Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best MF28mm f2 lens for A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Best MF28mm f2 lens for A7 Reply with quote

Hey everyone! i've been lurking on this forum for quite some time reading different threads and finally decided to create an account because i need some advice on what lens i should go with.
What im looking for is a 28mm f2 lens for around 100-200$ that is usable and good at f2 in the center (dont care to much about corner performance). Which lens do you guys think would work the best for me?
the ones i've been looking at is
Olympus zuiko 28mm f2
kiron/vivtar 28mm f2

Is there any other lenses that would be better?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the olympus 28mm f2, usable wide open
i also got the vivitar 24mm f2, very very glowy wide open, at 2.8 become normal. I don't know if the 28mm do the same

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon nFD 28/2.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do own the follwing 28mm f2 lenses:

* Canon new FD 2/28mm
* Kiron 2/28mm (don't know the exact vesrion right now)
* Minolta MC-X 2/28mm
* Minolta MD-III 2/28mm
* Minolta AF 2/28mm

Kiron and Minolta MC are a bit weaker, especially in the corners.

Canon nFD, MD-III and MinAF are nearly equal. They all are a bit soft wide open (which is OK for shooting "available light"), and very good at f5.6-f11.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Canon nFD 28/2.

stevemark wrote:
I do own the follwing 28mm f2 lenses:

* Canon new FD 2/28mm
* Kiron 2/28mm (don't know the exact vesrion right now)
* Minolta MC-X 2/28mm
* Minolta MD-III 2/28mm
* Minolta AF 2/28mm

Kiron and Minolta MC are a bit weaker, especially in the corners.

Canon nFD, MD-III and MinAF are nearly equal. They all are a bit soft wide open (which is OK for shooting "available light"), and very good at f5.6-f11.

Stephan

Canon Fd sounds interesting, if you have some sample pictures from that lens i would very highly appriciate that!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two f/2 test shots from when I first got my Vivitar Close Focus 2/28...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 28mm f/2 Close Focus, Komine version (serial number 28xxxxxx). An alternative would be the Vivitar 28mm f/1.9.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly f/2 but Rokkor 28mm f/2.5 could be an aswer for you. Wide open performance is great and usable in many instances.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonyA7Shooter wrote:

Canon Fd sounds interesting, if you have some sample pictures from that lens i would very highly appriciate that!

I am currently working in Rome and have neither access to my A7 nor to vintage MF lenses.
I might have time on Thursday, but i'm not sure.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Series 1 VMC 28 f1.9 It's a very good lens, not common but worth looking for.

http://www.ipernity.com/tag/294337/keyword/3793981

a few samples taken with the Vivitar on my Ipernity site.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Fujinon EBC 28/1.9 is one of my favourite 28's.
I do have a Rokkor-X 28/2 that's been converted to EF, that I might be willing to part with.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies!
im currently scouting ebay for either an olympus 28 f2 or nfd 28 f2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
Vivitar 28mm f/2 Close Focus, Komine version (serial number 28xxxxxx). An alternative would be the Vivitar 28mm f/1.9.

The Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus would be an excellent choice. The Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 could be a good alternative, but might not frequently be found within the $100-$200 OP's requested price range. Both are available in a number of mounts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like warm rendering get the Zuiko. It is very sharp in the centers less so on the edges (on the Sony anyway)
It just has an overall nice look to it (but I guess so do other lenses as well)

If you want cooler, get the Canon, and I guess it has less CA as well (most OM lenses are not the best in controlling that, but no big deal).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if its possible these days to get the Nikon 28mm f2 for under $200, but its center sharpness wide open is very very useful. The following is wide open using Metabones SpeedBooster on m43 sensor (so crop factor is about 1.4). The second pic is a 100% crop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Vivitar Series 1 VMC 28 f1.9 It's a very good lens, not common but worth looking for.

http://www.ipernity.com/tag/294337/keyword/3793981

a few samples taken with the Vivitar on my Ipernity site.

+1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
Not sure if its possible these days to get the Nikon 28mm f2 for under $200, but its center sharpness wide open is very very useful.

