Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best way to put film to digital ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Best way to put film to digital ? Reply with quote

Seems I will shoot some roll with film cameras. Photo lab has an option to scan film. Is it good enough to publish the result in large size ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to put film to digital ? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Seems I will shoot some roll with film cameras. Photo lab has an option to scan film. Is it good enough to publish the result in large size ?

'Publish' ? If you mean to the Web, Yes ample. If you mean any other type of Publish No. I will be OK for Fair to Good 7 x 5 inch photo prints. If you are talking about MF film then a 10 x 8, even a 12 x 10 may be OK.
My film scanning days have been done but IMHO the best way to do a few qulity scans is to have 12 x 10 hand printed prints done and scan them. The alternative is to spend a lot of time learning how to do it and a lot of money buying a good scanner. Even then your results may be the noise filled examples often seen on the web. And thats web size. Imagine a print!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, scanning negatives or slides needs a good equipment and esp. with negatives it's not easy.
My local lab scans my film rolls with about 3 MPix and a pretty good quality. That's really OK for small prints and the Internet. For larger prints I would use the negative.