Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Blind opinion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Blind opinion Reply with quote

I would like your blind opinion on two images:

http://www.orio.ws/temp/_MG_3085.jpg

http://www.orio.ws/temp/_MG_3090.jpg

Caution these are large files. You may want to right-click and "save as" rather than viewing directly.

I will not tell you about the lens now. I only say that these are the non-sharpened output of the 5D, converted to JPEG from the original RAW files.

Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
No idea !

But what do you think about what you see? Do you like it, do you see problems, qualities...?

The lens is a standard lens (in the 45-55mm focal lenght range)
The things you see, the most distant (trees on the horizon), first photo, are about 1 km. distance, maybe less, the white house is about 100mt, maybe less in the beginning. Second photo, the tree is about 10-15mt distance, the house about 15-20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second one has more contrast than the first but has more CA in certain areas.

And you need to clean your 5D's sensor - you can see marks at the top right hand corner of the first image and all along the top of the second.

Take a look at the bottom of the sensor and you may see the marks. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed from my "little" photography experience, most of the lenses botched up the leaves... even the modern (I havent used more than few) lenses makes the lines so sharp as pencil drawn picture.
But the second picture is really great exp the way tree leaves are captured. I have seen same characteristics with my CZ Planar 50/1.7 lens. Even wide open the lens was showing that way (as yours).
But again, I havent used many lenses, plus there are lot of third party manufacturer who (to some extent) copied Zeiss and Leica design.
My guess is either CZ Planar or some of its clone...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Second one has more contrast than the first but has more CA in certain areas.

They are the same lens. The shots were taken seconds after each other. I am not sure that the second has more contrast. For sure I overexposed the first one, because some white is burned. Perhaps this is why you feel the second has more contrast.

About the CA in the second shot, where are you seeing it? I see some color bleeding on the balcony, but i am not sure this qualifies as CA - I ask the verdict of the experts here - why do I doubt? Because if you notice, the effect starts only when the background changes. E.G. the white portion of the balcony shows some blue bleeding, but this happens only where as background there is the brown of the fence - when there is the salmon color of the wall, it does not happen. I think that if this was true CA, it should always happen, ain't it? What do the experts say? Also the brown fence shows some orange bleeding where it meets the salmon color wall, but not (or much less) against the white wall. I am not sure how to interpret this effect.
In any case, I judge it very little, because I have to enlarge 300% in order to appreciate it. What do you think? It does not seem of big magnitude.

bob955i wrote:
And you need to clean your 5D's sensor - you can see marks at the top right hand corner of the first image and all along the top of the second.

yeahhh.... I hate that! And this is why I love so much the 400D. The antidust shaker works wonders.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
I have noticed from my "little" photography experience, most of the lenses botched up the leaves... even the modern (I havent used more than few) lenses makes the lines so sharp as pencil drawn picture.
But the second picture is really great exp the way tree leaves are captured. I have seen same characteristics with my CZ Planar 50/1.7 lens. Even wide open the lens was showing that way (as yours).
But again, I havent used many lenses, plus there are lot of third party manufacturer who (to some extent) copied Zeiss and Leica design.
My guess is either CZ Planar or some of its clone...

You are not too far away Wink
But not quite there either. Need some little jump of imagination. Things are not always what they seem... Wink

Last edited by Orio on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it on the brown rail along the balcony - it also extends into the blue window blinds and is the same colour and can be seen in the shadow area of that lip at the bottom of the balcony.

Orangey at the top and blueish at the shadow edge.

Last edited by bob955i on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I see it on the brown rail along the balcony - it also extends into the blue window blinds and is the same colour and can be seen in the shadow area of that lip at the bottom of the balcony.

Yes but if you notice, the white and light grey are similar in density, and the blue line stops where the (darker) salmon wall in the background begins.
I don't know, does CA really appear only where there is much contrast and disappear where the contrast is lower?

Last edited by Orio on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some ca (purple fringing) on the side of the top left window.

Guido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
I see some ca (purple fringing) on the side of the top left window.
Guido

You mean first picture, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really I would like to know this: is it normal that CA appears only where the contrast is high and disappears where it is low?
Or is that bleeding, a different kind of optical phenomenon? Could it be perhaps color information bleeding from the sensor cells that receive it, to the nearby cells?
Does this hypothesis make any sense?

I ask because I remember to have read time ago an article about the different bleeding effects, and that there was only one that was to be called color aberration , while the others were of different nature... but currently, I can not remember which were the differences.

