Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best mirrorless camera to use old manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Best mirrorless camera to use old manual lenses Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Nikon D600. I understand there are some problems with the Nikon mount when it comes to using the lenses mentioned in this forum (those with exotic mouts: M42, Altix, Exa etc.).

So, provided I am ready to invest in a mirrorless camera, which one is best suited in your opinion?

Personally I like Fuji cameras.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is not a deciding factor there is only one mirrorless camera if you ask me: the Sony A7.

Takes all lenses with simple and cheap adapters and it has a full frame sensor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7, A7II (stabilized body) if you can afford it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Sony A7/A7II. E-mount, with the shortest back-flange dimension in mirrorless cameras, adapts to the widest range of legacy lenses.

Beyond adaptability, the EVF, sensor and firmware are all at the top of the mirrorless range.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7 all the way.
Everything goes on there and if it doesn't then find a way. Smile
A7 II would be nicer tho.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This camera would also offer focus peaking, which is very handy with mf lenses. Correct?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
This camera would also offer focus peaking, which is very handy with mf lenses. Correct?

Yes. Focus peaking and Focus Magnification.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for A7/A7 II, but don't exclude fuji X-T1. It's not full frame allright, but the viewfinder is much better than Sony's, so big that you don't even need to magnifiy the view to focus perfectly where you want. And it gives you a mode where you have a small magnification window next to your image, it's awesome for manual lenses. And I found the Fuji focus peaking better than Sony, slightly more precise.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the Sony A7 series of cameras is best as it can take almost every lens ever produced to use for digital photography. However, you also should be aware that, though the lenses fit all physically, there are some known incompatibilities with certain kind of RF lenses which may lead to some unwanted artifacts in the final pictures. However, most of them are removable during PP and not many lenses are known so far anyway.
So it's finally also a question of personal taste what somebody considers to be best or not.
All what I try to say is that there is no perfect camera which will suite everybody's needs and tastes.

The most important question which you should answer yourself is whether the change from an optical to an electronic view finder is something what you really like. I still prefer the use of an optical VF for certain circumstances. So the question is also if you want to replace your existing SLR or just add a mirrorless to your collection for the additional use of MF lenses. I prefer to have both for different tasks for instance. Luckily I have no Nikon but a Sony FF SLR which is able to take at least all M42 MF lenses too.

Finally the look and feel is very important. So you should in any case try any candidate physically in advance before you buy.

It's a hard decision anyway. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A7 ( or II ) is probably the best choice. Good glass will shine with it. Be prudent regarding the opinions about legacy lenses on internet. Many of them are still besed on cropped sensor. UWA and WA should especially be selected with care .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Sony A7 ( or II ) is probably the best choice. Good glass will shine with it. Be prudent regarding the opinions about legacy lenses on internet. Many of them are still besed on cropped sensor. UWA and WA should especially be selected with care .

Agreed.. anything wider than 28mm I would do a lot of research on before considering a purchase. For WA I use a Canon 17-40L and it does a good job. If you happen to already have some WA legacy glass, I'd suggest the A7s. It seems to do better with color-shift and corner-smearing, especially with RF glass.

The recently announced a7rII has a change in the sensor (BSI) which is supposed to help with this as well, though how much of it is just marketing and how much is actually real has yet to be seen.

IMO, the best setup is a combination of a7s + one of the stabilized bodies (A7ii / A7rII). The a7s works really well with the slower older glass due to its fantastic high ISO capabilities and its lower resolution and larger photosites helps with some of the older glass that may not have the resolving power of some of today's best lenses. The stabilization on the A7ii really does a great job as you start to get into the telephoto area, though for most manual lenses you do have to set the focal length of the lens in camera. A minor nuisance for a very big benefit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirrorless Sony has one major disadvantage - it has not optical viewfinder
did not pass the exam!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7 series are for sure an excellent choice for adapted manual lenses, especially the A7s that is better for wide angles RF lenses (if it is only for SLR lenses, A7 would probably be a better choice).
BUT, in other brand and format there are premium choices too.
Olympus, E-M5, E-M1 or in a "RF style" E-P5 give lot of pleasure with manual lenses. The viewfinder of the E-P5/E-M1 offer slightly better image than the A7. The fabulous 5 axis stabilisation (A7II and A7rII has one too but for much more money at this day). Better in body-JPG. Of course there is a crop factor (x2) but the good news is that exclude the corners...

I've got those two types, a Sony A7s and an E-P5. The first for 50mm, wide angles and low light. The second for above 50mm or an AF 17mm (=35mm in FF) and "every days photography", at work to exchange with my customers and at home (also to go underwater with an housing).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the A7 series, I thought I'd just pass along some info that came to light in another forum when a similar question was asked (best mirrorless?). A few of the respondents pointed out that the A7's shutter is loud and carries quite a bit of vibration with it. I don't have an A7, so I cannot personally verify this, but perhaps some others here who own one might wish to comment about the A7's shutter in this regard.

