Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biotar 58 f/2 (17 blades) lens hood
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Biotar 58 f/2 (17 blades) lens hood Reply with quote

Hi,
I’m looking for a good lens hood for the Biotar 58 f/2 (17 blades) with 40.5mm filter size.
I haven’t be able to found which one was the original, anyway I found this model on eBay but it’s very expensive for a lens hood.

I also found this one with a very different shape but some sellers say that it good for the Biotar.

Which should I buy to be sure it really helps?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size of sensor will the lens be used with alo91, and what is more important, a match for your lens or best protection from unwanted light?

For example, if you are using an apsc sensor, you may want to look at hoods designed for lenses of around 75mm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use two cameras, a Sony full frame and a fuji apsc, and I would like to use it with both to protect from unwanted light.
If it's necessary I can buy two hood.
how can I understand if a hood is good for a certain focal length?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alo91 wrote:
I usually use two cameras, a Sony full frame and a fuji apsc, and I would like to use it with both to protect from unwanted light.
If it's necessary I can buy two hood.
how can I understand if a hood is good for a certain focal length?

The suitable focal length is often stated on the hood itself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

Thank you for your answer.

Now i just need to figure out what's the best hood for the Biotar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ones with holes are intended for rangefinder cameras

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alo91 wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Thank you for your answer.

Now i just need to figure out what's the best hood for the Biotar.

Well, judging by the lack of replies to your request, and my own vagueness on the subject, it would be great if you could post up what you finally end up with. It would be a help for others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this being advertised. I beliebe it is a former Eastern bloc product

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M49-LENS-HOOD-SHADE-for-CARL-ZEISS-JENA-BIOTAR-PANCOLAR-TESSAR-PRIMOPLAN/133267790015?hash=item1f076118bf:g:Bq4AAOSwd1dd73XQ

It looks a decent substitute to the original.

I have the 2nd version Biotar with an original hood, my hood seems to be a bit a tad taller than this one, not too much though.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleto wrote:
I have the 2nd version Biotar with an original hood, my hood seems to be a bit a tad taller than this one, not too much though.

I should have the same version. Can I ask you a photo of it? I'm curios to understand if there is a way to recognize it, maybe a serial number.

Anyway, I choose to buy a vented lens hood. I know that they should be for rangefinder camera but they are very cheap and I hope they are good as well. I bought it on AliExpress so it will take time to arrive but I will try to do some test when it will arrive.

About the one you suggested, it looks for 49mm filter size by the description while the 2nd version biotar has 40.5m filter size.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="alo91"]
pleto wrote:

Anyway, I choose to buy a vented lens hood. I know that they should be for rangefinder camera but they are very cheap and I hope they are good as well. I bought it on AliExpress so it will take time to arrive but I will try to do some test when it will arrive.

Yep, you'll have to let us know how it performs.