Center sharpness at f2 is never an issue, at least with those 2/28mm lenses i know. The corners make the difference: Some of the vintage 2/28mm have simply unsharp corners at f2, others have quite a lot of detail, but very low contrast in the corners.
I prefer the latter since they result in nearly perfect images when stopped down to f5.6 ... f8 (at 24MP FF).

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Center sharpness at f2 is never an issue, at least with those 2/28mm lenses i know. The corners make the difference: Some of the vintage 2/28mm have simply unsharp corners at f2, others have quite a lot of detail, but very low contrast in the corners.
I prefer the latter since they result in nearly perfect images when stopped down to f5.6 ... f8 (at 24MP FF).

Stephan, have you ever made a comparison of the same MAF or M42 wide angle lens on both bodies A7 and A900?
I would be curios to know whether the corner sharpness is worse on the A7 because of the known sensor stack issues on that camera.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tb_a"]
stevemark wrote:

Stephan, have you ever made a comparison of the same MAF or M42 wide angle lens on both bodies A7 and A900?
I would be curios to know whether the corner sharpness is worse on the A7 because of the known sensor stack issues on that camera.

If you think that SLR lenses might be different on A7 and A900, you're most probably wrong.

1) Also the A900 probably has a quite thick sensor stack (i would guess at least 1.5mm, probably more)
2) Using critical SLR lenses (MD-III 1.2/50mm, MD-III 2/28mm) on both the M240 and the A7II did not result in different corner resolution

Clear corner resolution differences between M240 and A7 series can only be seen when using fast rangefinder wideangle lenses.
When using superwide lenses which an exit pupil very close to the sensor (C-Biogon 4.5/21mm for example) the A7 has slightly less corner resolution, but also much less color shift towards the corners than the M240.

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Stephan.

Some users here reported also SLR wide angle issues on A7. I've never heard anything comparable on the A900 nor did I realize something like this on my A850. That was the reason I was asking. I don't have an A7 myself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Thanks, Stephan.

Some users here reported also SLR wide angle issues on A7. I've never heard anything comparable on the A900 nor did I realize something like this on my A850. That was the reason I was asking. I don't have an A7 myself.

Which lenses are reported to have such issues? Maybe you have some links? I'm interested to check them Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Thanks, Stephan.

i think you are talking about leica M mount wide angle lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Which lenses are reported to have such issues? Maybe you have some links? I'm interested to check them.

Sorry, but I can't remember. It was a discussion here more than a year ago and referring to the sensor stack modification of the A7. It was stated that it may also make sense for SLR wide angles to increase corner sharpness.
However, you stated that you didn't realize any differences and I have to believe you as I can't check it myself.

thebbm wrote:
i think you are talking about leica M mount wide angle lenses.

I am definitely not talking about RF lenses where this issue is more than evident.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Canon nFD 28/2 on ebay (80€ seems like a decent deal), I've been on a fruitless search for the Minolta MDIII 28/2 for far too long. Stephan calling the Canon "nearly equal" to the Minolta is good enough for me, so I'll give it a try.
It's a design with floating elements like the nFD 35/2, I fear it might have sample variation issues like the 35/2.

EDIT: Here's agood description of the problem (in German unfortunately).

I can post a comparison with the Minolta 28/2.5 (MC-X version), the Pentax K28/3.5 and my nFD35/2, if anyone's interested.

Last edited by Boris_Akunin on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
I just picked up a Canon nFD 28/2 on ebay (80� seems like a decent deal), I've been on a fruitless search for the Minolta MDIII 28/2 for far too long. Stephan calling the Canon "nearly equal" to the Minolta is good enough for me, so I'll give it a try.
It's a design with floating elements like the nFD 35/2, I fear it might have sample variation issues like the 35/2.

I can post a comparison with the Minolta 28/2.5 (MC-X version), the Pentax K28/3.5 and my nFD35/2, if anyone's interested.

Please, do it.

I think (only think) that the K Pentax has the winner lens of the three.

Let see the real world