And if it is loud and makes the camera bounce, I wonder if Sony addressed this issue with the A7II.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the shutter is a problem, I resolved it with the A7s and it's electronic shutter option Smile
I forgot about Olympus, better focus peaking than Sony, more usefull.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Regarding the A7 series, I thought I'd just pass along some info that came to light in another forum when a similar question was asked (best mirrorless?). A few of the respondents pointed out that the A7's shutter is loud and carries quite a bit of vibration with it. I don't have an A7, so I cannot personally verify this, but perhaps some others here who own one might wish to comment about the A7's shutter in this regard.

And if it is loud and makes the camera bounce, I wonder if Sony addressed this issue with the A7II.

The A7 is fine as it has electronic first curtain shutter. On the other hand, the A7R does not has electronic first curtain shutter which make it suffer from shutter shock. You can find more info in the links below.
http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4808
http://blog.kasson.com/?p=5080

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

The A7 is fine as it has electronic first curtain shutter. On the other hand, the A7R does not has electronic first curtain shutter which make it suffer from shutter shock. You can find more info in the links below.
http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4808
http://blog.kasson.com/?p=5080

A BLOG of a retired Electrical Engineer and Photographer, what a great combination, same as me Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by kds315* on Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with A7s, and if on budget, with Pentax Q. The latest allows to use superfast F0.75-0.95 X-Ray machine lenses, which are unusable even on A7.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
I'd go with A7s, and if on budget, with Pentax Q. The latest allows to use superfast F0.75-0.95 X-Ray machine lenses, which are unusable even on A7.

Could you show some results of that please?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technologically, it is more or less indisputable that the Sony A7(r)II is superior. Full frame sensor, 5-axis IBIS, ... so very likely, at least if you have the funds, a Sony would be the best choice.

There are a few relatively minor considerations which might speak in favor of a Fuji camera instead:

• The film simulation modes (in-camera color/rendering for JPEGs) are widely praised, and go well with film-camera lenses. However, I haven't personally looked at Sony cameras' output, so all I can reliably say is that I personally like the Fujis' a lot, and the consensus opinion on the internet also seems to be that Fuji does it much better. If you mostly want to shoot RAW and post-process, or even prefer the Sony's output, then this won't be an issue. (I personally find post-processing tedious in the extreme and never do it, so the good in-camera processing of the Fuji is very important to me.)

• The controls and styling of Fuji cameras are also much more "retro", which again go well with lenses which are actually from the bygone era which the modern Fuji cameras are trying to emulate. I also personally like these controls much better than PASM in general (though I haven't tried an A7 in particular).

• There are some lenses which were designed for smaller formats, and which therefore work better on APS-C than full frame (either the image circle doesn't even cover the sensor, or image quality gets much worse toward the edges). It should be noted that there are much fewer of these than of full-frame lenses. Most notable among them are the Olympus Pen-F lenses, but there are a few scattered others. The 40/1.4 Zuiko, for example, happens to be my favorite lens. Of course, you can still use these with a full-frame camera and just crop the images, at some potential cost in resolution (depending on which camera you have).

• For similar reasons, telephoto lenses are more "efficient" on a crop sensor. If I want the reach a 135mm lens gives me on a Fuji, on an A7 I'd have to use a 200mm lens, which is much bigger. Likewise, for the reach of a 200mm, I'd need a much bigger 300mm lens. Again though, you can just crop the image from a full-frame camera to get the same effect as if it were APS-C, at a resolution cost. I'll expand on this below. And this is of course counterbalanced by the fact that wide-angle lenses are much more efficient on a full-frame sensor: a 28mm lens on an A7 has a wider angle of view than a 20mm on a Fuji! (That said, you can also get a Speed Booster for the Fuji to recover very nearly the same angle of view as a full-frame sensor, but it's expensive, and might have a negative impact on image quality.)

