Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best M42 f1.4 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Best M42 f1.4 lens Reply with quote

Hi,
which old M42 f1.4 lens would you choose (say in the normal focal length range) based on following criteria:

- very beautiful bokeh
- decent sharpness WO, very good sharpness at other aperture

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Auto Yashinon DX. 50 / 1.4 a lot on my Sony A6000, it's sharp enough, and has lovely bokeh and colours. It's the only 1.4 M42 I've got - my other 1.4's are Rokkor and Zuiko - and although I haven't tested them back to back I think the Yashinon is up there with the bigger brand lenses. It's very good.

I'm not sure what aperture these were taken at, but I usually go one stop down from wide open .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the EBC Fujinon 50mm f/1.4 ! very good all around lens. bokeh could be better though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not so many M42 lenses in F1.4. Besides the shown Yashinon there are several different Pentax Takumar ones and there is also a Fujinon lens.
I have the Pentax Super Takumar 50mm/F1.4 in M42 and I really like it. The bokeh is very smooth and creamy and stopped down it is tack sharp as well.

All examples at F1.4:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Tomioka made Auto Chinon 55mm f1.4 in m42. I just picked one up last weekend but not given it a run-out yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
There's also the Tomioka made Auto Chinon 55mm f1.4 in m42. I just picked one up last weekend but not given it a run-out yet.

Please share some pictures, when you have got some.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:

That is the same as the Revuenon branded lens. I sold mine because i have way too many lenses, but it's absolutely worth getting one!

Some samples:
One stop from wide open:
Staring... by René Maly, on Flickr

Pink nose by René Maly, on Flickr

Wide open f/1.4
f/1.4: in the light of a tablet by René Maly, on Flickr

That 55mm f/1.4 lens is available in many guises, many topics have been written about it on this forum. There are supposed to be 2 manufacturers of which one is Tomioka.
I still have the Rikenon 55mm f/1.4, i wouldn't be surprised if that is also the same lens:

A happy cat... by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
That 55mm f/1.4 lens is available in many guises, many topics have been written about it on this forum. There are supposed to be 2 manufacturers of which one is Tomioka.
I still have the Rikenon 55mm f/1.4, i wouldn't be surprised if that is also the same lens.

Cosinon, Auto Sears, Porst Color Reflex, Auto Reflecta, Super Reflecta, Exaktar, Super Carenar, etc...

Most probably all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like #2 David.... Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Thomas,the Pentax 50mm f1.4 Is hard to beat all round.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably say the most beautiful bokeh is from the CJZ 55/1.4 pancolar.. massively expensive though

But a decent all around and affordable lens would be the Takumar 50/1.4..if you care, they say the 8-element is sharper and doesn't have the radioactive element (not prone to yellowing)

--mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the yashinon dx 50mm 1.4, it's a very good lens and its wide open sharpness, judgung it through the viewfinder of a reflex, is not very different from the zeiss 50mmm planar 1.7.

Colors are on the bluish side (on a canon 550D).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139977186@N07/32395870104/in/dateposted-public/

The yashinon at full aperture on a canon 550D, 1600 ISO

It is quite radioactive, i keep it into a sarcophagus of lead sheets when stored in my house.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind getting another cheap adapter, there are other great 1.4 50s you can get pretty cheap. The Rokkor MD 50mm f1.4 being one of them.

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same 55mm 1.4 marked ricoh rikenon and have seen the same lens labelled mamiya sekor. A fine lens. Can be had in good working order for 60-70 USD. It gets my vote. I also have the both super-tak and S-M-C versions of Asahi's 50mm 1.4., the Yashica 50 1.4 and the fuji 50 1.4. I prefer the rikenon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOPCOR 1.4/58mm https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157634078368017
Razor sharp, wonderful colors, beautiful bokeh!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcor is definitely amongst the best normal lens but.... um uh..... I have never seen it in m42.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw wrote:
If you don't mind getting another cheap adapter, there are other great 1.4 50s you can get pretty cheap. The Rokkor MD 50mm f1.4 being one of them.

Like 1

That is of course a whole different thread!

What are the great normal lenses. Factor sharpness, bokeh, ergonomics, manufacturing quality, price.

My current winner? The Konica Hexanon AR 57mm 1.4.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh lord. This is breathtakingly stunning. Even (or rather, because) the background is the same violet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
devinw wrote:

Like 1

That is of course a whole different thread!

What are the great normal lenses. Factor sharpness, bokeh, ergonomics, manufacturing quality, price.

My current winner? The Konica Hexanon AR 57mm 1.4.

True indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on this Hungarian page: http://hispan.hu/50mm-lens-test/
Scroll down to see different designs M42 for Rikenon 1.4/55mm and PORST 1.4/55mm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
There are not so many M42 lenses in F1.4. Besides the shown Yashinon there are several different Pentax Takumar ones and there is also a Fujinon lens.
I have the Pentax Super Takumar 50mm/F1.4 in M42 and I really like it. The bokeh is very smooth and creamy and stopped down it is tack sharp as well. ......

Long time ago (film's time) I had a SMC Takumar 1,4/50 and if I return to 50 mm lens, I should look for one again.

Which S. T. do you have) The oldest 8 elements (I had one too, very prone to flare to my taste, but fine images) or the newer 7 elements?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
tb_a wrote:
I have the Pentax Super Takumar 50mm/F1.4 in M42 and I really like it. The bokeh is very smooth and creamy and stopped down it is tack sharp as well. ......

Long time ago (film's time) I had a SMC Takumar 1,4/50 and if I return to 50 mm lens, I should look for one again.

Which S. T. do you have) The oldest 8 elements (I had one too, very prone to flare to my taste, but fine images) or the newer 7 elements?

Mine is the 2nd version (7 lenses in 6 groups).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Topcor is definitely amongst the best normal lens but.... um uh..... I have never seen it in m42.

There is a cheap ring being sold from China, which turns Exakta lenses to M2 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many over the years, and have onsold most.
The ones that I have kept are the Super Takumar (8 element), the SMC Pentax, the Yashinon-DX and the Rikenon.
I know that I do not need this many - obviously - but all are excellent in their own way.
There was a time when they were very cheap to buy but that time is gone.
If I could have found an RE Auto Topcor 58mm at a reasonable price it would have been my first choice, but it has always been too expensive for me (not M42 though of course).
T