Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Black and White Transparencies - dr5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Black and White Transparencies - dr5 Reply with quote

I'm finding the 6x7 B&W transparencies from dr5 are scanning very well.

dr5 processes black and white print film into transparencies through a proprietary method.

Each type of film comes out a little different.

These are from TXP320 (Tri-X) on the V700. Suggested ISO was 100, rather than 320.

All taken with RB67 Pro-S and 180mm Mamiya-Sekor prime lens.

No adjustments made on these scans.

I'll "work" these images later and post at web size.

Lindsley Pocket Glacier

Steel Creek Basin

Southeast Face of Peak 7154

Crop of 7154

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. The effect on 1 and 3 is really appropriate.
I did not know of this process, every day there's something new to learn !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Fascinating. The effect on 1 and 3 is really appropriate.
I did not know of this process, every day there's something new to learn !

The dr5 process on 35mm black and white film is simply breathtaking.

Orio, this gives you yet another fine venue with your 5D camera scans. Shoot the b&w print film, send to dr5 for transparencies, and then use the 5D on the transparencies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a roll of Agfa Scala film, yet to try, have you ever tried it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have a roll of Agfa Scala film, yet to try, have you ever tried it?

Yes, I used it previous to its discontinuance. I had it processed by the same company that evolved in dr5. VERY good tonalities. My shots themselves were poor, I wished at the time that I had more Scala to find out what a "better" shot would have done.

The folks at dr5 developed a "soup" that effectively gives many types of black and white film the capability to be processed as a transparency. They claim results much better than Scala for many of the film types.

I have some processing coupons, Orio. Go ahead and shoot the Scala, and then send to me, if you want to, as I don't think they are set up for international orders yet. I'll get them processed for you. Would be interesting to see how they come out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence those are truly awesome - way up to your usual very high standard.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are fantastic, the detail is stunning. I have 5 rolls of Scala that I must use now!

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I have some processing coupons, Orio. Go ahead and shoot the Scala, and then send to me, if you want to, as I don't think they are set up for international orders yet. I'll get them processed for you. Would be interesting to see how they come out.

Thanks for the offer Larry Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Laurence those are truly awesome - way up to your usual very high standard.
patrickh

Hey Patrick! Thanks for the compliment. These are not processed, of course, so they are showing the "raw" result of an automatic scan. I plan to work these images up with some sharpening and other tweaks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
These are fantastic, the detail is stunning. I have 5 rolls of Scala that I must use now!
Cheers
Jules

By all means use the Scala, Jules! I would love to see the output and scans from the Scala, especially with your ability to conceive of fantastic compositions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exciting stuff.
These look really amazing!
I went to the website. These guys give the full heads up on what to expect with different films:)
I think I'm gonna love Doctor Five

Here is a quote from the Rollei IR Film review
Jules you I'm sure know this film. I love it even when not used for IR.
Very smooth with super rich blacks.

Quote:
A NEW SPECTACULAR film from MACO/ROLLEI: Is it really an IR film? This film is best used without filters for dr5 use.

Our words can't begin to express how good this new film is! We are touting this film "THE SCALA FILM REPLACEMENT". This film posses exceptional image quality, even better than SCALA. R-IR has an incredible dmax @ 3.8, producing the same stark ortho-type look of scala-film but better tonal range, sharpness and detail. R-IR has also an exceptional exposure latitude, 25iso-400iso. THIS FILM has a moderate dynamic-ranges control by iso change.

IROLLEI IR-400 at normal iso produces a #3 grade contrast. It renders sky darker than normal, almost like TECH-PAN and we suspect this a scientific film type. Developer-1 neutral is a stark neutral tone while developer-2 sepia produces a copper tone.

and here is the link to the "Film Review" page http://www.blackandwhiteslide.com/Filmreview.html