Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best way to use automatic Exakta lenses on digital?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Best way to use automatic Exakta lenses on digital? Reply with quote

I've just recently got my first lens with Exakta automatic aperture mount, i.e. the one with a shutter release button. I am wondering how people stop down such lenses on a digital body.

1. Keep pressing the shutter with left hand. (not very convenience for me Confused )
2. Use a shutter release cable. Lock it in bulb mode and let the cable hanging out. Rolling Eyes
3. Machine a screw to press down the shutter. (or is it available to purchase somewhere?)
4. Hold the shutter down with a rubber band. (not elegant but works Embarassed )
5. A, hopefully reversible, mod.?
6. A better way which I am about to learn. Thanks! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most of Exakta mount shutter button can be locked by rotating when you press the shutter,
so that you can use the the aperture ring to close down. i.e. you can use closing down method,
you don't need to invent your mechanical thingies I hope.

Last edited by koji on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these Exakta lenses with "arms" have a mode whereby one can lock the button/mechanism in a stopped down position - call it the Exakta "A/M" switch, analogous to the same on M42 lenses.
Not all of them have this, but most that I have seen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the brand, old Schneider automatics you twist the button, later ones there is a little lever to the side of the button. CZJ automatics you push the button in and then twist it to lock. Meyer lenses like the domiplan are auto only. I'm not familiar with the Steinheils and only have a semi-automatic Schacht, but I'd guess they have similar features.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exakta lenses was my favorite ones on Olympus E-1 , camera had split screen isntalled and to focus had to use wide open lenses, press bulb was convient to focus and press button before shutter releases I did use Carl Zeiss Jena lenses , was pleasant to use. If you not like follow Koji suggestion they will work as normal lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning the knob, of course! So easy it makes that rubber band looked even more stupid. Very Happy

Thank you gentlemen, you have just prevented me from walking around with a cable dangling down my pants. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Exakta lenses was my favorite ones on Olympus E-1 , camera had split screen isntalled and to focus had to use wide open lenses, press bulb was convient to focus and press button before shutter releases I did use Carl Zeiss Jena lenses , was pleasant to use. If you not like follow Koji suggestion they will work as normal lenses.

+1 Attila

I too find the Exakta shutter button on the lens arm very convenient as a stop down lever - especially when using Exakta lenses on the NEX. Focus wide open, press the Exakta button down with the left hand just before exposure to stop down to shooting aperture, and use your right hand to fire the NEX shutter.

Paul