Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best M42 f1.4 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 SMC Pentax 1:1.4/50 -- EDIT: That should be the M42 SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50

Adapt a Nikkor!

The Elephant over there is the Helios 44M 2/58...

Last edited by visualopsins on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how everybody thinks 50mm when Normal is mentioned.

And everybody knows Normal depends on sensor format!!!

For Aps-C sensor size the normal lens is 28-35mm range...

For Aps-C, then, how about Zeiss 1.4/35, etc.., or a Korean/Chinese optics?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Notice how everybody thinks 50mm when Normal is mentioned.

And everybody knows Normal depends on sensor format!!!

For Aps-C sensor size the normal lens is 28-35mm range...

For Aps-C, then, how about Zeiss 1.4/35, etc.., or a Korean/Chinese optics?

Well, yes - but some of us still use film.
Smile
T

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Auto Yashinon DX 50 / 1.4 out this afternoon, in the grey drizzle, and I wasn't disappointed. I do like this lens.

Both shots wide open at 1.4

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20173/big_1849_Auto_Yashinon_DX_50_14_FRONT_1.jpg]
[/url]

This is a beautifully made lens, it's solid and silky smooth, and a pleasure to use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Good job on this Hungarian page: http://hispan.hu/50mm-lens-test/
Scroll down to see different designs M42 for Rikenon 1.4/55mm and PORST 1.4/55mm.

great images, my Hungarian is .... uh... nonexistent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick images from some of my lenses.
Some observations:
The SMC Pentax is not M42 of course
The Rikenon is 55mm while the others are 50mm.
The Yashinon does not focus as closely as the others.
All images straight from camera with no PP - only resizing
To my eye there is little between them for sharpness. The Super-Takumar or the Rikenon could be the sharpest of the M42 wide open, and I cannot pick between the bokeh renditions
The smallest lens is the Super-Takumar, and it is of course the easiest M42 for me to use, and would be my favourite if I was pushed to choose

#1 SMC Pentax 1.4/50

#2 Rikenon 1.4/55

#3 Super-Takumar 1.4/50

#4 Auto Yashinon DX 1.4/50

And since Nikon/Nikkor was mentioned above, here is a shot with the Nikkor AI 1.4/50 for the record

And while I'm at it I'd better include a shot from the Canon FDn 1.4/50 for the sake of semi-completeness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:
That 55mm f/1.4 lens is available in many guises, many topics have been written about it on this forum. There are supposed to be 2 manufacturers of which one is Tomioka.
I still have the Rikenon 55mm f/1.4, i wouldn't be surprised if that is also the same lens.

Cosinon, Auto Sears, Porst Color Reflex, Auto Reflecta, Super Reflecta, Exaktar, Super Carenar, etc...

Most probably all the same.

I was so impressed by the Mamiya 55/1.4 that I ended up buying 3 more variants: another Mamiya, the Sears, and a Chinon. I have to stop myself from grabbing these whenever they pop up for a low price.

But the compactness of the Takumar 50 makes it a better match for a Sony in travel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Some quick images from some of my lenses.
Some observations:
The Rikenon is 55mm while the others are 50mm.
The Yashinon does not focus as closely as the others.
All images straight from camera with no PP - only resizing
To my eye there is little between them for sharpness. The Super-Takumar or the Rikenon could be the sharpest of the M42 wide open, and I cannot pick between the bokeh renditions
The smallest lens is the Super-Takumar, and it is of course the easiest M42 for me to use, and would be my favourite if I was pushed to choose

Hi Thomas,
thanks for sharing!

I like the picture made with the Nikon. The Yashinon has a busy but interesting bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
The Yashinon has a busy but interesting bokeh.

It would be quite similar but as Oldhand says MFD is longer resulting in different conditions (see wider angle captured).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashinon bokeh can be a bit fussy, as in my picture of the gravestone where the grass and twigs are 'fussy' when the picture is enlarged, but it can be dreamy as well - this picture was wide open with the camera just resting on the top rail of a wooden fence, lens at min focus distance on nothing in particular, it's just to see how small the DoF is really. But the trees and branches in this picture are not at all fussy, although they are further away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Good catch! Thanks Oldhand. I meant to say the M42 SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have both the 8 and 7 element super tak I could see no difference between them in an informal hand held test. I like tak lenses a lot but mine are cosmetically pretty nice and my rikenon is optically and functionally perfect but quite worn so I have no issue taking it out and using it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.
This lens is also not M42 so, sorry that it is outside of the original thread, but I will include it here as it was mentioned earlier.
Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.4
More glow wide open than the others, but then again this is its charm.
T

#7 Konica Hexanon 1.4/57

Last edited by Oldhand on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
TOPCOR 1.4/58mm https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157634078368017
Razor sharp, wonderful colors, beautiful bokeh!

