Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessy and now these, Mythical?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessy and now these, Mythical? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, only my second post so bear with me, i'm looking for any info on a couple of enlarger lenses, I've searched and searched to no avail and wonder if they even exist. They are the Vivitar Series 1 50mm f2.5 and the Series 1 80mm f4, there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum, maybe someone can help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessy and now these, Mythical? Reply with quote

SilverPrintMan wrote:
Hi everyone, only my second post so bear with me, i'm looking for any info on a couple of enlarger lenses, I've searched and searched to no avail and wonder if they even exist. They are the Vivitar Series 1 50mm f2.5 and the Series 1 80mm f4, there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum, maybe someone can help.

Are you sure these are Series 1 lenses and not the high end enlarger lens line from vivitar : VHE ?

Please confirm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessy and now these, Mythical? Reply with quote

Hi PBFACTS, that's what I thought, VHE were their top line, probably made by Schneider, possibly Rodenstock. I recently found a second hand book printed in 1980 pictured below in a charity shop all about Vivitar, plenty of information on their lens line up, the original series 1 line up, tx mount lenses etc and all sorts of different products they supplied. The author appears very knowledgeable and informed and I don't think he could have written the book without considerable help or even a commission from Vivitar themselves. On page 113 he discusses their enlarging lenses, see picture 2 below, it continues on the next page to discuss their more mediocre low budget lenses. Were these available or prototypes that never made market, or just plain fantasy!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessy and now these, Mythical? Reply with quote

SilverPrintMan wrote:
. . .
Were these available or prototypes that never made market, or just plain fantasy!

Prototypes, perhaps?

I have no first hand knowledge, SilverPrintMan. But there's another example of a possible phantom lens in The Vivitar Guide.
On page 36 of my (1980) copy of that book, a "17mm f/3.5 Series 1" lens is shown and described. As far as I know, Vivitar didn't sell a 17mm Series 1 lens.

[And for what it's worth, the 17mm Series 1 lens appears to be different from the normal Vivitar 17mm f/3.5 lens which is also listed in the book.]

EDIT: It appears the Series 1 17mm does exist. See this topic:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=79893&sid=2925cc3ef8318a449231e4903d343be1

Last edited by 55 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessy and now these, Mythical? Reply with quote

55 wrote:
SilverPrintMan wrote:
. . .
Were these available or prototypes that never made market, or just plain fantasy!

Prototypes, perhaps?

I have no first hand knowledge, SilverPrintMan. But there's another example of a possible phantom lens in The Vivitar Guide.
On page 36 of my (1980) copy of that book, a "17mm f/3.5 Series 1" lens is shown and described. As far as I know, Vivitar didn't sell a 17mm Series 1 lens.

[And for what it's worth, the 17mm Series 1 lens appears to be different from the normal Vivitar 17mm f/3.5 lens which is also listed in the book.]

I will more assume
    a deal with manufacturer which did not go to term
    or a too much low sales of vhe lenses which killed the planned s1 enlarger line

Remember the "solid cat" 1200/11 planned/documented/advertised but never went to sale

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessy and now these, Mythical? Reply with quote

55 wrote:
. . .
As far as I know, Vivitar didn't sell a 17mm Series 1 lens. . .

It seems I was mistaken. See this topic:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=79893&sid=2925cc3ef8318a449231e4903d343be1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessy and now these, Mythical? Reply with quote

55 wrote:
55 wrote:
. . .
As far as I know, Vivitar didn't sell a 17mm Series 1 lens. . .

It seems I was mistaken. See this topic:

Funny - I came across the 17mm and my first thought was to put it out to this forum. I didn't read on any of the other current threads. Today I popped on to actually browse and see this thread about these Series 1 enlarger lenses. Having been keeping an eye on eBay for Vivitar Series 1 lenses for several years now...almost daily (I have an addiction...) I have never seen the enlarger lenses you speak of. But then I had never seen the 17mm wide angle until my post. So I'd be lying if I said there's no such thing. Perhaps they are out there if even in extremely few numbers?