To my memory I can not recall a CA line that stops this way where there is a different background. But I would like to hear what you think about it, on your experience.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about CA/bleeding question. I can see what you mean in the balconies pic 1, and as it's not particularly close the edge I would say it's probably due to these areas being slightly off-focus. It looks to me like you focussed on the farther building.

Can I stick my neck out and say there is also the old problem of moire affecting the balcony railings and the faience tiles on the end of the building on the right.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is a Russian lens. And I don't think you would use anything other than the Planar among German lenses, so I will guess it's an old Nikkor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yashica 635 TLR for which I have the proper Yashinon WA attachment and this device exhibits definite CA on high contrast extreme subject edges etc. at the edges, but improves greatly as you near the centre. This effect is clearly visible if one fits the WA device to the viewing lens of the TLR but as I've not long got it, I haven't had a chance to take any test shots. Colour-wise though, the CA is orange/yellow on the bright side and blue/purple on the dark side. As such, the CA here in my example is definitely optical.

Of course, there's always the question of monitor type and calibration to consider as well....

In any case, the question has to be asked: would these aberrations be noticed on a 300dpi A4 print or an A3 for that matter?

If not, especially for an A3, then there's no problem at all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a strange thing about this lens. If you look at picture one, first row of balconies from the left (the row that has only the wall as the background) you will see that something similar to color aberration goes all around the edged of the fence. It is red in all parts. This looks strange to me as usually color aberration is of one color only on one side.

But the strange things continue, if you look at second row of balconies you will notice the same thing but with a difference: it does happen when the backgruond is the wall, but when the background is the sky, the phenomenon stops. Abruptly. Neatly. Now isn't that strange. I never saw color aberration to do a thing like that.

What's more: color aberration usually happens more on out of focus areas and on the edges of the image. And, as I said, on one side only.
Here, the phenomenon happens on two sides. It happens ni perfectly focused areas. And it happens in the centre of the frame, or anyway, far from the edges.

This is why I would like to hear opinions. I would like to know if I am looking at an unusual form of color aberration, or if it's another optical defect with another name

@ Peter. Yes about the moire. When I was complaining about it I got angry messages from people saying that I should not complain about the moire of the 5D. Some even said it did not exist for them, if not minimally. So in order to avoid continuous polemics I stopped from mentioning the moire in my pictures. But certainly I have not stopped seeing it. I jsut don't mention it anymore and I try to pretend it's not hurting the image.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

When I was complaining about it I got angry messages from people saying that I should not complain about the moire of the 5D.

This happend in a parallel world. Not here Very Happy
The 5D HAS a tendency for that - you're right. You know that, I know that (now). We can live with it. I try to shoot no one in a corduroy coat - thank god they are out of fashion. Very Happy

I'm sorry that I can't contribute anything reasonable to this thread. I see NOTHING. Lens manufacturers would have less concerns about aberrations if everyone would be red-green blind like me.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

I'm sorry that I can't contribute anything reasonable to this thread. I see NOTHING. Lens manufacturers would have less concerns about aberrations if everyone would be red-green blind like me.
Michael

Laughing

By the way, and completely off-topic: was it you who wrote about the chromosome thing etc... well I had a confirmation! (not that the science needed any confirmation from me, LOL!)
I have found out that in fact, my cousin (son of my aunt) is indeed color blind, just like his mother. I never knew of this until a few days ago, when I asked my aunt directly. I remember you (I believe) wrote that he necessarily had to be.
These things always strike me. I have something similar with my allergy. My family doctor said I *must* have gotten it from my mother. But my mother always denied she was allergic. A few days ago she had a bad cold and she went to the hospital for some checks, and the doctor there told her that in addition to the viral thing, she also had a seasonal allergy going on. Much weaker than mine (mine is BAD - I was sick like a dog all day), but it's there.

Moral of the thing (to bring it back to topic somehow): you can escape fungus from a lens, but you can not escape your chromosomes! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the problem is because we can now conveniently look at images on a screen and enlarge them, we're now seeing things that were always there on film using the same lenses, but because of the limited enlargements we were probably doing at the time, we never really noticed.

Now that we have all this technology, our standards are higher and any camera or lens "issues" are quite literally "magnified".

WDYT?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I wonder if the problem is because we can now conveniently look at images on a screen and enlarge them, we're now seeing things that were always there on film using the same lenses, but because of the limited enlargements we were probably doing at the time, we never really noticed.
Now that we have all this technology, our standards are higher and any camera or lens "issues" are quite literally "magnified".
WDYT?

