shots at 1:15am here. Will be posting some later. Poor conditions the last two nights. Hope tomorrow will be clear and haze free.

Gratias.
Yes, we are going out tomorrow night as well - the moon will still be full.
I have the Minolta 8/500 mirror and my son has an 8/600 Sigma
Both lenses are quite capable so it will be interesting to see if we can capture some shots
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus....I like it Very Happy My type of shot.

OH,nice one, I will be out tonight with Sigma 600,Tamron 55b and my Tamron 200-500 f5.6 and hopefully it will be a clear sky.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overcast and miserable down here,good luck Tom I hope your skies are better. Last night while in Canberra it was spectacular...no camera with me.....arghhhh Laughing

Nice blue moon Klaus.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Blue....

bLEU mOON 2 by wNG 555, on Flickr
bLEU mOON by wNG 555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 31A +200f tele-extender @f5.6 (1500mm f11)

Tamron 55BB +200F f8 (1500mm f16)

Sigma 600mm + 2x f8 (1800mm f16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots guys!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
OH

Blue moon are not blue at all, it's just the name they gave to the extra full moon during part of the year (rare every few years, the last was in 2012). If you see some blue, it's due to the post processing (or a bad chemical leak Wink )

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20Bbl wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
OH

Blue moon are not blue at all, it's just the name they gave to the extra full moon during part of the year (rare every few years, the last was in 2012). If you see some blue, it's due to the post processing (or a bad chemical leak Wink )

Nope, mine comes out of the camera in blue!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for this moon ever since I missed out on the first one last month, but on Thursday night it was cloudy and clouds were constantly obscuring the moon, often for quite some time, so I gave up. But Friday night was clear. So I took advantage of it. I had previously set aside an assortment of lenses I wanted to try out on the moon, plus a few that I'd already used to shoot the moon. It came up to a total of 11 configurations. Eight lenses, plus 2x teleconverters to be used on three of them, resulting in eleven total configurations. Earlier today I finally posted a note here, showing the eleven results. You can find it here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/shooting-the-moon-with-11-different-lens-configurations-t72152.html

All in all, I think the vast majority of the lenses I selected did a great job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Michael, great results you got!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results kryss!
Especially like the 31A and matched 2x teleconverter.
The star field is a bonus!

I have the 01F model and it doesn't play well with the 55BB.

A whole lot of contrast in the images of each, how much post-processing was done?