Wow.. wonderful lens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly one 50mm f/1.4 lens in M42, and its the only one I've ever owned. It's an old Super Tak, and I dunno how many elements it has. I do know it's the more common one, though. I've never used it with a digital camera until today. I've only used it with my Spotmatic.

So I mounted it to my NEX 7 with an M42 adapter and took it outside, then proceeded to wander around, looking for halfway decent subjects to shoot. Usually this means flowers, and today was no different.

I found two subjects. I shot each subject at f/1.4 and f/8, mostly to see how soft the lens was wide open. It isn't as sharp wide open as it is at f/8, but the difference is not that great, either. So, here are the shots.

Succulent flowers @ f/1.4:

Succulent flowers @ f/8:

Rose bud @ f/1.4:

Rose bud @ f/8:

100% crops of the four points of focus:

Succulent flowers:

Rose bud:

Conclusion: At the exact point of focus, there is not a large difference between the lens's performance between f/1.4 and f/8. There is a difference, to be sure, just not a large one. The main difference between the two settings is that much more detail is in focus at f/8 than at f/1.4.

One thing you might notice is the bokeh at f/1.4. It is unpleasantly busy to me. I have other f/1.4 normals with much smoother bokeh when set wide open. So, this imits this lens's usefulness for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
One thing you might notice is the bokeh at f/1.4. It is unpleasantly busy to me. I have other f/1.4 normals with much smoother bokeh when set wide open. So, this imits this lens's usefulness for me.

Michael, sorry but I have to disagree. I don't believe that any other lens (exept a F1.2 one wide open) would be much smoother on pictures like the succulent flower one and only a direct comparison would tell. I've done direct comparisons on fast fifties recently to compare primarily the bokeh rendering and the bokeh of the ST 50mm/F1.4 was not bad at all under the same conditions.

Have a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/comparison-of-fast-50s-t76796.html

So IMHO the ST delivers a rather smooth and pleasant bokeh. At least I like it and you can also see in your rose bud example and my examples posted here earlier in this thread on the previous page. An unpleasantly busy bokeh would IMHO be a typical ugly and nervous Trioplan donut bokeh where the bubbles dominate the picture.

However, personal perceptions and tastes are obviously very different and there is no sense to discuss about taste. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have exactly one 50mm f/1.4 lens in M42, and its the only one I've ever owned. It's an old Super Tak, and I dunno how many elements it has. I do know it's the more common one, though. I've never used it with a digital camera until today. I've only used it with my Spotmatic.

So I mounted it to my NEX 7 with an M42 adapter and took it outside, then proceeded to wander around, looking for halfway decent subjects to shoot. Usually this means flowers, and today was no different.

I found two subjects. I shot each subject at f/1.4 and f/8, mostly to see how soft the lens was wide open. It isn't as sharp wide open as it is at f/8, but the difference is not that great, either. So, here are the shots.

Succulent flowers @ f/1.4:

Nice picture!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to "disagree" with both Michael and Thomas. Laughing

Busy or Smooth bokeh can be produced, depending on background. Ex. Blades of Grass vs. Distant Foliage. Grass will tend to produce a "busier" bokeh than the smooth background produced by the distant foliage...

Couple that with numerous online comments and examples of the TAKUMAR producing both -- here is where I disagree -- could be the lens enhances the bokeh so as to exaggerate whichever bokeh is produced -- busy bokeh appears busier than with another lens; smooth bokeh is smoother than with another lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess you're both right and I was being too judgmental at the moment. I did go back and look at some shots taken with my Canon and Nikon 50/1.4s, which helped me to realize my errors, as well. I've been doing a fair amount of macro stuff and telephoto shots lately and I think this has bent my perception some as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikenon bokeh WO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Rikenon bokeh WO

That's exactly what I would call an unpleasantly busy bokeh where the bubbles dominate the picture.
Sorry, but I hate bubbles and/or donuts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
memetph wrote:
Rikenon bokeh WO

That's exactly what I would call an unpleasantly busy bokeh where the bubbles dominate the picture.

I think Rikenon has done fantastic job considering the conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
tb_a wrote:
memetph wrote:
Rikenon bokeh WO

I think Rikenon has done fantastic job considering the conditions.

No sense to argue about taste. For me it's crappy. Sorry.
However, I know that others may find it fantastic. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

There is a cheap ring being sold from China, which turns Exakta lenses to M2 Wink

Thanks for this information - which means that i can use the RE Topcors even on the A900 DSLR!

Stephan