Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best way to stick down aperture coupling lever on M42 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Best way to stick down aperture coupling lever on M42 lens? Reply with quote

Found an old 50mm in the attic. The aperture ring doesn't work unless a pin on the rear end of the lens is pressed in. There's nothing to press it in on a dSLR: so what's the best way of sticking it down?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, what camera do you intend to mount it onto? Some DSLR's aren't set up (Nikon for example) with enough mount-to-sensor register to be able to focus to infinity with these lenses.

If I were to mount this on my Canon, for example, there's a couple of ways.

First find out, BE SURE, of what the lens is worth, and whether you want to "ruin" it and lower it's value.

If that is OK, then what I do is simply gently bend the pin with a pair of needle nose pliers, and push it into the mount.

If you do NOT want to ruin the lens for value, search ebay for an adapter with a built in stop. Some of these are no more expensive that the type without.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what camera you're mounting it on but the basics should be the same as this guide I found a while back for Pentax mounts, spares you ruining your lenses.

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?M42_auto_adapter_Pentax_PK.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way that I've done with some of my lenses is dripping a drop of super glue on the pin and press it down for 1-2 minutes, it's worked but the pin will be permanently fixed with its rear cover.

Another way, tear down the rear cover and use a cheap ball pen refill tube, cut it and put it into the pin as in the picture.

I've done both ways with my Domiplan, Helios, Yashica DS, CZJ (Zebra)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/platimaq/1262614411/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens in question is a very cheap Autoflex 50mm f2.8 which I got with my Chinon CS camera. Nothing special at all - but I thought it'd be nice for those LOMO-like shots occasionally. So, I'm just going to find my pliers and push the pin in...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
The lens in question is a very cheap Autoflex 50mm f2.8 which I got with my Chinon CS camera. Nothing special at all - but I thought it'd be nice for those LOMO-like shots occasionally. So, I'm just going to find my pliers and push the pin in...

I detest the idea of deliberately causing permanent damage to any lens, good or bad!

According to this website, the standard lens on the CS has an Auto-Manual switch. In manual mode this keeps the diaphragm stopped down. Are you sure this lens hasn't got this switch?

If not, then if you're using it on a Canon EOS camera you can use the type of M42 adapter with a flange that keeps the pin pressed. If it's a Pentax dSLR, the M42 adapter won't press the pin in. I don't know about other mounts.

If all else fails you can wedge the pin or the lever inside with something small which can be removed later.

Someone will be able to advise you better if you let us know what camera you want to use this lens on.
[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should have said - I'm mounting the lens onto an Olympus E-1. The pin is pushed in now, presumably making an almost worthless lens completely worthless...