A full frame sensor is 36 x 24mm = 864mm^2. A Fuji APS-C sensor is 23.6mm x 15.6mm = 368.16mm^2. This means a Fuji sensor has 42.61% of the area of a Sony sensor. A Fuji sensor is 16.3MP. If you crop a Sony sensor to APS-C, here is how much resolution you are left with:

• A7s (12.2MP) -> 5.2MP
  • A7, A7II (24.3MP) -> 10.35MP
  • A7r (36.4MP) -> 15.5MP
  • A7rII (42.4MP) -> 18.1MP

So if you buy an A7r or A7rII, even after cropping you'll have almost as much or even more resolution than a Fuji, making the last two points completely moot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read some of the disadvantages here again about the A7 regarding wide angles and loud shutter I just wanted to mention my most favorite mirrorless camera for old MF lenses, especially RF ones: Ricoh GXR-M.
It's purely designed for the use with MF RF lenses but can take almost every SLR lens as well.
There is no issue whatsoever with wide angles and the shutter is alternatively also switchable to 100% noiseless (electronic mode) and also the mechanic shutter is nearly noiseless.
The only "disadvantage" compared to the A7 is the APS-C sensor but that is not as important for me as I have a FF DSLR additionally anyway. For tele use it may also be seen as advantage. Depends as always on the personal preferences.
However, as I have a full set of RF lenses from 12 to 135mm I am also rather fine on the ultra wide part of the game as I consider the FOV of 18mm of the excellent CV12mm lens as good enough.
A major advantage of the use of this combination (GXR-M and RF lenses) is the rather small size compared to any other combination with SLR lenses and especially the ultra wide angle RF lenses are causing the biggest problems on the A7.
Additionally the GXR-M has some features which you barely will find in any other camera like e.g. the possibility to register all lenses manually for the direct display in the EXIF information. Also the way how the focus aid is designed is at least for my personal taste the best. Also the lack of the low-pass or blur filter for better details is something to mention as only the A7R/36MP does have this feature too.
Just to complete the overall picture.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valjo wrote:
did not pass the exam!

This is such a laughable silly comment that I just hope you are trying to troll here and not really that you believe this.
EVF offers so many more PROs vs Cons compared to OVF that is not even worth discussing it.

In any case, back to the serious discussion. I agree with the A7/A7ii. While I kept my NEX-6 when the A7 came out, I finally upgraded when the A7ii to came out. Having FF and stabilized lenses for all my Canon FD collection was just what I always wanted.
Of course for zooms you would have to change the IBS settings as you zoom in and out so for those, I will either get an Emount lens or Canon EF or A-Mount adapter so that the camera can read the focus distance and length and adjust the IBS settings on its own.
Whenever I shoot with my Canon FD 400mm F4.5 handheld and can lower the shutter speeds beyond what any human can do without aid...it just feels so good! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaolin95 wrote:
valjo wrote:
did not pass the exam!

This is such a laughable silly comment that I just hope you are trying to troll here and not really that you believe this.
EVF offers so many more PROs vs Cons compared to OVF that is not even worth discussing it.

Why do you consider this comment as "silly"?

I too have a preference for optical view finders over the electronic ones and I am even considering to buy a Visoflex viewer for my Ricoh which would improve the control of the depth of field when shooting e.g. macro in combination with bellows dramatically for my taste. I also enjoy the use of my Pentax K20D which I equipped with a rather expensive special split focus screen for better control when shooting with MF lenses same as in the old film times. Maybe it plays also a certain role whether you used already MF film SLR for several decades as I did.
So it's not silly at all and in the very end also a matter of personal taste and preferences.
I know some other people too who still prefer the use of an optical over an electronic view finder. Nothing to argue about.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thank you to everybody for your useful tips.

I'll consider Sony A7 but to be honest I'd prefer to go for the Fuji, if not else for price reasons.

However I have some additional questions here:
- which Fuji camera would you recommend?
- which adapters would not be available for the X (Fuji) mount, which are available for the Sony cameras?
- would all my Nikkor Ai(s) lens work fine on the X mount?
- if you are a Fuji shooter, please share what are the cons in your view

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main points are that the X-E1 is the cheapest, the X-E2 has faster operation, a faster EVF refresh rate especially in low light, newer firmware, and the split-screen focusing aid (using the sensor's phase detect pixels), and in addition to those, the X-T1 also has a considerably larger viewfinder (with the ability to view both the full image and a magnified part of it at the same time, which I imagine could be very useful).

I myself have an X-E1. The biggest day-to-day complaint I have is that, after taking a shot, it takes an excruciatingly long time for the button that turns on EVF magnification to start working again - I haven't measured it, but probably a full second or two. (I usually futilely press the button 3 to 5 times in this interval before it finally registers.) This is really, really annoying if I want to take a quick shot and then adjust focus for the next shot. I assume this is fixed in the later models. I've also found the focus peaking to be completely useless (way too imprecise to be of any help) and have turned it off; I don't know if other cameras do it better. For what it's worth (maybe because I've never tried a good implementation), I don't really miss it.

I don't have concrete information, but I would be surprised if there are any adapters for one mount which aren't available for the other (given that both are mirrorless cameras with very similar register distances).

I'm pretty sure all manual Nikon SLR lenses should work perfectly well on either.