I agree, Bill. We are getting spoiled by the technology.
And we sohuld not be very severe with old lenses: they were build for a world that did not require this kind of high performances.

Yet, there is something strange going on with this lens, and I would like to know what it is, if it's CA or something else. Not that knowing about it will change my life, or the lens performance for that matter, but I am curious.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved message to maintain thread flow

Last edited by bob955i on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I reveal the identity of the lens! Very Happy

It's an old zebra Flektogon 4/50 for Pentacon 6. I got it for about 70 euros about one month ago. Part because I wans't super fast to pay, part because the seller was quite slow to send, and part because the state mail is... well, the state mail... I got the package yesterday.

Well one has what he pays for, of course it's not the MC version and it's also a quite used lens. Mechanically it's ok however - whcih is some kind of a miracle, it's the first flektogon I buy that is perfectly ok mechanically.

I would like to call it "the weirdest normal lens I have". Weird because it's the opposite of a normal lens: it's HUGE, it's slow, and it's quite ugly. Laughing

Of course it is a wide angle in the P6 world so this also explains the Flektogon name.
Not feeling like loading a film in the beast, I tried it with the 5D.

Well it looks decidedly freaky on the 5D - will post a pic tomorrow Laughing

What to say... apart from the strange CA-or-whatever problem, I quite like it. It's reasonably sharp, it is very well corrected in distortion (which does not surprise for a Flek), and yes I agree with the previous comment, it renders much detail but keeps an organic roundness to things that makes it similar to a Planar lens - well it's not a planar, but it comes frmo the same family Wink

You often read that medium format lenses are not as good as 35mm lenses - I don't know, maybe it's true, but I think that this lens is not worse than many 50mm I have. And I would be curious to try another copy, because maybe it may not have the strange bleeding problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And we sohuld not be very severe with old lenses: they were build for a world that did not require this kind of high performances.

Funny thing is, is just how well some of them perform compared with modern lenses - your Flek 20 for example.

I have to admit to having a bit of a laugh when I read posts on some boards bemoaning the distortion of a particular manufacturer's lens and subsequent posts saying that there's nothing you can do about it except fix it in PS.

It's almost as if nothing exists outside AF.

That said, I think it's truly remarkable that a 40 year old design can still, not just cut the mustard, but serve it up to virtually any modern day equivalent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

Funny thing is, is just how well some of them perform compared with modern lenses - your Flek 20 for example.
That said, I think it's truly remarkable that a 40 year old design can still, not just cut the mustard, but serve it up to virtually any modern day equivalent.

Yes, there are things difficult to explain. For instance, how is it that most of today's Canon wideangles are so bad in the corners, while lenses like the Flek were better already 40 years ago.
Canon must have all the best enginieering software and so on - yet they don't seem to manage to make a super wideangle that does not look poor in the corners.
There is a sample picture of a Canon "L" wideangle on no less than Canon's web site, that shows corners that are simply pitiful - and they ask hundreds if not even thousands for the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at a part review of Canon's new 16-35 L II WA zoom on 16:9.net and it's certainly improved. But then at around ?1k, it should be....

To be fair, while we can't realistically expect a zoom, especially a WA one, to massively outperform a prime, you'd think that after 40 years the gap would have closed a bit more than it appears to have.

I had been considering either the 17-40 or 16-35 but after seeing their performance, I'm seriously considering just going down the more cost effective Flek route with the 4/20 and 4/25 as I already have the 2.4/35.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's more: color aberration usually happens more on out of focus areas and on the edges of the image. And, as I said, on one side only.
Here, the phenomenon happens on two sides. It happens ni perfectly focused areas. And it happens in the centre of the frame, or anyway, far from the edges.

This is why I would like to hear opinions. I would like to know if I am looking at an unusual form of color aberration, or if it's another optical defect with another name

HI Orio,

Ca and bloom(fringing) are two different issues. CA happens when a lens can't focus red and blue light at the same point, which must be corrected in all lenses as red and blue don't focus at the same point.

CA looks like there is a small halo of red on one side of any and all objects in the picture and a halo of green or blue on the other side

Fringing/blooming is specific to digital cameras. It occurs in high contrast-opposite color areas such as tree branches against sky, the rail against the sky etc etc.

All digital cameras experience this, it's just the degree of it that is what is in question. CMOS sensors tend to have less than CCDs, large individual sensors tend to have less than small ones.

There are PS actions that get rid of it pretty well if it is bothersome.

Jules