Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best method to couple Paxette (L39) to Nex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Best method to couple Paxette (L39) to Nex Reply with quote

Looking for the best method to attach a SM Quinar 3.5/85mm to Nex

I am thinking L39/M42 then M42 helicoid - but is there a preferred solution?

also I hear there are adapters to EOS but I dont seem to see any.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your lens for a Paxette rangefinder camera? If so, it will have its own focusing mount, which is good, but will have a register distance longer than a Leica rangefinder camera. In that case, you'll need a short extension tube (can't recall the thickness, but Googling will turn it up for you) plus a Nex to L39 adapter.

Going for a helicoid will almost certainly mean you won't be able to get back to infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a Paxette lens with B39 thread.

You cant buy an off the shelf adapter.

I made an adapter from a L39 adapter with a removeable ring. I put a small extension tube on the adapter to make it up to 44mm then glued the L39 mount inside it. It works just fine although to be honest the lenses are hardly worth the trouble.

Mine now acts as as an extension tube for my Jupiter 8.

You can use a Zenit 39mm adapter (or M42) but that pushes the lens a little too far forward and infinity is lost.

If you live in the UK and have a L39 adapter with removeable ring I can make one for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either with short M42 to NEX adapter + M39 to M42 adapter or M39/LTM to NEX adapter with tubes/helicoids/bellows etc.. If you can access a lathe, it should quiet easy to make one from a M42 to NEX adapter with a mounting ring from a L39 to NEX adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
If you can access a lathe, it should quiet easy to make one from a M42 to NEX adapter with a mounting ring from a L39 to NEX adapter.

Do you mean remove the ring from the NEX/M42 and reduce its thickness?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Is your lens for a Paxette rangefinder camera? If so, it will have its own focusing mount, which is good, but will have a register distance longer than a Leica rangefinder camera. In that case, you'll need a short extension tube (can't recall the thickness, but Googling will turn it up for you) plus a Nex to L39 adapter.

Going for a helicoid will almost certainly mean you won't be able to get back to infinity.

I am looking at thin helicoids atm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Assuming you have a Paxette lens with B39 thread.

You cant buy an off the shelf adapter.

I made an adapter from a L39 adapter with a removeable ring. I put a small extension tube on the adapter to make it up to 44mm then glued the L39 mount inside it. It works just fine although to be honest the lenses are hardly worth the trouble.

Mine now acts as as an extension tube for my Jupiter 8.

You can use a Zenit 39mm adapter (or M42) but that pushes the lens a little too far forward and infinity is lost.

If you live in the UK and have a L39 adapter with removeable ring I can make one for you.

Thanks but I think maybe a helicoid maybe preferred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
If you can access a lathe, it should quiet easy to make one from a M42 to NEX adapter with a mounting ring from a L39 to NEX adapter.

Do you mean remove the ring from the NEX/M42 and reduce its thickness?

Yes. If you prefer a native M39/LTM mount, you replace the ring with the one in LTM to NEX adapter. I have few helicoids in different length so I will go for helicoid method to increase the close focus ability.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Yes. If you prefer a native M39/LTM mount, you replace the ring with the one in LTM to NEX adapter. I have few helicoids in different length so I will go for helicoid method to increase the close focus ability.

Yes the helicoid will help with the MFD, the Quinar is only 1.2m

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This helicoid will probably do the job. Click here to see on Ebay

A perfect extension tube for when you decide the Quinar isnt worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
This helicoid will probably do the job. Click here to see on Ebay

A perfect extension tube for when you decide the Quinar isnt worth it.

Thats a decent price!, has that vintage Takumar look to it as well, Thanks

EDIT

18 + 27 = 45, so no it wont hit INF, needs to be 44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this would be a possibility, not the cheapest, but the fastest interchangeable way to bring the Braun Paxette lenses to a NEX oder A7 ! Very Happy

you can find it in the sticky "VNEX" thread on page 3...

Or with the new VµFT Version also on Fuji or µFT cams

And clearly not only Braun Paxette are adaptable, also enlarger lenses with register distance above ~42mm

cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry

Yes I had forgotten about the beautiful VNex system. Sadly I have already ordered a helicoid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm got my helicoid its about 1.5mm too long for the B39 lenses - bummer. I can use it for my enlarger lenses and as an extra M42 adapter so not all is lost. I think a shorter adapter and a very thin M42 extension tube if you want to go this way.

My adapter is made from 2 sets extension tubes, the camera fitting is NEX the lens fitting is M42. I screwed them together, which made it too short then unscrewed each piece separately until the desired distance was achieved. I ran glue into the open threads to lock it all together. Then a nasty silver paint job. Scruffy but it works.

By the way the helical is an extremely well made bit of kit, it has a double helical so the lens does not rotate. Not bad for just under £20 post paid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebay codes for my purchases

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can look for the vintage adapter Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that lens, nice Little Cooke triplet.

Do you know the meaning of the -E- designation in the Paxette series of lenses.

Does it means Economy or something entirely different?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
I have that lens, nice Little Cooke triplet.

Do you know the meaning of the -E- designation in the Paxette series of lenses.

Does it means Economy or something entirely different?

It is said that E denotes 'for Braun' i.e not leica.

You can now buy a Braun to Leica adaptor. I got one recently. It allows me to use my Brauns on anything I can put my M39's on. The adaptor needs some (simple) adjustment for use with Leicas but works well with anything else. Click here to see on Ebay

The adaptor is a little wide I think, It could probably be machined down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E means coupled if I don`t remember wrong Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, when writing the above I remembered there were other letters than E used. Here is my little collection with E (coupled), C and R both uncoupled.

I haven't a clue what the C and R mean.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C is probably Coated Wink